Cancelled (3 Viewers)

A windup of every man over 40, yes, and a successful one at that.

26F5081D00000578-0-image-m-40_1504138867643.jpg

What the fuck!! There are MEN in this band!! MEN|!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A windup of every man over 40, yes, and a successful one at that.

Agist, gendering post there from lilli #cancelled.

While on one hand i'm pretty aware that the new gens adore everything to be completely literal and there's nothing really wrong with commerciall rebranding for the people who want to come to your shows - I'm wound up and over 40 because, well, the point is that it is art, as Unicron says, it just is. Not everything I don't like is deliberate attack on my subconcious or my social standing - it's bad faith to make that assumption - And i'm not making digs at Gilla Bandilli here moreso the people who have A: taken public possession of that art and B: decided it was doing things I really don't think it ever had the slightest intention of doing. I do not think for a second they picked that name to wind up women - and its not over 40s men who've steered them here.

Creating really needs people getting into thier most niave, idealist, removed from reality selves - of course there are 1000's of songwriters who'll write you 'happy birthday over 40s man special song' on contract and hit machines who see it as a sport and all different types but the idea that art can be possessed 3rd party and reshaped is what I don't like about this. Of course they can do what they like, people can do what they like but you have to respect that people making art are trying to hit an apex of expression and sometimes a dumb band name gives a naive enough mental space to remove yourself from reality long enough to create in. I just see some people taking things overly literally, stepping into that space and throwing monkeys on peoples backs.

I am so cancelled.

I think you'll find that fans now sue computer game companies for not providing product with the right ending, and I reckon Neil Young would lose his Trans (!!!!!) lawsuit if it happened in 2021.

Is art and metaphor the loser here? Yes. We need to tell the kids to shut the fuck up for sure, but also if someone wants to change their band name because they were sick of trying to explain away something they had no strong feelings about then let them. Start a new thread about the death of metaphor, god knows I have some opinions on that!

Last edited:
Yeah, I've no problem with them changing their name, but feeling they have to issue a statement apologizing for any hurt or offense they might have caused by calling themselves girl band when there are no girls in the band. It's one of the lamest things I've heard in a long time.

CC to the you know you're getting old thread.

Last edited:
I think you'll find that fans now sue computer game companies for not providing product with the right ending and I reckon Neil Young would lose his Trans (!!!!!) lawsuit if it happened in 2021.
When i was having my over 40s man rant there i was thinking about when zappa spent years defending singing about satan and blow jobs and stuff in court against republicans in the 80s. I was wondering how that A vs B would sit present day - but yeah you are right, i'm mostly using this as an example of art losing out to people being overly literal because it's fish in a barrel for that.

like shooting fish in a barrel​

Ridiculously easy, as in Setting up a computer nowadays is like shooting fish in a barrel. This hyperbolic expression alludes to the fact that fish make an easy target inside a barrel (as opposed to swimming freely in the sea). [Early 1900s]

When i was having my over 40s man rant there i was thinking about when zappa spent years defending singing about satan and blow jobs and stuff in court against republicans in the 80s. I was wondering how that A vs B would sit present day - but yeah you are right, i'm mostly using this as an example of art losing out to people being overly literal because it's fish in a barrel for that.
This analogy is offensive to vegans and elevates the voice of gun rights lobbyists.

Agist, gendering post there from lilli #cancelled.

While on one hand i'm pretty aware that the new gens adore everything to be completely literal and there's nothing really wrong with commerciall rebranding for the people who want to come to your shows - I'm wound up and over 40 because, well, the point is that it is art, as Unicron says, it just is. Not everything I don't like is deliberate attack on my subconcious or my social standing - it's bad faith to make that assumption - And i'm not making digs at Gilla Bandilli here moreso the people who have A: taken public possession of that art and B: decided it was doing things I really don't think it ever had the slightest intention of doing. I do not think for a second they picked that name to wind up women - and its not over 40s men who've steered them here.

Creating really needs people getting into thier most niave, idealist, removed from reality selves - of course there are 1000's of songwriters who'll write you 'happy birthday over 40s man special song' on contract and hit machines who see it as a sport and all different types but the idea that art can be possessed 3rd party and reshaped is what I don't like about this. Of course they can do what they like, people can do what they like but you have to respect that people making art are trying to hit an apex of expression and sometimes a dumb band name gives a naive enough mental space to remove yourself from reality long enough to create in. I just see some people taking things overly literally, stepping into that space and throwing monkeys on peoples backs.

I am so cancelled.
I was actually getting the impression from all of this that they decided on the name change themselves rather than being coerced into it. That they probably came up with the name naively but had moved on since.

On a semi-related note, I was listening to a recent interview with Milo from the Descendents where he talked about how there’s certain songs that they don’t perform anymore, like Pervert and I’m Not a Loser.It could be portrayed that woke younger people stopped them performing what they wanted, but the reality was that as they grew up and matured they weren’t comfortable with the content of those songs.

I’d say it’s something similar with Gilla Band

the reality was that as they grew up and matured they weren’t comfortable with the content of those songs.
I can relate to that. I used to do Violent Femmes Country Death Song when I was busking years ago. Wouldn't do it now. Or any of that nationalistic nonsense like Only Our Rivers Run Free. Come Out Ye Black And Tans is handy to know though if you want to deliberately offend someone

by way of comparison...

I always thought rapeman was a stupid, offensive, sexist name for a band (and I saw in a recent interview that apparently albini now agrees, just thirty years too late)

but at the same time I always tended to give it a pass of sorts, in the context of the times. rapeman was just one more gross-out name in amongst anal cunt, piss christ, nailbomb, midget handjob, butthole surfers, 1000 homo DJs, john cougar concentration camp, etc, etc, etc. — another entry in the grand tradition of shock as performative strategy.

so the girl band thing seems... trivial? I don’t know what word to use here that doesn’t seem dismissive: I’m not trying to be dismissive about it.

from the perspective of the kids, I suppose I’m a product of my times, just like the racist grandad of yore. and maybe that’s for the best. it’s their world now. interesting to read the perspectives here, might go seek out some from the young uns too.

and for the band, if they think this is what’s best, all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back