Cancelled (5 Viewers)

i once unthinkingly wore a t-shirt through dusseldorf airport with this design on it. one of the security guards took issue with it, but the rest found it funny.

Tangentially related, but I own a Consolidated t-shirt with a swastika on it that I almost wore on a flight to Germany about a million years ago. Boy would my face have been red.
The Swastika has a weird status in Germany, it's somehow an illegal (?) symbol now. I dunno exactly how that works.

Anyway, there was a town called Munster which had a bit of land taken off a jewish lad and some class of a military installation built on it, complete with iron swastika. After WWII the jewish guy had somehow not died, and as part of reparations the German gov gave back the land to him, complete with military bunker yoke.

I think the Jewish guy had fucked off somewhere at this point, he accepted receipt of the land back, and did nothing. Just left it as is, as a fuck-you to germany I suppose. At some point the swastika law came into effect, and the guy was told he needed to at least take down the massive swastika off the building.

Once again he told them to fuck off, and told them they were not permitted on his property. So that carried on for another while (like, a long time, into the 80s). People eventually had enough, went onto his property and cut down the illegal swastika. But at this point in time the building had grayed, and the swastika had left a pale shadow on the wall, clearly visible.

At this point I think they gave up, but there was a clearly visible swastika in the edge of the town up until the 90s at least, despite being illegal.

I dunno. For some reason my inner prick resonated with all this.

I have a friend who works (lol) as a tour guide in Germany, including the occasional trip to the local concentration camp.

And yeah, promoting fascism is very illegal, and they're quite touchy about it. So he's had encounters where he's standing on the street with a sign saying "multilingual walking history tours" or whatever, and the Polizei march up to him aggressively demanding to see his papers.
"Why?"
"We need to make sure you're not promoting fascism! Papieren! SCHNELL!"
"You guys see the irony here, yeah?"

It's a very fine line that him and all his tour guide mates have to walk in Germany.

Can't believe it took 11 posts for someone to say that. Which if you ask me is one of the most pointless things you can ever say (sorry scutter).

I mean he’s just saying what every CEO, boss and landlord in the country thinks 🤷🏻‍♂️
I did some unconscious bias training in work, which was kind of an eye opener from the perspective of how little Americans know about history, or the rest of the world at all. The trainer claimed genocide was invented by a pope sometime after Europeans arrived in the Americas. I was talking to the CTO about it afterwards, and she agreed that the training hadn't really been a success, as "all the Europeans hated it"

The trainer claimed genocide was invented by a pope sometime after Europeans arrived in the Americas.
As in that's the origin of the word?

I'd assume genocide as a concept goes back as long as human history does. Killing stuff is pretty much human's main forte.

Has anyone actually gotten rid of albums, films, books ect...by artists that haven been exposed as abusers or generally horrible people?
I've a load of Marilyn Manson albums for sale if anyone wants them.

I do remember, about 15 or more years ago, hearing a Lostprophets song on Kerrang or one of them channels and thinking it sounded alright and that I might pick up the album at some stage. I was really glad afterwards that I never did

I think Lost Prophets are the benchmark for cancelling. I can't think of anyone else who's been so wiped from the public consciousness. Gary Glitter maybe, but LP had real devoted fans at the time, who now just don't acknowledge their existence. Must suck to be one of the other guys in that band.

I think Lost Prophets are the benchmark for cancelling. I can't think of anyone else who's been so wiped from the public consciousness. Gary Glitter maybe, but LP had real devoted fans at the time, who now just don't acknowledge their existence. Must suck to be one of the other guys in that band.
Didn't they start that Prophets of Rage band after or do I have that arseways? I think they were able to salvage some sort of career afterwards.
I think they actually got more cancelled than Gary Glitter. Gary Glitter's music is actually still on Spotify. Not so with LP.

Must suck to be one of the other guys in that band.
I remember reading a thing at the time of the singer’s trial that was basically saying, hey, the rest of the band are not innocent here. they spent a decade with this guy. they knew what he was like.

not sure how black-and-white it all was, but I remember it sounding about right to me. if you’re in a touring band you get to know all about each other, good and bad.

I remember reading a thing at the time of the singer’s trial that was basically saying, hey, the rest of the band are not innocent here. they spent a decade with this guy. they knew what he was like.

not sure how black-and-white it all was, but I remember it sounding about right to me. if you’re in a touring band you get to know all about each other, good and bad.

Yeah, very true. I know people who were fans at the time, as giddy teenage girls, met the band, sat in the tourbus etc. Even in retrospect they said nothing untoward happened.

Yerman was living in America when he did what he did, so I'd like to think no one else knew what he'd sink to. But maybe not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back