Buying stuff from the UK - records, cds, t-shirts etc - your experience of VAT and sneaky fees post-Brexit (1 Viewer)

Nate Champion

I suspect this has been mentioned in a few places already.

Juno Records in the UK have something I'm keen to buy. They claim to pay the VAT [import TAX]... anyone bought from them since? Or Boomkat, Norman etc since Brexit hit?

HHV in Germany seems to be goosed given the packaging dilemma... OHM Sound in Italy... could that be a goer?

They pay the import tax probably means you pay them and they pass on to the tax office.

Buying records by post is just getting more and more stupidly expensive.

Juno Records in the UK have something I'm keen to buy. They claim to pay the VAT [import TAX]... anyone bought from them since? Or Boomkat, Norman etc since Brexit hit?

HHV in Germany seems to be goosed given the packaging dilemma... OHM Sound in Italy... could that be a goer?

I’ve shopped with Juno a few times and I recently bought a couple of things in their sale. Zero problems. I’ve also bought from Norman Records, I don’t recall if they have the same setup as Juno but I didn’t get stung for VAT.

Perfect. Cheers MacDara.

There's a threshold as well for buying smaller amounts... or has anyone been stung for buying less than 20eu's worth of stuff?

I'm awaiting something from HHV that was bought I think prior to the packaging legislation...but one of the things I bought got a postponed release...so, I'm interested to see how that plays out now.

There's a threshold as well for buying smaller amounts... or has anyone been stung for buying less than 20eu's worth of stuff?
That includes the price of shipping so even if you buy a €19.99 record, if the shipping tips it over the threshold then you’ll be stung.

One company I order from (not records, nerdy tabletop gaming stuff) pays the VAT without changing their prices. I think if the mark up and the volume is high enough, it actually suits to pay that and keep the orders flowing in from Europe.

I haven't bought a thing from the UK since the vat rules changed. I would prefer to but I'm not paying the extra charges. I gotten a few CDs through the Amazon Germany marketplace. I thought they were lost in the post. They took 3 - 5 weeks to arrive.

The seller or marketplace outside of the EU can collect the tax at the point of sale and pay that to a nominated EU state afterward and must charge the rate of tax of the buyers country. It can only be done for goods of value under 150€. According to the EU it is to make a more fair and simpler market.

I paid import tax on an lp from bandcamp fom the UK once and knew I would but am not sure if BC have put a system in place yet. Soundohm I used once and were fine they ship with fedex. I expect that I will be changed on something from Florida soon but I dont mind it's pretty normal to pay tax anyway two things I know with no tax are salt and books.

Just send me a link and I'll get it over to you. I'd like to pop home soon, but I will be back for Xmas.

If that helps.

What packaging dilemma? I'm about to place a hhv order.

I got some tapes and CDs off a guy in Wales who ran a small DIY operation late last year.
he just sent them and neither of us had to pay any taxes but that was they only time I got away with it so far.
actually, I think I only bought things from the UK three times since 7/2021.
UK postage was always really expensive anyway.

the Dischord 7" x5 boxed set which cost about 45 Euro, cost me 7 or 8 Euro extra in duty (from the US)
the postage was the big problem with that one.

EDIT: Soundohm in Milan are great to deal with. their postage is very reasonable. esp compared to UK.

Last edited:
What packaging dilemma? I'm about to place a hhv order.

I thought it was posted in some thread by Gary from Knifed... possibly the minor complaints or one of the Discogs thread... but couldn't find the post... something about the size of packaging changing in correlation to the price...

Can anyone find the post?

There's a service between letterkenny and strabane (barely in Norn Iron) called The Postal Store.

You get your uk goods delivered to their strabane address and they courier it to their letterkenny depot. They text you when it's there and you go down and collect it. There are three prices I think, Usually only costs like €3 for a record. Might be €6 for a big heavy box.
There is an upper limit of items valued at €135 or something.
Helps avoid additional vat/customs etc

If any of you want to use this service I'm down in Dublin every few weeks so can pick up and bring down for you

Ledgebag.

Don't make me abuse this service.

I bought two Dr. Feelgood and three Roy Harper records in Newcastle there for £60, and I was like "fuck you Ryanair cunts, I'm bringing vinyl on the plane!"

Though the actual trip itself felt like the plane was being dragged over rocks in the sky, so I was amazed the vinyl remained intact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back