Buying second hand cameras? (1 Viewer)

I have a Canon 5D and I nevvvvver use it.

thats a lovely camera - although sold mine as I never use it either.

keep an eye out for the pentax k1000/kx/km or the pentax mx. both go for significantly less that the nikon or olympus equivalent, and lens are good and cheap also. pentax made pro gear in the 70s/early 80s, so the stuff is as good as the equiavlent. also pentax never changed their lens mount(unlike canon and nikon), so you can use any pentax lens from 1975 on any camera produced subsequently.

I do. I just finished a darkroom course, so am excited to get going, as long as I don't make a massive balls of it and turn my finances into a large mess of unholy nothing. I also have a lot of room in my house, so thought about trying to develop from home.

Will have a look at those cameras! They all seem to be in decent condition from that shop!

also - while camera clubs are often filled with weirdos and wankers (lie thumped in a way) they may have their own darkroom facilities (or be able to provide access to same). see if tehres one in the locality..

thats a lovely camera - although sold mine as I never use it either.

keep an eye out for the pentax k1000/kx/km or the pentax mx. both go for significantly less that the nikon or olympus equivalent, and lens are good and cheap also. pentax made pro gear in the 70s/early 80s, so the stuff is as good as the equiavlent. also pentax never changed their lens mount(unlike canon and nikon), so you can use any pentax lens from 1975 on any camera produced subsequently.

I actually have a Pentax k1000 right now! Its not in great working order, so instead of reapairing I was figuring on getting something else - you reckon its worth restoring so?

I actually have a Pentax k1000 right now! Its not in great working order, so instead of reapairing I was figuring on getting something else - you reckon its worth restoring so?

id say pick up another k1000(would be less than the cost of repairing the old one) - unless you need something with more features then you could consider the KX or (smaller) MX

I like those Canon AE1s if that 50mm still works right I'd be on it.

Sure you can't lose so. I think it was one of those I used to have. Defo had an Olympus OM10 at one point too and then on to a Canon EOS100. Now all I have is the camera on my phone.

Thanks guys, bought the AE-1 and the Nikon FE, because why not.

Also, was reading about destroying film by soaking it in bleach or urine, drying it out then shooting - anyone ever tried anything like this?

pee has this kind of effect

a367cbd99a4c9d3de01e13330dacc1f5287c74.jpg

31d30f3956b4619d4fd3d01612b040cd6a73e8.jpg

i suspect the other 34 negs from the roll didn't fare so well. you're obviously seeing the examples which fared best from that experiment.

Yeah I think so too, I'm also worried about knowing when its actually dry and not makng my camera all sticky. But I do have tens of rolls of expired film that I've not dedicated to anything else, the curiosity alone.

Yeah I think so too, I'm also worried about knowing when its actually dry and not makng my camera all sticky. But I do have tens of rolls of expired film that I've not dedicated to anything else, the curiosity alone.
Hold up they peed on the film then shot with it ?

That sounds like a very bad idea to me, I'd be worried about rust rather than stickiness. Because film is rolled up chances are water of pee wont really dry it'll just form droplets between the rolls of film and last a long long time. they can also cause the film to stick together and jam inside the camera meaning you have to open the camera to retrieve the film.

You could pee on it after you've used it (in complete darkness of course) it should have a similar effect. Personally I wouldn't be running anything with even a slight chance of being wet through my camera.

But hey I wouldn't be ruining good film with piss in the first place so what do I know.

There are a few photographers that thrash their negs, one in particular is great, Japanese guy, I think. He used to rub sand into his negs and score them with broken glass or burn them. Cannot remember his name though. Anyway point is he did it after he'd exposed the film but before he processed it (I think)

Hold up they peed on the film then shot with it ?

That sounds like a very bad idea to me, I'd be worried about rust rather than stickiness. Because film is rolled up chances are water of pee wont really dry it'll just form droplets between the rolls of film and last a long long time. they can also cause the film to stick together and jam inside the camera meaning you have to open the camera to retrieve the film.

You could pee on it after you've used it (in complete darkness of course) it should have a similar effect. Personally I wouldn't be running anything with even a slight chance of being wet through my camera.

But hey I wouldn't be ruining good film with piss in the first place so what do I know.

There are a few photographers that thrash their negs, one in particular is great, Japanese guy, I think. He used to rub sand into his negs and score them with broken glass or burn them. Cannot remember his name though. Anyway point is he did it after he'd exposed the film but before he processed it (I think)

From What I could gather, it seemed that she soaked the unused film in pee for about two hours, then left it to air dry for about 6 weeks. You have to then advance the film on a little bit to see that its fully dry, or if you're confident enough I guess, unroll it entirely in the dark and dry it that way. I'm not overly sure how you could guarantee its actually properly dry by just advancing a bit though...

Its more interesting than anything else, I'm not sure I'd chance it unless I was using an older camera that's already got a bit of wear and tear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back