Buying an instrument in the US, and bringing it home (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter egg_
  • Start date
  • Replies 23
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 4
I did it a good while ago, it was straightforward at that time assuming you were prepared to pay duty on it at the airport and had receipts and stuff. I had none of these, lied about it and it was seized. Had to pay duty and a fine.

I did it a good while ago, it was straightforward at that time assuming you were prepared to pay duty on it at the airport and had receipts and stuff. I had none of these, lied about it and it was seized. Had to pay duty and a fine.
Whoa! Couldn't you have said you'd brought it over with you? ... I mean brought it to the US and you were just bringing it back

Whoa! Couldn't you have said you'd brought it over with you? ... I mean brought it to the US and you were just bringing it back
Maybe, I wasn't prepared for customs, I just started lying and went from there. The guy was knob though, I think he'd have said it's up to me to prove I brought it with me and then called Walton's.

I cant believe he called Waltons..that sounds very odd .

Its almost unbelievable..but I believe ya!

Total sickner

I got away with it in 2001 but have heard of loads of people being caught since, they're gonna be very savvy to people bringing instruments from the states. Is the saving worth the hassle these days? There's nice second P basses around Dublin all the time.

On a related note, anyone hear stories about people trying to get into the U.S. on an ESTA waiver (ie a non-work visa), carrying musical instruments with them?

I know of this one feller who went up to the Customs guy with his guitar on his back. The Customs cop asks him whether he was gigging. He says yes, but unpaid. The guy asks for his phone, and goes through all his emails, texts and his social media stuff looking for indications that he was doing paid gigs over there. He wasn't getting paid, but it didn't matter, he had been posting about these gigs. He gets turned back. So he goes home, takes all his anger out on Twitter, giving out shit about this Customs cop, and the system, and bla bla. Anyway, time passes and he attempts to go again, same thing happens, and they find all this shit. This time he spends a couple of hours in a tiny office getting shouted at before they turn him back.

(The story comes from a friend who lives in NY and was waiting at the other end for this guy on both occasions)

could you -

bring empty (old) hard case over with you
bring hardcase and bass back with you

to confuse em.
I’ve heard of people doing that but bringing a shitty guitar in the case and leaving it in the states. Seems a bit wasteful to me but it seems a bit more likely to succeed than an empty case.

a related note, anyone hear stories about people trying to get into the U.S. on an ESTA waiver (ie a non-work visa), carrying musical instruments with them

I read last year about acts playing sxsw being refused entry
SXSW acts turned away at the border, with some suggesting racial profiling

Although I once stopped for a few minutes to listen to a busker on Grafton street and she was saying she was deported from Australia for busking in breach of her visa

On a related note, anyone hear stories about people trying to get into the U.S. on an ESTA waiver (ie a non-work visa), carrying musical instruments with them?

I know of this one feller who went up to the Customs guy with his guitar on his back. The Customs cop asks him whether he was gigging. He says yes, but unpaid. The guy asks for his phone, and goes through all his emails, texts and his social media stuff looking for indications that he was doing paid gigs over there. He wasn't getting paid, but it didn't matter, he had been posting about these gigs. He gets turned back. So he goes home, takes all his anger out on Twitter, giving out shit about this Customs cop, and the system, and bla bla. Anyway, time passes and he attempts to go again, same thing happens, and they find all this shit. This time he spends a couple of hours in a tiny office getting shouted at before they turn him back.

(The story comes from a friend who lives in NY and was waiting at the other end for this guy on both occasions)
Happened to the Riptide Movement one time I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back