Buying a camera with some half-assed notion of making a documentary (1 Viewer)

Don't know anything about camera's but pretty sure you'd want to spend decent money on sound recording gear too.

audio-post-production-2.jpg

Don't know anything about camera's but pretty sure you'd want to spend decent money on sound recording gear too.

audio-post-production-2.jpg

Yeah, people have been telling me that. Someone also told me I'd have to invest in lenses. I figured that'd be about 50 quid. I was very wrong. Very, very wrong.

Video sound:

Directional boom mic with windshield. (looks like a cat on a stick)

About 20ft of xlr cable* to connect it to the camera.

*or xlr to 3.5mm jack. there are HD cameras that have mic inputs in 3.5mm format that will support one, phantom power and all.

Video sound:

Directional boom mic with windshield. (looks like a cat on a stick)

About 20ft of xlr cable* to connect it to the camera.

*or xlr to 3.5mm jack. there are HD cameras that have mic inputs in 3.5mm format that will support one, phantom power and all.

How much €€ will it cost me?

How much €€ will it cost me?

thomann version about 100eu. Otherwise you are into 100's, unless you get lucky on ebay. i hadn't thought hard about money when i posted the advice, i've only used the stuff that costs 1000's. i suppose it depends.

are you going to be close to all your subjects and indoors?? then something smaller will suffice. once you hit about 1ft and crosswind outdoor sound is muck with non shotgun (directional) mics.

I use a Canon 550D DSLR camera. ( it's been updated since I bought mine a few years ago but is grand .)

You can spend the world on lenses but if you are willing to be creative in using it and plan carefully ( as careful as you can plan for a documentary ) you only need one lense and that would be the Canon 1.8 50mm " plastic fantastic " . Less the $200 Nz dollars , not sure what that is in old money.

On camera sound is not great but could be usable with a on board Rode Video mic.
Can also recommend the Zoom H4N audio recorder but you will need to sync the audio and video in editing.

But also, bear in mind. The subject matter is more important than the fancy gear.
Check out "Fake It So Real" doco, shot on a cheap dv video camera - the content is captivating and any lack of quality in the image is rendered unimportant.

If you have a good story to document, there is no reason why you can't do it with cheap second hand equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back