Bulmers (1 Viewer)

they are, young lady.
there is already a cider in the UK called Bulmers so they couldnt name it that there due to copywrong reasons. hence, in the uK its called Magners.

i think.

they are, young lady.
there is already a cider in the UK called Bulmers so they couldnt name it that there due to copywrong reasons. hence, in the uK its called Magners.

i think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulmers_%28Republic_of_Ireland%29

Bulmers Original Vintage Cider is a brand of cider produced in Ireland. To prevent confusion with the English cider of the same name, it is sold outside of the Republic of Ireland as Magners Original Irish Cider.
Commercial cider production was started in Clonmel, County Tipperary in Ireland in 1935, by local man William Magner. Magner quickly established a successful business, and in 1937 he joined forces with the famous English cider-makers H. P. Bulmer and Company. Dowds Lane in Clonmel was the location of this burgeoning enterprise. In 1949 Magner withdrew from the business and the Bulmers name came to the fore. However H.P. Bulmer maintained international rights to the Bulmers trade mark, which prevented the Irish company exporting the brand from Ireland.

The article doesn't answer weeyins' question. Actually, it trails off into some greenhouse gas jibber jabber, almost as if the author was locked on cider when he wrote it.

tesco had imported Magners pint bottles earlier this week.

Anyway maybe it's cheaper to import Bulmers from the free state directly than it is to buy from the local Magners suppliers? like the way loads of shops here have those shitty 500ml bottles of johnny foreigner Coke?

Anyway maybe it's cheaper to import Bulmers from the free state directly than it is to buy from the local Magners suppliers? like the way loads of shops here have those shitty 500ml bottles of johnny foreigner Coke?

are you back on the coke?

(that was you wasnt it, drinking frightening amounts of it...)

Wha'ts happening is the people in England who own the Bulmers name there are doing a bit of passing off. They make a nice bit from Irish people who ask for Bulmers in pubs forgetting that it should be Magners they ask for.

are you back on the coke?

(that was you wasnt it, drinking frightening amounts of it...)
yeah, i'm back swilling it in work again, but not as much as I used to... I'm not drinking 4 -6 litres a week at home now either, so I suppose that's something.

Wha'ts happening is the people in England who own the Bulmers name there are doing a bit of passing off. They make a nice bit from Irish people who ask for Bulmers in pubs forgetting that it should be Magners they ask for.

They've been selling Bulmers in the uk for years but they're now pushing it as Magners has become so popular. They also sell Bulmers in the US.

Dunno about passing it off, I've certainly never come across anyone ordering the wrong one when I lived over there. The uk Bulmers ain't as nice as magners/irish Bulmers either but it's usually a bit cheaper.

The uk Bulmers ain't as nice as magners/irish Bulmers either but it's usually a bit cheaper.
I haven't had the UK Bulmers but I had a pint bottle of Magners over there, which was roughly half the price that I pay over here, despite it being exported. The UK tax on booze is roughly the same as it is here isn't it?

Yeah I bought a case 2 weeks ago, 2 for a fiver :cool:
Bought them for the Leechrum festival and then found out glass bottles are not permitted :eek:
Have 4 left as I am not a house drinker.

Good thread btw cos I have being wondering the same thing myself......a friend in the UK swore that they were diff as his local pub sells both and I swore that they were one and the same from my experience of drinking Magners up north and Bulmers down here.........
Maybe in mainland England the 2 are diff.

I drank Strongbow as aprotest when i lived in Wales.​

Which is brewed by Bulmers (UK)

As far as I know, way back there was Bulmers. The company, based in Ireland, also had UK operations. Somewhere along the way, the UK arm was made into a seperate company/sold off. They retained the right to use the Bulmers name in the UK (possibly worldwide?), but were a completely seperate company than Bulmers in Ireland. Which is why Bulmers as we know it here cannot be sold in the UK as Bulmers. Hence Magners.

But yes, it does seem that the UK Bulmers cider is being pushed as Magners has proved so popular (I don't think there has always been a Bulmers brand cider in the UK, but they did produce other ciders, such as Strongbow)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back