Building a music shed (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 106
  • Views 9K
  • Watchers 6
There is an existing shed in the garden already thats fully wired on its own breaker so I'm just gonna be taking my juice/extending from that. Proper trunking and all that jazz. Thats the least of my worries tbh. I won't be drawing very many amps with led lights and a pc and two class D amps.

And the occasional guitar amp.

Sounds like a nice easy set up 👍🏼

Great to see all the interest! I had a feeling it would be a topic close to our hearts.
First of all retrofitting rockwool to a crappy prepack garden shed would be garbage.
I'm basically gonna be building a 12 by 8 American house,right down to the shingled roof. Budget 3 grand. The walls be 100 mm studs full of rockwool match. Cladded outside with shiplap and inside plasterboard and more shiplap. Gonna have a upcycled pvc front door and the whole thing will be perched on yank style cylindrical deck footings.
The shed will more or less be hermiticlly sealed when the door is closed sort of,apart from a solar powered active ventilation system which will run constantly obviously, keeping everything dry and lovely.
I'm not hoping to be attenuating Berghain sound levels but I think 100 mll boards of dense wool will do a fair amount of heavy lifting in this densely populated neighborhood.

Might put a window in too for the summer breeze.
Was gonna start building it tomorrow but got yoinked back in to work today.

So it's a weekend and evening project

Whilst this sounds like a pretty great project- it won't provide any significant soundproofing. If the goal is to be able to crank it up, but you have neighbours living close by- it will still be pretty audible. If the goal is to make a shed where you can jam and you're not that worried about the noise, then it sounds perfect.
(For reference- I just helped out on a DIY soundproofing job to upgrade and existing room (about 3m x 4m) and materials cost easily 5k (before any electrics or labour)).

Anything with gaps will provide very little soundproofing- so the shiplap on the outsde should really have some kind of continuous lining undereath (sheets of marine ply maybe?) which is sealed. Maybe ditch the shiplap on the inside to save some cash instead? Two layers of plasterboard on inside is even better- or using Soundbloc (high density boards). Make sure all the joints have a proper seal on inside and out. Using isolating bars and strips to hang the plasterboard also helps (eg Resiliant Bar 50mm x 3.0m). The walls and roof are the easy part tbh. If acoustics are important don't bother with a window. Unless you pay 4 figures, it will just be a hole in the wall when it comes to acoustic performance. For the doors, PVC is also a pretty poor performer. Your best bet is to get a solid fire door on Donedeal or from a salvage warehouse (eg Fire doors Fd30 and FD60 for sale in Longford for €29 on DoneDeal) and work with this. The doors will need to close tightly and be sealed with something like this Acoustic Door Seal - Shush Soundproofing
These guys in general have some good (but expensive) gear for the job: Acoustic Door Seal - Shush Soundproofing

Anyways, it's a minefield but I guess you just gotta mix and match according to your budget. Hopefully some of these ideas are helpful...

On the other hand, if you're just looking for a roof over your head- ignore all this and go for it!

Whilst this sounds like a pretty great project- it won't provide any significant soundproofing. If the goal is to be able to crank it up, but you have neighbours living close by- it will still be pretty audible. If the goal is to make a shed where you can jam and you're not that worried about the noise, then it sounds perfect.
(For reference- I just helped out on a DIY soundproofing job to upgrade and existing room (about 3m x 4m) and materials cost easily 5k (before any electrics or labour)).

Anything with gaps will provide very little soundproofing- so the shiplap on the outsde should really have some kind of continuous lining undereath (sheets of marine ply maybe?) which is sealed. Maybe ditch the shiplap on the inside to save some cash instead? Two layers of plasterboard on inside is even better- or using Soundbloc (high density boards). Make sure all the joints have a proper seal on inside and out. Using isolating bars and strips to hang the plasterboard also helps (eg Resiliant Bar 50mm x 3.0m). The walls and roof are the easy part tbh. If acoustics are important don't bother with a window. Unless you pay 4 figures, it will just be a hole in the wall when it comes to acoustic performance. For the doors, PVC is also a pretty poor performer. Your best bet is to get a solid fire door on Donedeal or from a salvage warehouse (eg Fire doors Fd30 and FD60 for sale in Longford for €29 on DoneDeal) and work with this. The doors will need to close tightly and be sealed with something like this Acoustic Door Seal - Shush Soundproofing
These guys in general have some good (but expensive) gear for the job: Acoustic Door Seal - Shush Soundproofing

Anyways, it's a minefield but I guess you just gotta mix and match according to your budget. Hopefully some of these ideas are helpful...

On the other hand, if you're just looking for a roof over your head- ignore all this and go for it!
Great post! Very informative!

I have pretty much taken all these points into account already actually. The purpose of this shed isnt for jamming in or anything like it. It'll just be me and headphones and a pair of 5" monitors and a very small practice amp. Theres not gonna be any major spls..except for maybe on a Saturday afternoon for checking mixes. As long as the neighbours arent disturbed by my singing the same line 40 times in a row I'm happy. Most of my writing is done on headphones these days..or speakers at conversation volume

The walls will be constructed thusly ... fully sealed 3/4" plasterboard- 100mm 60kg Rockwool - 18mm ply --- tyvek house membrane---battens--shiplap. The shiplap is really for cosmetic purposes as much as anything else. My woman would not be impressed with looking out at any kind of a monstrosity.

The roof will be the same bar the shiplap.

So yeah I am under absolutely no illusions that this thing will be in any way shape or form soundproof.

I do like the idea of the firedoor..but I need some natural light in the summer , there'd be no songwriting done in a black void. And also theres gonna need to be ventilation so the thing will never be airtight

But I appreciate all the input from everybody greatly

Great post! Very informative!

I have pretty much taken all these points into account already actually. The purpose of this shed isnt for jamming in or anything like it. It'll just be me and headphones and a pair of 5" monitors and a very small practice amp. Theres not gonna be any major spls..except for maybe on a Saturday afternoon for checking mixes. As long as the neighbours arent disturbed by my singing the same line 40 times in a row I'm happy. Most of my writing is done on headphones these days..or speakers at conversation volume

The walls will be constructed thusly ... fully sealed 3/4" plasterboard- 100mm 60kg Rockwool - 18mm ply --- tyvek house membrane---battens--shiplap. The shiplap is really for cosmetic purposes as much as anything else. My woman would not be impressed with looking out at any kind of a monstrosity.

The roof will be the same bar the shiplap.

So yeah I am under absolutely no illusions that this thing will be in any way shape or form soundproof.

I do like the idea of the firedoor..but I need some natural light in the summer , there'd be no songwriting done in a black void. And also theres gonna need to be ventilation so the thing will never be airtight

Gotcha. Sounds great- share some pics when it's done!

I'm living in a small very poorly built house with 3 others..and none of them are into listening to me improvising guitar solos no matter how low I keep the volume. In fact I can hear my lady on the phone working from home in the next room like shes in here with me. I can't believe she was able to cope with me multitracking powerpop vocal harmonies in here 14 hours a day during the lockdown. Fair play to her.

But I have got to find somewhere I can continue at it..and I want to be prepared if I get laid off cos of the forthcoming recession..I wont give a monkeys if I've got a little production room in the back garden ..in fact some might say I'd be quite enthusiastic at the prospect of such a scenario

The more details you give the more interesting it gets.
If you can track down a firedoor, get it.

But hell, Ply, Tyvek....TO THE HORN THREAD WITH YOU!

internal dimensions will be 2.2 x 3.4 ...with an apex roof going from 2.2m at the walls to about 2.8
It sounds like you'll have too much of a fall to green your roof, but just in case ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: how-to-plant-a-green-roof-on-your-shed. It can slow the ageing and breakdown of the roof materials, insulate against too much heat as well as cold and give you back some of the garden you're losing to the footprint of the shed.

It sounds like you'll have too much of a fall to green your roof, but just in case ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: how-to-plant-a-green-roof-on-your-shed. It can slow the ageing and breakdown of the roof materials, insulate against too much heat as well as cold and give you back some of the garden you're losing to the footprint of the shed.
This is an excellent idea,I'm gonna weigh it up

It might be worth reaching out to anyone you know in a window company - the likes of Artane Windows or someone like Solaglass and ask if they have any spare double glazed units made to the wrong size - they would probably let you have for next to nothing
You could form your opening to that size,

Unless someone is giving you a window for nothing already

I could put out some feelers if and when you're interested

I looked into the green roof..its an excellent idea and I dare say i could manage it but really its outside my limited area of expertise..things could go wrong that I couldnt easily afford to remedy. Whereas I've worked on plenty of normal roofs

I'm just gonna get a second hand window and door..I am actually thinking of getting a wooden door now.Plastic is a bit manky. If I can find a reclaimed hardwood window as well would be great but probably less likely

How are you gonna roof it @GO ? The shed I've been thinking of building has one of those EPDM rubber sheets EPDM Rubber Roofing Twistfix Flat Roofs ... pricey, but supposed to last v well
You might look at pricing those components separately at Kellys or some other Builder providers
Anything that's a kit, is usually more expensive

How are you gonna roof it @GO ? The shed I've been thinking of building has one of those EPDM rubber sheets EPDM Rubber Roofing Twistfix Flat Roofs ... pricey, but supposed to last v well
I'm gonna use asphalt shingles if I do an apex roof..which I probably will.
I do like the look of a flat roof though, but that would probably limit me to felt which I'm not keen on having to replace frequently. A flat roof is also the cheapest and easiest option. I'm still thinking about it

Well here we go ...

Site cleared..only almost in this pic cos I need to up my photography game and take pictures more regularaly ..was a couple of crappy bushes and a small tree in the way

site.jpg

And today..materials delivered!

materials.jpg

Now I just have to hump it all out the back. Its a lot of gear for a 10 by 8 shed..this is not gonna be your normal shed though

Havent even picked up a hammer yet and I see a problem needing a solution..floor insulation is 5mm thicker than the 4x2s in the sub floor. thats a couple of hours down the tubes anyway. I dare say it won't be the last pickle I find myself in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back