Building a music shed (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 106
  • Views 9K
  • Watchers 6
I have had success with this stuff- not sure if you can get it in Ireland or what it's even called there - but the 1/4" stuff is small enough that even mice can't get through it
You can staple it on to plywood or a fence - presto, critter-proof

Rats can chew through anything pretty much, but they'd rather not chew through metal

And so we begin slowly turnign a wood shed into a metal shed to mitigate its woodeness :p

My method is largely to tolerate the little beggards in some regions and reign hell on them in others.

And so we begin slowly turnign a wood shed into a metal shed to mitigate its woodeness :p

My method is largely to tolerate the little beggards in some regions and reign hell on them in others.
Yeah, you have to pick your battles with them at times

Last edited:
Great to see all the interest! I had a feeling it would be a topic close to our hearts.
First of all retrofitting rockwool to a crappy prepack garden shed would be garbage.
I'm basically gonna be building a 12 by 8 American house,right down to the shingled roof. Budget 3 grand. The walls be 100 mm studs full of rockwool match. Cladded outside with shiplap and inside plasterboard and more shiplap. Gonna have a upcycled pvc front door and the whole thing will be perched on yank style cylindrical deck footings.
The shed will more or less be hermiticlly sealed when the door is closed sort of,apart from a solar powered active ventilation system which will run constantly obviously, keeping everything dry and lovely.
I'm not hoping to be attenuating Berghain sound levels but I think 100 mll boards of dense wool will do a fair amount of heavy lifting in this densely populated neighborhood.

Might put a window in too for the summer breeze.
Was gonna start building it tomorrow but got yoinked back in to work today.

So it's a weekend and evening project

Great to see all the interest! I had a feeling it would be a topic close to our hearts.
First of all retrofitting rockwool to a crappy prepack garden shed would be garbage.
I'm basically gonna be building a 12 by 8 American house,right down to the shingled roof. Budget 3 grand. The walls be 100 mm studs full of rockwool match. Cladded outside with shiplap and inside plasterboard and more shiplap. Gonna have a upcycled pvc front door and the whole thing will be perched on yank style cylindrical deck footings.
The shed will more or less be hermiticlly sealed when the door is closed sort of,apart from a solar powered active ventilation system which will run constantly obviously, keeping everything dry and lovely.
I'm not hoping to be attenuating Berghain sound levels but I think 100 mll boards of dense wool will do a fair amount of heavy lifting in this densely populated neighborhood.

Might put a window in too for the summer breeze.
Was gonna start building it tomorrow but got yoinked back in to work today.

So it's a weekend and evening project

Excellent. I'd like to see how this turns out.

I still think buying a good quality shed/chalet/summer house, or even a shipping container would be cheaper and better in the long run. There's enough to do with the stud walls etc. But hey, you don't seem phased. If you think you can do it, go for it. I'm just some guy on teh internetz.

Also, I do have a horrible aversion to plasterboard.

Excellent. I'd like to see how this turns out.

I still think buying a good quality shed/chalet/summer house, or even a shipping container would be cheaper and better in the long run. There's enough to do with the stud walls etc. But hey, you don't seem phased. If you think you can do it, go for it. I'm just some guy on teh internetz.

Also, I do have a horrible aversion to plasterboard.
I'll post a few progress snaps.
You couldn't in possibly get a comparable quality for this kinda money prefabbed.
I looked at a lot of them online. Like,I'm gonna have a sub floor made out of 9by 2s ..no commercial product would be anywhere near as robust...and the same goes for all my materials.
I have no aversion to plasterboard,it's every building for a reason..and I have plenty big experience with it. Itll be taped and painted..look brand new.Sure I've been working on sites on off all my life.
I'm using it just to add a bit of density to the walls..using layers if materials of varying density is the most effective sound barrier.

There's gonna be led lighting and laminate flooring in this bad boy...maybe I should be calling it something other than a shed cos it's gonna be legit cozy! Maybe a bit too cozy but it's a small area I have to work with.

It's "How to build a shed" - very detailed instructions for building a 2.4x3.6m wooden shed with a sloping roof. I've been planning to price the materials and see how much it'd cost, and I've loads of annual leave built up so maybe actually build it meself during the summer. Haven't done anything about it yet though - we did up 2 rooms in the house at the end of 2019 so unlikely we'd have the money no matter how cheap it works out

You couldn't in possibly get a comparable quality for this kinda money prefabbed.
I looked at a lot of them online. Like,I'm gonna have a sub floor made out of 9by 2s ..no commercial product would be anywhere near as robust...and the same goes for all my materials.
I have no aversion to plasterboard,it's every building for a reason..and I have plenty big experience with it. Itll be taped and painted..look brand new.Sure I've been working on sites on off all my life.
I'm using it just to add a bit of density to the walls..using layers if materials of varying density is the most effective sound barrier.

There's gonna be led lighting and laminate flooring in this bad boy...maybe I should be calling it something other than a shed cos it's gonna be legit cozy! Maybe a bit too cozy but it's a small area I have to work with.

Are you gonna run power out there? For lighting, equipment and such.
You could potentially do most of the work yourself and leave final connection to a proper sparks.

YOUTUBE

You could potentially do most of the work yourself and leave final connection to a proper sparks.

please dont do electrical work yourself.
If you’re just running cable for him to terminate. You’re going to need SWA cable / armoured great or ina pipe or containment for running out from gaff. Also all depends on distance, and what you’re powering. As I said, have a pro look at the elec end. Might need a separate circuit breaker board out there

please dont do electrical work yourself.
If you’re just running cable for him to terminate. You’re going to need SWA cable / armoured great or ina pipe or containment for running out from gaff. Also all depends on distance, and what you’re powering. As I said, have a pro look at the elec end. Might need a separate circuit breaker board out there
Dude, I got this

1590589419975.png

There is an existing shed in the garden already thats fully wired on its own breaker so I'm just gonna be taking my juice/extending from that. Proper trunking and all that jazz. Thats the least of my worries tbh. I won't be drawing very many amps with led lights and a pc and two class D amps.

And the occasional guitar amp.

In other news I had a brainwave concerning the pc this morning. I'm gonna build a little add on utility closet to house that in so thats its not in the shed with me whirring away. Perfect silence for tracking vocals and mixing.Nice

It's "How to build a shed" - very detailed instructions for building a 2.4x3.6m wooden shed with a sloping roof. I've been planning to price the materials and see how much it'd cost, and I've loads of annual leave built up so maybe actually build it meself during the summer. Haven't done anything about it yet though - we did up 2 rooms in the house at the end of 2019 so unlikely we'd have the money no matter how cheap it works out

Yeah thats the size I'm going for. Its the most economical..3 sheets of plywood big . So my internal dimensions will be 2.2 x 3.4 ...with an apex roof going from 2.2m at the walls to about 2.8.
Would like bigger but the garden is small

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back