• Start date
  • Replies 106
  • Views 9K
  • Watchers 6

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
Solutions
I'm building a music shed..not for band practice..just recording vocals and producing..playing a bit of electric guitar natch. Not gonna do it out of concrete ,can't afford it. Gonna do it out of timber...and rockwool.

Has anyone here done something like this?

I'm building a music shed..not for band practice..just recording vocals and producing..playing a bit of electric guitar natch. Not gonna do it out of concrete ,can't afford it. Gonna do it out of timber...and rockwool.

Has anyone here done something like this?

Mr. Spook of 13th Lock Allen is currently in the completion phase of a similar project

It's the doors and window's I'd be worried about. What kind of shed do you have now? Or are you actually planning on building a shed from scratch?

I'd have to agree with this.
Building one from scratch, apart from the massive time suck, headaches and tools you'd need, wouldn't be one as good as one done in a factory by lads doing it every day.

There's a lad here giving one away
If you knew someone with a Sawzall that could cut the four walls and roof neatly off this, reassembly wouldn't be too massive a job with a load of metal angles.
Rent a high roof van obv too

Sheds Direct sell for 400 euro also

Last edited:
I've looked into a it lot tbh. I ended up with a usable space through exterior forces in the end HOWEVER previous to that I had come to the conclusion that a small shipping container was the way to go. You move house, you throw it on a truck, its already robust. You'll spend a bomb on primer and insulation but it'll be a twice in a lifetime job really.

I've looked into a it lot tbh. I ended up with a usable space through exterior forces in the end HOWEVER previous to that I had come to the conclusion that a small shipping container was the way to go. You move house, you throw it on a truck, its already robust. You'll spend a bomb on primer and insulation but it'll be a twice in a lifetime job really.
Yup.
And there are a million Youtube and How-to's online for converting shipping containers.

There was even one on Grand Designs. Some Nordie lad did a fancy one.

But shipping containers are mad noisy. The floor is ideal, and you could put in stud walls full of rock wool, but that would make it a lot smaller internally. Also, it'll be a fecking oven.

Also, I wouldn't recommend stuffing a standard garden shed with rock wool. That'll STINK.

‘Throw it on a truck’

You need to lift it on with a crane.
Have it driven on a big trailer.
Then it has to be lifted off with a crane.

Crane hire is big money.

It’d have to be something worth it, like if it was your studio and possibly your home?
Doubtful just as a shed.
Regardless, Still cost a fortune to move

But shipping containers are mad noisy. The floor is ideal, and you could put in stud walls full of rock wool, but that would make it a lot smaller internally. Also, it'll be a fecking oven.

Also, I wouldn't recommend stuffing a standard garden shed with rock wool. That'll STINK.

If it were Properly designed with environment and ventilation In mind it’d be nice and cool and breezy.

By the way I have watched a billion episodes of Tiny House Nation, grand designs and a billion YouTube videos on shipping containers.
We were considering one or a few recently.

Edit,

Also you need a building permit for anything over 10sq meters which includes shipping containers

If it were Properly designed with environment and ventilation In mind it’d be nice and cool and breezy.

True, but it'll need to be sound-insulated. Ventilation vs Insulation, there's the rub.

GO didn't mention needing a shed that can move around. So that's moot.

I seen that lad when we played Stendhall fest and nearly went up to say hi thinking I knew him. He does look very like a mutual friend of myself and @ann post's and all.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Man, where is he living that you can go down that deep and not hit any water?
A basement with no waterproofing
Looks great though

ETA

In fairness, he has a pretty good video on just building the upper shed part

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've looked into a it lot tbh.

I probably should have put this bit in block caps.

Ok lets look at the options:

A small possibly free wooden shed. Wood hates water, we live in ireland and mice and rats chew into these for winter. so you waterproof it for a few hundred euro and then you can start considering vocals. All vocal/recording booths amount to being a room within a room, so you build a smaller shed within the shed, ventillate it and build a foundation because the shed will change shape all year every year because it is made of wood. The foundation will mitigate this to a point but the mice will find a way. You miss one spot in the waterproofing at its a fail.

So get free shed, maybe around 800eu in work to get it up to the job (at which point it is tiny due to the insulation wall - sound travels in and out - and it needs to be revarnished every year after the sun cooks the finish out of it. All money and effort more or less dissapted in 3 years.
There is a reason mostly shovels live in these things.

A small shipping container. It is designed to resist the sea. The sea is more intense than the suburbs. A 10ft shipping container is not more than 10sq metres, a 20ft might be. It is structurally complete from day one. Line it with a layer of insulation or build a plywood room within. Humidity is still an issue, but the actual thing actually changing shape and becoming a mouse circus is much less of a likelyhood. Will it cost more? yes. But also after 3 years it still exists. When i priced these (delivered) they ran close to a grand. It will cost 500eu to get the inside up to speed. Short term more expensive, long term less expensive.

Wood hates water, we live in ireland and mice and rats chew into these for winter.
I have had success with this stuff- not sure if you can get it in Ireland or what it's even called there - but the 1/4" stuff is small enough that even mice can't get through it
You can staple it on to plywood or a fence - presto, critter-proof

Rats can chew through anything pretty much, but they'd rather not chew through metal

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back