DIY Guitar Messing About (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 48K
  • Watchers 4
Ongoing cleaning and prepping - I’ve jointed 2 pieces of the pitch pine together, and it will have a mahogany top, and use a neck I had originally made for a hollow body (I’ll have to remake the tenon on this). Will be thinline style also (will have to be- the pine weighs a ton)
Really interesting (I.e difficult) timber to work with. It’s so full of sap (after 100+ years, about 15 of which were outdoors) that it practically seals itself after ever cut/stroke with plane. Also doesn’t seem to mind being planed in either direction.

IMG_6960.jpeg

oh - i was talking to someone who had a bandsaw that can take wood to about 12 or 14 inches thick but he warned that resawing wood cleanly can take a lot of fettling. he does have access to a drum sander too, but that's going to turn most of the wood into dust, it's not a very efficient way of thinning it.

oh - i was talking to someone who had a bandsaw that can take wood to about 12 or 14 inches thick but he warned that resawing wood cleanly can take a lot of fettling. he does have access to a drum sander too, but that's going to turn most of the wood into dust, it's not a very efficient way of thinning it.

I've another piece held over - pending a potential custom build, and potentially access to some more!
I think a drum sander is probably the way to go from what I've researched... waste notwithstanding. might chat to you at some point about that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back