Bruce Springsteen appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

What do you do when you have more fans than capacity?

Just let the scalpers have their way?

Like I'm sorry that the thing you like is massively popular and therefore insanely oversubscribed
But the idea that any of these musicians are just regular folks and not guided by a massive hunger to be the best and make the most money, is kind of laughable.
There's not an altruist among them. Maybe Pearl Jam?

What do you do when you have more fans than capacity?

Just let the scalpers have their way?

Like I'm sorry that the thing you like is massively popular and therefore insanely oversubscribed
But the idea that any of these musicians are just regular folks and not guided by a massive hunger to be the best and make the most money, is kind of laughable.
There's not an altruist among them. Maybe Pearl Jam?

A bit of management accountancy here:

It costs X amount to do a gig. X=a lot for a Bruce gig.

Bruce Inc. needs to make a profit, fine.
So tickets will be priced at cost+profit. Yeah that's more than watching a band in my local, but ok, it's Bruce.

Anything else is gouging.

It's not really the artist though?

If one person, anywhere is willing to pay 5000 for a ticket, then thats what the tickets now cost, even if they were 8c initially.
If you got one or two for 8c, and you find out it'll sell for 5000, then the cost of tickets is now 5000.

What can an artist do?

is it not that he would have had to agree to allow ticketmaster run dynamic pricing? this is not touting, this is the price that the official ticket vendor is selling them at, as far as i understood?

I'm inclined to say let the scalpers do their thing. Have a fanclub presale maybe which which will allow the big fans to get tickets at a decent price, yes the scalpers will join the fanclub but so be it.

Otherwise you should consider developing a taste in cheaper music, you're not getting the Bruce of 1976 at the show anyway.

I reckon an artist of Springsteen's stature could absolutely stop this nonsense if he wanted to but why bother with such a thankless task when you have a podcast with Barack Obama to record? Kid Rock tried to take it on a decade ago, dunno how successful he was (click the link and you can read the story). Lotta work.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
It's an imaginary character so it can be whatever you want it to be.

It can certainly be, but it's not out of this world to find a running theme in bruce springsteen songs of escaping the hum drum and running off into the distance, and that is something he writes really well and people relate to. Like i'm not coming from outer space with that interpretation of his huge hits and loved classics. In that context he has been proud of having a hard working band, playing longer sets than are expected and building a reputation for working hard in his own arena - I get being existential about it but i'm pretty sure we are talking in the context of springsteen here. And in that context, doing what he does, working hard at it and finally getting a payday fit reasonably well into the narrative he has built.

I reckon an artist of Springsteen's stature could absolutely stop this nonsense if he wanted to but why bother with such a thankless task when you have a podcast with Barack Obama to record? Kid Rock tried to take it on a decade ago, dunno how successful he was (click the link and you can read the story). Lotta work.

If he was gonna do something about, it dont think he'd be naive enough to have a year of bookings already strapped down and then spend that year talking in public about how he's gonna fuck the ticket company. They'll be sitting waiting for him. The smart thing to do would be resolve the contracts he's in and then next time round tell them whats going down with his gigs, especially now that he's mates with obama.

It can certainly be, but it's not out of this world to find a running theme in bruce springsteen songs of escaping the hum drum and running off into the distance, and that is something he writes really well and people relate to. Like i'm not coming from outer space with that interpretation of his huge hits and loved classics. In that context he has been proud of having a hard working band, playing longer sets than are expected and building a reputation for working hard in his own arena - I get being existential about it but i'm pretty sure we are talking in the context of springsteen here. And in that context, doing what he does, working hard at it and finally getting a payday fit reasonably well into the narrative he has built.

I preferred your first answer. He'll always be the man who sings "Born In the USA" at the top of his lungs. Reminds me of the refrain of Celtic Symphony. Big "Well actually if you listen it to all the lyrics" energy..

My dislike the song may not be logical but that's music for ya.

If he was gonna do something about, it dont think he'd be naive enough to have a year of bookings already strapped down and then spend that year talking in public about how he's gonna fuck the ticket company. They'll be sitting waiting for him. The smart thing to do would be resolve the contracts he's in and then next time round tell them whats going down with his gigs, especially now that he's mates with obama.
Yes if you read the Kid Rock piece you'll see that partnership with the ticketing company is/was his method also.

Kid Rock...now there's a true blue collar hero.
He's a true protestant American hero, nothing but hard work, a vision, and being the son of a millionaire. And they eat it up don't they?

Have you heard his early Southern Beastie Boys stuff?? It's worth a quick whirl.

Ah man....Not the Rock as well. I'm so disappointed.

I should have known he was a fraud. His surname is Richie.
He's a lot of things but he's no fraud. He never claimed to be poor, just American. I'm kinda fascinated by him

Secondary market tickets, he got paid already but the people who bought the to tout got burned.

Good.

I do wonder if the dynamic pricing thing soured people from even bothering.
Also the bargain tickets he’s talking about here all seem to be located behind the stage

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back