Bruce Springsteen appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

Darkness On The Edge Of Town and Tunnel of Love are all I need from Bruce.

There was a performance movie of Bruce and the E-Street band on Sky Arts the other night. No audience, all the hits, nothing fancy. A bit meh, good and all, but what was it all for? Couldn't tell when it was from, but Clarence was there.

Anyway it ended with Darkness on the Edge of Town, which did indeed have me air-guitaring around the kitchen.

for comparison...

It's only a tiny part of the argument, but rock shows used to be attended by teenagers and 20something lads, way back when
And they were priced so teenagers could afford them.
They were not targeted or priced at 40something middle class people. Those people were mostly off doing adult things. Now we do far fewer 'adult things', like I dunno dinner dances or whatever.
It's the same as the football has been for years.
The rich have got their channels in the bedrooms of the poor.

Because we've made money overall, we've taken something that was youth culture and made it middle class, and expensive.
If we hadn't decided to hang onto our teenage identities for the rest of our lives - and need Instagram validation from our 40something peers that we were still not old, we're still happening or whatever - there'd be a lot less demand for these things.

I understand the argument about Springsteen being a greedy fucker - and I won't argue against that

But there's a part of this that's like complaining about being in traffic.
Yeah, you're in traffic, but you also are traffic.

Last edited:
It's only a tiny part of the argument, but rock shows used to be attended by teenagers and 20something lads, way back when
And they were priced so teenagers could afford them.
They were not targeted or priced at 40something middle class people. Now they are.
It's the same as the football has been for years.

Because we've made money overall, we've taken something that was youth culture and made it middle class, and expensive.
If we hadn't decided to hang onto our teenage identities for the rest of our lives, there'd be a lot less demand for these things.

I understand the argument about Springsteen being a greedy fucker - and I won't argue against that

But there's a part of this that's like complaining about being in traffic.
Yeah, you're in traffic, but you also are traffic.

hmm - agree and disagree.

I would say both professional sport and the upper end of live music is now part of a fairly similar industry in terms of who they target as their customers

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back