Broadband - Please help (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter hugh
  • Start date
  • Replies 42
  • Views 6K
  • Watchers 2
Thinking of changing provider from UPC/Virgin to something better and cheaper.

I

Have any of you tried these guys?

Regional Broadband Residential - Regional Broadband

I was planning on ditching Virgin before Christmas, as the bill was going up to around €95 or so a month. They put me on a new package (had to sign up to a years contract) and reduced it to €43 for the first six months, I think I'll be paying around €65 after that for telly, phone and the broadband (240mb).

I've a couple of extra HD boxes that I probably don't need so I pay over €110 a month.
I think that's close to what we pay..one HD box, one regular old fashioned one. And all we ever seem to watch are Family Guy repeats.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the TV and getting a Saor View or Freesat box instead.

You could get bandwidth shock if you're going from Virgin/UPC down to some of those packages in that link you posted.

If your local telephone cabinet is fibre enabled, I'd recommend going with 100mb. Wholesale broadband access came into force last October which means the cheapest you'll get this is at €45. Vodafone (customer myself) offer it for this in their SABB package (Standalone BB). Be weary of cheaper prices as providers over the last few years have been going mad with their introductory offers (e.g Magnet are offering 100mb for €40 for the first 3 months, then it gets jacked up to €57.99!). When looking at plans, work out the full cost over the minimum contract stranglehold they put on you.

You could get bandwidth shock if you're going from Virgin/UPC down to some of those packages in that link you posted.

If your local telephone cabinet is fibre enabled, I'd recommend going with 100mb. Wholesale broadband access came into force last October which means the cheapest you'll get this is at €45. Vodafone (customer myself) offer it for this in their SABB package (Standalone BB). Be weary of cheaper prices as providers over the last few years have been going mad with their introductory offers (e.g Magnet are offering 100mb for €40 for the first 3 months, then it gets jacked up to €57.99!). When looking at plans, work out the full cost over the minimum contract stranglehold they put on you.
jaysis it's a minefield.

It's cheaper to get phone and broadband than just broadband

The boner these cunts have for a fucking landline never fails to fucking amaze me

And it's not even a proper landline. At least with a bog standard analogue phone the line powers the handset, so if the power goes out you're not completely cut off. But, they can provide an extra way to make money at a marginal cost of almost zero, so why not?

And it's not even a proper landline. At least with a bog standard analogue phone the line powers the handset, so if the power goes out you're not completely cut off. But, they can provide an extra way to make money at a marginal cost of almost zero, so why not?
Is that really all it is?

Had a landline for 2 years there and never actually had a phone plugged into it and had no idea what the number was.

Hi,
We're with Virgin Media for broadband and TV. The WiFi is totally shit and has been for months. Quite often I'm using the hot spot on my phone to work. The lads are boring through their data because the wife isn't reaching their rooms (it's a very modest house).
I'm looking to change providers, I see Virgin are pushing their new packages (that seemed to come out around the time our broadband became shit).
Vodafone broadband and tv is cheaper than what we have now and looks ok, 1GB etc.

Anyone on Vodafone? is it any use?

I am NOT using eir, or sky.

what virgin box do you have?
we were stuck with virgin (who refused to reduce their price too) because eir (and thus vodafone) would only guarantee 8MB to our house, despite us living on a main road in dublin, until about a year ago. so you may want to check with eir what they will guarantee, they've a doohickey on their site for that.

when they did fix the fibre issue, my wife was able to negotiate a year at half price, with virgin, plus a new 360 box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back