• Start date
  • Replies 42
  • Views 6K
  • Watchers 2

hugh

Contributor
Since 2000
Solutions
Can someone recommend a cheap, simple way of getting broadband?

This is the scenario - my Dad. He won't be doing much more than sending emails, surfing the web (if even that). He's got SKY+ TV and eircom for his phone (landline). I looked into various packages from eircom/upc/sky which would bundle in everything in one (I have the UPC one for example) but they all seem to need you to install some sort of extra hardware (GPS device or something?) in order to keep Eircom Phonewatch working. The problem is that he has an ancient alarm system which is not compatible with such modern wonders i.e. we have to keep the eircom landline or else upgrade the alarm.

So, now I am thinking of some sort of standalone broadband dongle type thing that you just plug into the laptop and just leave the phone, TV etc. as is. I know nothing of these. Are they good? Do they work? Are they cheap? He's hardly going to use this much at all so it's gotta be cheap. Also, don't really care about big download speeds. He's not going to be trying to stream Game Of Thrones in real time or play 3D shoot-em-ups with his mates.

Can someone recommend a cheap, simple way of getting broadband?

This is the scenario - my Dad. He won't be doing much more than sending emails, surfing the web (if even that). He's got SKY+ TV and eircom for his phone (landline). I looked into various packages from eircom/upc/sky which would bundle in everything in one (I have the UPC one for example) but they all seem to need you to install some sort of extra hardware (GPS device or something?) in order to keep Eircom Phonewatch working. The problem is that he has an ancient alarm system which is not compatible with such modern wonders i.e. we have to keep the eircom landline or else upgrade the alarm.

So, now I am thinking of some sort of standalone broadband dongle type thing that you just plug into the laptop and just leave the phone, TV etc. as is. I know nothing of these. Are they good? Do they work? Are they cheap? He's hardly going to use this much at all so it's gotta be cheap. Also, don't really care about big download speeds. He's not going to be trying to stream Game Of Thrones in real time or play 3D shoot-em-ups with his mates.

what about a 3G pay as you go yoke? if you want to keep it simple get a wifi hotspot one, so you configure it like any other wireless network & don't need to be farting about with client software for a 3g dongle to get connected.

I don't mind installing some client software. Seems easier to me than dicking about with wifi hotspots and stuff, especially as there is only one device (the laptop) that is ever going to be connected. This thing looks handy enough. There is a 7.99 a month deal for light use ...

Shop for stick modems, mobile Wifi, tablets, iPad SIMs

I don't mind installing some client software. Seems easier to me than dicking about with wifi hotspots and stuff, especially as there is only one device (the laptop) that is ever going to be connected. This thing looks handy enough. There is a 7.99 a month deal for light use ...

Remember having to fire up your internet connection every time you wanted to check your email? Now imagine the software you had to use to connect was some of the worst software ever written. That's a 3g dongle.

Conversely, you configure the wifi hotspot, you connect the laptop to the wlan, and that's it.

You think he might want to start watching Pathe newsreels or listening to radio stations in Australia?

Like he might really like the internet.

You think he might want to start watching Pathe newsreels or listening to radio stations in Australia?

Like he might really like the internet.

Possible, but unlikely I would think.To be honest, I'd much prefer if he just stuck to reading the newspaper. That won't require 24-hour technical support from me.

I have an o2 dongle thing, it's grand. I turn on the computer and it connects itself to the internet, none of whatever pete is talking about there. Works grand for streaming (music at least, I don't really watch stuff) and skype. Mine has a 15gb per month limit and was €20 p/m at the time I got it (although I get it for a tenner as I was student when I signed up)

My parents have the internet and my dad would love it if he didn't make such a point of not knowing how to use it. Instead he spends his days reading children's encyclopedias from decades ago

Way more useful way to spend your time probably.

Will check out O2 ... cheers

I have an o2 dongle thing, it's grand. I turn on the computer and it connects itself to the internet, none of whatever pete is talking about there. Works grand for streaming (music at least, I don't really watch stuff) and skype. Mine has a 15gb per month limit and was €20 p/m at the time I got it (although I get it for a tenner as I was student when I signed up)

i've only seen the vodafone end of things. unimpressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back