Britpop backlash (2 Viewers)

Oasis declaring themselves the best band in the word was just ridiculous. I'd like to think it was said tongue in cheek but it probably wasn't.

of course it wasn't tongue-in-cheek but if you cast (no pun intended) your mind back to that time, remember what the response from ordinary decent music fans was. The Spice Girls were huge then too and it was put to Oasis that, rather than them being the biggest band in the world, it was actually the Spice Girls. They had more hits, sold more records, and everyone could name every member of the band, unlike Oasis (who I still wouldn't know beyond the shitbag twins and bonehead)

You're not wrong but pop music has never really been anything except arrogant, usually ending either in the sublime or the hilariously misguided. The POP in Britpop was very British, for better and for worse.

I can't see shoegaze as being more than a minor indie college kid concern and grunge as, i dunno, underground music turned classic rock or something.

I guess for a large part, Britpop was hilariously misguided.

You're right about shoegaze. I'll be honest, I was never a huge fan of it. I just thought the bands came across less cunty in interviews than Britpop bands did.

I disagree. I don't think britpop even existed. It was something conconcted by music mags at the time. If you made music, no matter what kind of music, and the music mags called you britpop, then you were britpop.
Why did Britpop fade away? - Independent.ie

the independent agrees. The article is largely nonsense (a picture of blur from 1991 and jarvis cocker because britpop) but it does make the argument that the music hasn't lasted because as a genre it was made up by the music press.

I disagree. I don't think britpop even existed. It was something conconcted by music mags at the time. If you made music, no matter what kind of music, and the music mags called you britpop, then you were britpop.

I guess I kind of associate it with meat and 2 veg pub rock from the mid 90s. I remember they were calling the cranberries britpop at one point.

haven't seen any of these anniversary articles mention the football connection. Did I just dream that? To me football was a huge part of 'britpop'.

Is Britpop and football not part of the wider "Cool Britania" thing? That summer of 96, what might have been etc. I suppose it dovetailed with the post Taylor report ground redevelopments and the gentrification/rehabilitation of football. The Sky TV deal meant that for the first time genuine global stars were coming to play in England rather than Italy.

I can only remember Mani and the Gallaghers who had football fandom as a big part of their identity. Even Ian Broudie who wrote the tune was third banana in the Three Lions things.

Is Britpop and football not part of the wider "Cool Britania" thing? That summer of 96, what might have been etc. I suppose it dovetailed with the post Taylor report ground redevelopments and the gentrification/rehabilitation of football. The Sky TV deal meant that for the first time genuine global stars were coming to play in England rather than Italy.

I can only remember Mani and the Gallaghers who had football fandom as a big part of their identity. Even Ian Broudie who wrote the tune was third banana in the Three Lions things.
Yeah and I think thats pretty much the gist of the article I linked to there. But it was the other way around that I was thinking of. That being a britpop fan almost implied being a football fan, and vice versa. But I think you have it right. It was all part of an overall 'laddishness' that was very much of that time, and which was very prominent in the consumers of 'britpop'

Various - Unbelievable Too (CD) at Discogs

came out in 2002 apparently?

the Shine series seems to document it pretty well at the time although it starts in 1995:
Shine (compilation series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Compilations that come out after the event can often miss the mark [cherrypicking]. Unbelievable Too is pretty ok albeit it's a real mish-mash of stuff.

The Rhino Brit Box that gives before / after context is also good.

The Shines are decent.

The later volumes of Indie Top 20 [18 - 23] are fascinating for actual real-life Brit Pop. They cover the period from the end of 1993 until October 1996.

1157631_10153282827210089_193571670_n.jpg

1235109_10153282827795089_1531035242_n.jpg

Going back a bit this is also deadly [from 1991]
R-1846669-1269511020.jpeg

R-1846669-1269511045.jpeg

and there's also two volumes of Happy Daze.

Compilations that come out after the event can often miss the mark [cherrypicking]. Unbelievable Too is pretty ok albeit it's a real mish-mash of stuff.

The Rhino Brit Box that gives before / after context is also good.

The Shines are decent.

The later volumes of Indie Top 20 [18 - 23] are fascinating for actual real-life Brit Pop. They cover the period from the end of 1993 until October 1996.

I'm starting to suspect that your record collection is just a tat museum.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'd forgotten that one. DREADFUL.

Speaking of 1997 though, I loved this song back when I was 14 or so:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Your results
10 out of a possible 10

Well done! You are more 90s than plaid shirts and hairbands. You must have got through the 90s with a CD tower full to the brim and a tape deck forever being jammed – you really know your stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back