bringing synths on flights to new york (1 Viewer)

Alan Remorse

hey, we're playing at cmj next week but we use a juno 60 and a polysix...
firstly, it'll prob cost loads to get em over, and secondly, is it even a good idea in the first place?
are baggage handlers likely to smash my beloved synths into a million pieces? or will some fucked up altitude thing make them melt?
we're flying with aer lingus.

in any case, i can't imagine we could rent some over there. unless someone knows summat i dont?

hey, we're playing at cmj next week but we use a juno 60 and a polysix...
firstly, it'll prob cost loads to get em over, and secondly, is it even a good idea in the first place?
are baggage handlers likely to smash my beloved synths into a million pieces? or will some fucked up altitude thing make them melt?
we're flying with aer lingus.

in any case, i can't imagine we could rent some over there. unless someone knows summat i dont?

I wouldn't imagine they'd care if it was a juno 666 or a polysix when handling them...Have you flight cases for em? They would be pricey but would mean there'd be no problems with 'em...Other than that, maybe stick em in a suitcase, bubble wrap em a few times, and then wrap them in towels etc.

ìf FMC are hiring backline, ask them to see if the company they are hiring off would have either available and see how much it will cost (reckon around $100 each)

alternatively carry each of these on the flight in soft cases and put the rest of your belongings through as check in luggage.

you're allowed around 30 kg on flights to US for free so it shouldnt really cost extra.

I'd be more worried about actually getting into the US with a couple of synths than what happens to them IF you actually manage to get on the plane.

alternatively CONVERT TO MIDI and be done with all this.

i brought synths to cmj and sxsw before and had no problems. one small 303 as hand luggage and a bigger synth in the hold.

sYNTHS.jpg

tis the bowery club, can't remember address now... 9pm on wed night.

i think jay reatard is playing the same time though. DOSE!

oh and thanks for advice guys, we're gonna bring the synths on the flight.

apparently a juno 60 is 12kg and a polysix is 11.5kg, so with cases it'll prob come to about 35kgs i reckon (they're hefty bastards). not too shabby really.

Will there be any hassles with immigration? Like how will you explain you're bringing them in without saying you're playing a gig and therefore need visas...?

I could on the other hand be talking out my arse.

I think I'm booked to be eating Korean barbeque on Wednesday night.

I've been looking into it and there's not actually a whole lot I'd like to see at CMJ this year, there was oads on last time I was in New York and it was on 3 years ago. I think I might try to catch Phosphorescent on the Friday night.

You sure Jay Reatard isn't playing a 1AM set on the Friday? I read on some timetable that was when he was on.

Edit: He is. Also an 11AM slot on Thursday in Maxwell's of Hobocken. Which is in New Jersey.

Will there be any hassles with immigration? Like how will you explain you're bringing them in without saying you're playing a gig and therefore need visas...?

I could on the other hand be talking out my arse.

There was absolutely no hassle. Just put the gear through beforehand, told cusstoms dudes were on holiday. they didn't even check what luggage we had, it was all totally seperate.

Aer Lingus, on the other hand, can fuck off to hell. Despite having everything in flight cases with massive FRAGILE stickers on them, they broke my guitar and completely smashed up one of the synth cases. Looking at the case it's hard to imagine what they could have done to fuck it up that bad.

They've said they'll replace the case and pay for repair of the guitar - but in classic Irish style, they make it extra hard for me because i have to get it replaced, and have a receipt posted to them within 7 days of the flight. Considering I'll prob have to get the case off Thomann, this is an epic pain.

Seriously, fuck Aer Lingus.

How bad is the guitar?

You're in the right place to buy a replacement if you have the dosh.

Back in Ire now unfortunately. I can't afford a replacement in a million years.

It's not that bad. I think it must have gotten a bad knock though because the input is messed up, keeps cutting out when i move while playing. It was pretty bad to have that happen in the middle of our set. Should *hopefully* not be too expensive to fix.

Back in Ire now unfortunately. I can't afford a replacement in a million years.

It's not that bad. I think it must have gotten a bad knock though because the input is messed up, keeps cutting out when i move while playing. It was pretty bad to have that happen in the middle of our set. Should *hopefully* not be too expensive to fix.

Jaysus,thats rough alright.Did it fuck you up?
Yer lucking the synths weren't written off with that kinda bumpage.

Jaysus,thats rough alright.Did it fuck you up?
Yer lucking the synths weren't written off with that kinda bumpage.

it just made me really nervous for the rest of the set cos i was afraid to move. bandaged it up with tape after the song when it cut out and just made it through.

yeah amazingly lucky the synths weren't destroyed though.

I've been looking into it and there's not actually a whole lot I'd like to see at CMJ this year, there was oads on last time I was in New York and it was on 3 years ago. I think I might try to catch Phosphorescent on the Friday night.

There was a whole load of pants bands playing, but we saw some amazing gigs.

I saw one of the best gigs of my life on the fri night, Monotonix played and it was completely insane. Two drummers crowd surfing while playing. I took some cool videos, not sure how to put them online though...

The Irish night was a great laugh too. GAMAK were off the hook. It was just a really nice atmosphere for the whole thing.

my case.. my beautiful case...

but hey, that's the point of flight cases innit. they take the rap, and the synths get off scot free. (scot/scott?)

I'd imagine fragile is a red rag to a baggage handler though. wankers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back