Brian Lenihan has cancer (1 Viewer)

RTE are only saying that the Department of Finance are refusing to comment on the reports.
TV3 could come out of this looking pretty bad if this wasn't officially released.

Not the most sensitive way to deal with a story like this especially the day after Christmas.

Aye, poor form on TV3's behalf if it wasn't an officially sanctioned release of the info. I can understand them wanting an exclusive, but surely there was a better way to do it.

Oh yeah kinda went off topic to make glib remarks there. Yeah hope he knocks he bollox out of cancer. Unlikely as that is.

TV3 are cunts. I'd boycott them if they had anything worth watching, as is I'm just ignoring them.

the inevitable facebook campaign:

Name:Formally complaining TV3 News' coverage of Brian Lenihan's illness
Category:Common Interest - Politics
Description:
I like many others as disgusted at the manner in which TV broke news of Brian Lenihan's illness on St. Stephen's Day. If you agree that it marked a new low for Irish journalism please contact the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland at at 01 6441200 or [email protected]

The official way to lodge a complaint is by downloading a PDF of the complaints form http://www.bai.ie/pdfs/complaint_form programme_bai.doc , completing it and returning it by post which I will be doing and I hope many of you will too.

In the meantime, I also suggest copying the following to [email protected] and [email protected]
>>>

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to express my disgust at the manner in which TV3 News broke the story of Minister Brian Lenihan’s diagnosis of Pancreatic Cancer on the TV3 5.30 News bulletin on December 26th 2009.

Showing a complete disregard for patient confidentiality, the Minister’s right to privacy and the emotional turmoil that he and his family are undoubtedly going through as they grapple with this new diagnosis, TV3 broadcast a confused and frankly insulting piece; with no sources and official confirmation and frequent references to the Minister in the past tense.

I accept that the public has a right to information regarding the health of its leaders but an individual has a greater right to time and privacy in the immediate aftermath of such a serious diagnosis. To show blatant disregard for this right at Christmas time marks a sad day in the decline of Irish broadcasting and journalism.

I strongly feel TV3 has violated the The Code of Programme Standards on the grounds of fairness, objectivity and impartiality.

Yours sincerely,

He might not be a great Finance Minister but still seems like a decent politician. I've met him a few times and he was always really nice.
He showed up for something I was running the day after his father in law died because he didn't want to leave us in the lurch.
Hopefully he gets through this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back