BREXIT (7 Viewers)

The headline is a bit misleading.

"Nigel Farage says his car was hit by a van while he was driving around looking for fuel amid Britain’s ongoing supply chain crisis."

If these shortages gets any worse he will have to change his name to Nigel Forage.

possibly someone just jockeying for cultural superiority, but i was talking to a frenchwoman once who claimed that the french had no time for all those rules and regulations surrounding food that the british have; that it's more about ritual and showing your knowledge of arcane rules for the british, and more about the food for the french (the discussion was set off by a comment that you shouldn't lick your knife, and her attitude was 'what in holy hell is wrong with licking food off the items you're meant to eat it off?!!')
This reminds me of someone explaining the difference between manners and etiquette.

Etiquette is laughing at your guest for using the wrong type of fork.

Manners means using the same one so your guest isn’t embarrassed.

This reminds me of someone explaining the difference between manners and etiquette.

Etiquette is laughing at your guest for using the wrong type of fork.

Manners means using the same one so your guest isn’t embarrassed.

what type of house do i live in that i have a variety of forks for guests or did he bring his own?

Is this article by Colm Toibín not really crazy?

How is Brexit affecting Ireland?

Well, let me spend half the article praising the queen, then I'll talk about all the legitimate grievances the UDF have against the IRA and nothing going the other way, I'll continue to say that Sinn Fein are exactly the same as UKIP, and i'll end saying that the FF/FG/Green coalition are the "careful, thoughtful" bulwark against them.

Last edited:
Is this article by Colm Toibín not really crazy?

How is Brexit affecting Ireland?

Well, let me spend half the article praising the queen, then I'll talk about all the legitimate grievances the UDF have against the IRA and nothing going the other way, I'll continue to say that Sinn Fein are exactly the same as UKIP, and i'll end saying that the FF/FG/Green coalition are the "careful, thoughtful" bulwark against them.

Teh sentence I find the most hard to swallow in that is

Do they want to import sectarian hatred and the politics of perpetual grievance from the north into the south?

The south is more sectarian than the north. The south is full of perpetual grievance. Ten years ago my relatives from 'the south' (I am also from there, but actually southern) would turn white at the concept of going to Belfast, only to return a decade later and go 'it's not that bad'.

Hard to find his centre in that - The cafflick/Irish identifying population of NI always live under the hammer of voting being almost meaningless, but it only becomes a grievance when the same could be a possibility for the protestants. It's more a 'I'm very comfortable with the current sectarianism tnx'?

Teh sentence I find the most hard to swallow in that is

The south is more sectarian than the north. The south is full of perpetual grievance. Ten years ago my relatives from 'the south' (I am also from there, but actually southern) would turn white at the concept of going to Belfast, only to return a decade later and go 'it's not that bad'.
It's definitely more abstract down South for sure, and it's quite easy to be sectarian when it likely won't affect you.

(Simplifying I know, there's no shortage of families with IRA activities down south; most people I know at the very least know someone in one, if they're not from one themselves, but at the same time, not a lot of them have been in any way active in the past 25 years. It's mostly just drunk uncle stories these days.)

Hard to find his centre in that - The cafflick/Irish identifying population of NI always live under the hammer of voting being almost meaningless, but it only becomes a grievance when the same could be a possibility for the protestants. It's more a 'I'm very comfortable with the current sectarianism tnx'?
Yeah, that sounds about right.

The furthest north I've been is Letterkenny.

That's further north than most of Northern Ireland. Did you manage to get to Letterkenny without going through Northern Ireland?

I remember when people wouldn't drive through Northern Ireland to get to Letterkenny, such was the fear.

Ps the amount of anti Protestant rethoric ya hear in Dublin still amazes me. Defo not sectarian in the South though...

That's further north than most of Northern Ireland. Did you manage to get to Letterkenny without going through Northern Ireland?

I remember when people wouldn't drive through Northern Ireland to get to Letterkenny, such was the fear.

Ps the amount of anti Protestant rethoric ya hear in Dublin still amazes me. Defo not sectarian in the South though...

Went cross country & up through Sligo.
I was trying to say I've never been in Belfast, the furthest north I went was letterkenny. Then I looked at a map....

I hear the term "orange bastard" used to describe protestants most days in work.

Went cross country & up through Sligo.
I was trying to say I've never been in Belfast, the furthest north I went was letterkenny. Then I looked at a map....

I hear the term "orange bastard" used to describe protestants most days in work.

Was it because of the fear of the North?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back