BREXIT (9 Viewers)

The UK government seems intent on ignoring more or less every aspect of their agreement with the EU. Apparently now they have announced that they will be postponing checks on goods arriving into the UK until October and in some cases not until 2022. Which I think would make the implementation of the NI protocol all the more important if we are to maintain our position within the EU single market.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

We will maybe see trade disputes like this for some time which perhaps already began with AstraZeneca not meeting the agreed vaccine number with possibly no reciprocal exports from the UK. The EU of course can carry out legal action and implement tariffs on the UK and certainly impose it's own controls but I doubt if the current UK government will care in the slightest even if they are still in a weaker position.

Actually just double checked and the record wasn't the UK, so only a few books and a cd. I imagine the size of an item makes a difference as well as the value, records are pretty big.

Books seem to be exempt from VAT in Ireland since they are considered educational material but an import duty could apply over a certain value and anything under the value of 22€ wont be subject to tax until the first of July. It's also possible that the seller charges and pays any tax or duty due on an item. I've only had a couple of deliveries from the UK so far this year and one with a very detailed description of its contents but I haven't been asked to pay anything extra

Last edited:
so, these loyalist riots. they’re going to go on a bit, and at the end they will have achieved... nothing at all.

twenty years ago, they might have been able to leverage something like this into some kind of political concession. now it will just trundle along for a week or two, and then both the EU and the UK will go back to mostly ignoring them, and they’ll still be stuck with the NI protocol. I just hope in the meantime no-one gets injured or killed.

but ultimately this seems very much like one more step in the long crisis of post-brexit unionism. a symptom of unionist weakness, not unionist strength. or am I misreading this?

so, these loyalist riots. they’re going to go on a bit, and at the end they will have achieved... nothing at all.

twenty years ago, they might have been able to leverage something like this into some kind of political concession. now it will just trundle along for a week or two, and then both the EU and the UK will go back to mostly ignoring them, and they’ll still be stuck with the NI protocol. I just hope in the meantime no-one gets injured or killed.

but ultimately this seems very much like one more step in the long crisis of post-brexit unionism. a symptom of unionist weakness, not unionist strength. or am I misreading this?
sounds about right

They've showed the UDA drug dealers still have a lot of pull in the community but yeah you're right.

so... we all know that it is often the case that political trends and tendencies that begin in the USA end up being adopted, in various ways, by people in Ireland — or Europe more generally. BLM and #metoo are only the most recent obvious examples, but there are many more.

I was thinking about this recently, because there is this emerging phenomenon in the US (and actually even more so in Canada) of beginning any event with a land acknowledgement. you might have seen it in a few different things. you acknowledge the history of the land where you are, and thank the nation or tribe that are the original inhabitants. It’s a gesture to the native populations that were dispossesed by settlers over the last five centuries or so.

it’s possible to think that this is a powerful acceptance of reality, or a trite and tokenistic gesture, or many other things. but it is, regardless, A Thing.

so in the tradition of these kinds of trends being picked up elsewhere, I’m awaiting the moment when there will be someone who, either innocently or cynically, tries to do a land acknowledgement at some prominent event in Northern Ireland. because it seems like it’s potentially a huge mess just waiting to tip over. someone just has to say that they want to acknowledge that their event is taking place on MacDonnell territory, or O’Neill territory, or Magennis territory, and the whole thing would potentially kick off. it’s like a sectarian nightmare time-bomb hidden inside a little bit of what seems like fairly harmless gesture politics.

anyway, all of that is nothing directly to do with brexit, but given all the rioting and the like recently, it’s nonetheless connected. just a thought.

I think Americans just think the Irish thing is too hackneyed to attempt the sort of thing your saying, no matter how misguided but genuine it might be. Or even if it's a cynical attempt by an influencer to get attention.

Virtue signalling by mentioning something about Ireland or Irish history has been going on over there since the 90's at least. See Captain Planet, Star Trek TNG, Cybil, Boardwalk Empire, Gangs of New York, Sex and The City, that movie with Sean Bean in it where he dies. There are many examples.

Plus, they wouldn't even understand what NI is. Explaining it wouldn't make for a sexy TikTok video.

So, how absolutely fucked are we when GB News launches? Britain's very own Fox News. I'm genuinely worried with the thoughts of how much worse this is gonna make everything.

So, how absolutely fucked are we when GB News launches? Britain's very own Fox News. I'm genuinely worried with the thoughts of how much worse this is gonna make everything.
it could be fun. They are obliged to present an 'alternative viewpoint' to their own. I can't wait to see how that'll pan out.

The EU are shit because X, Y, Z
alternative viewpoint, but the EU are good because......

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back