BREXIT (7 Viewers)

I ordered a record a couple of weeks ago. Hasn't shipped yet but they took the VAT off when I made the order.
Actually just double checked and the record wasn't the UK, so only a few books and a cd. I imagine the size of an item makes a difference as well as the value, records are pretty big.

and meanwhile I imagine the shinners are happy to wait for the DUP to keep driving into more and more ditches until they eventually hit one they can’t get out of. don’t interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake, and all that jazz
so... just to stay on top of all of this as it trundles along

- DUP now say they are against NI protocol completely
- loyalist paramilitaries say they are now not only opposed to NI protocol but also opposed to the good friday agreement itself -- uh-oh
- London pokes a stick in the eye of the EU by unilaterally extending protocol grace periods

viewed from one angle, this is more brexit sturm und drang that is all just different types of westminster clowns jockeying with each other and ignoring the real effects on the rest of the world

but viewed from another angle, it seems like various gaskets blowing in a much bigger slow-motion crisis of NI unionism

and we have scottish elections in a couple of months, with the SNP all poised to clean up (despite their own weird internal knife-fight) so the general drumbeat of UK-falling-apart stories will go on through the summer at the very least. and now with the added extra of the EU trying to somehow force the UK to actually implement what they signed up to

oh and covid too

Yeah, NI Unionism is slowly becoming more and more fucked. Unfortunately, their natural response to this will be to shoot until they run out of bullets, and try and drag everything else down with them, because DUP.

Haven’t they always opposed the Good Friday Agreement?
no, on the contrary — one of the real successes of the good friday agreement was basically a form of quasi-bribery to get the loyalists on board. a lot of the money for those half-bribes (aka community development assistance or similar terms) came from brussels

here’s a news report from the time of the lead-up to loyalist decommissioning. they all got on board shortly after this. I seem to remember the LVF decomissioning being a bit of a media circus, but I can’t find video of that from a quick search

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

this was around the same time that Mo Mowlam famously went and took a trip to the Maze explicitly to get the loyalists on board:

searching youtube for “LVF weapons decomissioning” brings up a load of videos about a similar process that happened in the philippines, but with a group called... MILF. lol.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's one thing really to for loyalist paramilitary groups (who apparently all meet up from time to time as the LCC which is fine) to write such a letter it is another for the UK government to act on its wishes. There is probably allot the EU can do the withdrawal agreement hasn't even been ratified yet. It does seem like a genuine breaking point has been reached for some unionists but I wonder how many are willing to listen to them it only takes a small number to cause trouble I suppose.

Given the riled up state of certain "Irish patriot" groups at the moment that could get a bit tasty.

Those patriots are mates with the worst of the unionists so if anything they'd be working together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back