BREXIT (5 Viewers)

Much as I'd like to, unfortunately, I can't!

@billygannon would love to hear your thoughts on these latest developments
The letter from Corbyn is significant. Hopefully Jo Swinson comes on board with it. There will be a bit of negotiation and it may end up being a joint Prime Minister or a ceremonial Prime Minister or something along those lines.
There are people accusing Corbyn of making a power grab, but the reality is that he is the official leader of the opposition and therefore he has first dibs on being Prime Minister if there's a vote of no confidence.

As long as Swinson and Corbyn can get about 30 Tory MPs on board, then there will be a vote of no confidence in Johnson and an interim government will come in to play - with an extension (probably a year) and a General Election in November.
If there is an interim government, and they felt bold enough, they may look to set up a public inquiry in to the funding of the Vote Leave campaign...

A Second Referendum isn't going to solve anything and will only make things worse. It's because it's just about one issue, when the outcome of the Brexit referendum was driven by a whole series of problems that have built up over the decades.

At least with a General Election, a broad range of issues can be debated and Britain can start to seriously look at how its governed.

My thoughts are that Johnson actually wants this interim government and subsequent election. It's because he can claim he didn't look for an extension. He'll dress it up as a betrayal and go gung-ho with the jingoism. Like... Johnson is spending more time preparing for an election than he preparing for a No Deal.

Imagine it jumped from Johnson and Trump to Corbyn and Sanders!

Poor auld Leo would be in real trouble then.

There's a real question over the upcoming recession (which has been six months away for about six years I know but the Financial Times has gone into overdrive about it these past two weeks) and whether it will just lead to people abandoning all Green policies and pushing further right because of some vague idea that when the market fails we must...believe in market solutions more than ever?

Imagine it jumped from Johnson and Trump to Corbyn and Sanders!

Poor auld Leo would be in real trouble then.

There's a real question over the upcoming recession (which has been six months away for about six years I know but the Financial Times has gone into overdrive about it these past two weeks) and whether it will just lead to people abandoning all Green policies and pushing further right because of some vague idea that when the market fails we must...believe in market solutions more than ever?

My thoughts are that there are at least two upcoming recessions, one is the financial one floating around brexit and all that, and the other is some form of a green recession where one way or another some resource or something becomes unfarmable or ungrowable and it has a domino effect on economies. Like a potato famine style thing. Ireland is also set up wonderfully for an oil recession, where if China, CCCP or the USA takes the huff with europe (which produces a tiny amount of the global oil but uses loads of it) and prices hit maybe 25% on what they are now the whole economy would be turned into a mess.

I've been obsessing about Brexit unfortunately but it is at least good to see that there is more to the political landscape in the UK than just brexiteers. I haven't a clue what's going to happen but the whole thing seems to be approaching high farce at this stage Johnson's facebook broadcast from his desk in No.10 is kind hilarious or surreal even.

I've been obsessing about Brexit unfortunately but it is at least good to see that there is more to the political landscape in the UK than just brexiteers. I haven't a clue what's going to happen but the whole thing seems to be approaching high farce at this stage Johnson's facebook broadcast from his desk in No.10 is kind hilarious or surreal even.
That Facebook thing was bizarre. How could anyone watching that not think Johnson is lazy, uninformed, bored, unserious and just treating the whole thing as a a big joke. Yet millions of Brits will vote for him because he's a character with a posh accent and he talks about "getting things done". Mind boggling.

Well it's do or die as we approach the final hour with our old foe the EU. I would question if he was infact answering a genuine question from a member of the public at all the whole thing seemed very shaby but I hope he does a few more.

ahahahaaaa

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Anyone else think Boris is playing this pretty well? Seems clear that the rhetoric is basically to bolster domestic support and he is well aware the EU won't accept any of it.

- Galvanise support by being a belligerent prick
- Call an election
- Win said election while ditching the DUP
- Exit EU with a withdrawal agreement based on border in the Irish Sea

Obviously I completely disagree with everything he stands for but it is a compelling powerplay.

Gah fuck this country. Fuck all the racist old cunts who vote Tory.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Eh, "Kantar TNS"... I mean, who'd have thought the faceless marketing firm owned by the faceless megacorporation "WPP" would come out with pro-Tory results.

Anyone else think Boris is playing this pretty well? Seems clear that the rhetoric is basically to bolster domestic support and he is well aware the EU won't accept any of it.

- Call an election

Obviously I completely disagree with everything he stands for but it is a compelling powerplay.
Yeah, fair plan alright.

Kind of like Sanders in the US, if people actually vote for who they believe would do the most good for the country and not for who they believe is the most "electable", only then does Corbyn have a chance.

Thought this was a good piece today,

how anyone who isn't a rabid ALL CAPITALISM AT ALL COSTS gets painted as some Venezuelan "we'll be eating rats by December" plant.

Last edited:

- Call an election

Yeah, he's doing it well. Pushing the message of optimism which the dummies love - Corbyn's message is look at the mess the Torys have made.

Also using social media well. May's team were so fucking awful at social

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back