BREXIT (6 Viewers)

this is still going

They should all vote to meet up in the Westminster court yard for a giant fight at this stage the party with least injuries or most ministers left standing can decide what happens next.

The BBC’s Nick Watt said he asked the unnamed MP why Ms May was calling a third vote on her plan, the unnamed minister said: “F*** knows. I’m past caring. It’s like the living dead in here.”

They're doing a fairly stupid thing today (again!)

The MPs are voting on just the Withdrawal Agreement - not the Political Declaration.
The EU have been treating both of these separately, but the original Westminster legislation required a vote on both of them together.

To get around the Bercow judgement, which said they can't vote on it for a 3rd time, they're voting on half of it.

However... the EU has three basic requirements
  1. Pay what's due. This is the €39 billion. This is comprised of a bunch of things. Before the EU Referendum the UK committed to spending on EU projects up until 2020. Now they're leaving, they can't just walk away from those commitments. The main part of this is pensions - basically the UK has to pay the pensions of all those British EU officials (and MEPs... yes, including Nigel Garage).
  2. Don't fuck over EU nationals living in Britain
  3. Don't put physical border infrastructure on the island of Ireland and don't break the Good Friday Agreement.
The Withdrawal Agreement is what Theresa May has negotiated - so it's those three requirements being met but using the "red lines" Theresa May has set down. Labour have talked about a customs union which would mean the Northern Ireland border isn't necessary.

It's all subtle stuff, but the MPs are being asked to vote (again) on Theresa May's take on it - and most of them don't agree with what she's negotiated.

The EU don't really care how the UK meet these requirements, but as it stands the only negotiated agreement is the Withdrawal Agreement. The extensions that have been granted are not on Westminster voting on the Withdrawal Agreement; it's on Westminster voting to agree to meet the requirements of the EU.

Anyway... it's all totally up in the air.

No deal isn't a default. The British will be choosing a No Deal Brexit, even if they're not aware they've chosen it.

I just hope some sanity sets in. On the face of it Britain has been doing fine. However Brexit is exposing just how broken British politics is. It's centuries out of date and their parliament is just not working. It strikes me time and time again how the British parliamentarians, and their media commentators, twist logic to fit in to "how Westminster works". They've assumed that because it's tradition, because it's been done like this for centuries, that it's sacrosanct and sensible.
I suppose, in IT terms, it's like using a very jazzed up, highly customised version of Windows 95 as the operating system for a large organisation. It may have been brilliant when it came out first; it may have even lasted for much longer than it should; but it's still Windows 95 and comically out of date.

We do a weekly report in work where we were contrasting the uk/irl/scot press with the wider european press. This week, there was fuck all in the euro press that wasn't more than a slightly bored regurgitation of whatever is spewing out of westminster, and that has been the pattern over the past few weeks. I think the european press are exhausted with this bullshit and i think that'll reflect in the beeb etc within a week or two. if west coast tiny outlet has noticed you can be sure the beeb have.

They're doing a fairly stupid thing today (again!)

The MPs are voting on just the Withdrawal Agreement - not the Political Declaration.
The EU have been treating both of these separately, but the original Westminster legislation required a vote on both of them together.

To get around the Bercow judgement, which said they can't vote on it for a 3rd time, they're voting on half of it.

However... the EU has three basic requirements
  1. Pay what's due. This is the €39 billion. This is comprised of a bunch of things. Before the EU Referendum the UK committed to spending on EU projects up until 2020. Now they're leaving, they can't just walk away from those commitments. The main part of this is pensions - basically the UK has to pay the pensions of all those British EU officials (and MEPs... yes, including Nigel Garage).
  2. Don't fuck over EU nationals living in Britain
  3. Don't put physical border infrastructure on the island of Ireland and don't break the Good Friday Agreement.
The Withdrawal Agreement is what Theresa May has negotiated - so it's those three requirements being met but using the "red lines" Theresa May has set down. Labour have talked about a customs union which would mean the Northern Ireland border isn't necessary.

It's all subtle stuff, but the MPs are being asked to vote (again) on Theresa May's take on it - and most of them don't agree with what she's negotiated.

The EU don't really care how the UK meet these requirements, but as it stands the only negotiated agreement is the Withdrawal Agreement. The extensions that have been granted are not on Westminster voting on the Withdrawal Agreement; it's on Westminster voting to agree to meet the requirements of the EU.

Anyway... it's all totally up in the air.

No deal isn't a default. The British will be choosing a No Deal Brexit, even if they're not aware they've chosen it.

I just hope some sanity sets in. On the face of it Britain has been doing fine. However Brexit is exposing just how broken British politics is. It's centuries out of date and their parliament is just not working. It strikes me time and time again how the British parliamentarians, and their media commentators, twist logic to fit in to "how Westminster works". They've assumed that because it's tradition, because it's been done like this for centuries, that it's sacrosanct and sensible.
I suppose, in IT terms, it's like using a very jazzed up, highly customised version of Windows 95 as the operating system for a large organisation. It may have been brilliant when it came out first; it may have even lasted for much longer than it should; but it's still Windows 95 and comically out of date.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Jesus Christ. At least my 20 quid paddypower bet on a no deal brexit is looking better and better.

I support Corbyn's proposed policies and all that but I can see this killing any chance of support if there is a general election, or am I way off?

This is how the Novara people are/were framing it:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back