BREXIT (4 Viewers)

A nuclear bunker in Whitehall is having the cobwebs dusted as the operation redfold nerve center.

Also in May

That's probably a better model for a one time cabbie. In Donegal where it's literally the same guy with the same rant every time I'm willing to go full on cognitive dissonance terraforming

What's happening?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is what the EU has been suggesting I think that there needs to be a cross party and inter parliamentary consensus reached since the parliament currently is unable to come to any sort of common agreement in what the government should do. I expect it would be a series of votes then to see what courses of action the parliament actually wants to take. It could just end up being more chaos though they have more or less hit the brick wall at this stage.

This is what the EU has been suggesting I think that there needs to be a cross party and inter parliamentary consensus reached since the parliament currently is unable to come to any sort of common agreement in what the government should do. I expect it would be a series of votes then to see what courses of action the parliament actually wants to take. It could just end up being more chaos though they have more or less hit the brick wall at this stage.
Surely it would be overwhelmingly for revoke bar a few ERG nutters?

That's probably a better model for a one time cabbie. In Donegal where it's literally the same guy with the same rant every time I'm willing to go full on cognitive dissonance terraforming
My local cabbie is a Nigerian guy who talks about the racism he's experienced here.

the irish times inside politics podcast has a lot of illuminating discussion of brexit, although to be honest my brain still glazes over a bit

there was a good one just tearing down theresa may a couple of weeks ago

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Well...
A very significant vote tonight...
Parliament has voted to take control of the order of debates on Wednesday. This may seem a bit obscure, but it's huge.
Westminster has been more or less running on the same rules and conventions since 1604 (a whole lot of rules was written down in something called Erskine May - which John Bercow referred to when he ruled out a third vote on the Withdrawal Agreement).
Technically Britain has a Parliamentary democracy. However, the government, or executive, has always controlled the order of debates and the overall focus of the parliament. This is a convention, not a rule... because the assumption is that the government comes from the majority of MPs.
However... after the 2017 General Election May has had a minority government. She has a "confidence and supply" deal with the DUP - so the DUP aren't actually in government (hence there are no DUP ministers). The Tories have been setting out the order of debates etc. (this is what the Leader of the House of Commons, Andrea Leadsom is responsible for). MPs often propose amendments, which the government sometimes incorporate in to the running order of debates and votes, but the government always controls what gets talked about and legislated for.
Tonight's vote turns this convention on it's head. Instead of the Leader of the House setting out the agenda for Wednesday, it's going to be done by all the MPs. They're doing this so they can vote on a series of alternative solutions to Brexit (e.g. Norway+, Customs Union 2.0, Revoke Article 50, 2nd Referendum etc.). These are called Indicative Votes (a series of votes to indicate what alternative the parliament wants). However... the MPs may add in a vote to say that they should be charge of the running order on Thursday... and then following week etc.

We're in proper uncharted territory.

I believe "No Deal" is not going to happen. The ERG nutters are going to weigh in behind Theresa May's Withdrawal Agreement, leaving the DUP and some other headcases out on their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back