BREXIT (3 Viewers)

So the Brits were right that the EU always blinks first. Great, may as well bring back the Empire so.

D'ye think? I suppose for the hardcore brexiteers it is.

Maybe i'm just upset that we're going to have another two years of this interminable bullshit, looking at footage of Jacob Rees Moogs simperingly drawing political redlines from under his top-hat while Boris Johson chortles along and orders another plate of bangers and mash.

Maybe i'm just upset that we're going to have another two years of this interminable bullshit, looking at footage of Jacob Rees Moogs simperingly drawing political redlines from under his top-hat while Boris Johson chortles along and orders another plate of bangers and mash.

get ready for another decade of it, no matter what happens next. even if they manage to get a deal done, that’s only the beginning of the process. they haven’t actually negotiated the detail of their future relationship yet. we may as well just add a new section to the nightly news. local news, world news, sports news, brexit. forever.

I read somewhere that should Britain leave on the 29th March, they'd have to issue their tariff schedule in the next few weeks (to ensure they can trade using WTO rules).
There is a big debate within the British government over whether or not to impose tariffs on imports.
On the one hand they want to defend British farmers and manufacturers with tariffs on imports. On the other hand, they don't want the cost of imported goods (e.g. groceries in supermarkets etc.) to suddenly spike, meaning consumers suddenly see their day-to-day costs rise well above inflation.

If they decide with no tariffs, then that severely curtails their ability to do free-trade deals with anyone. Basically if they have no tariffs for EU countries, that has to apply to everyone else around the world. With zero tariffs, if they go to, say, the US, asking for a free-trade deal, the US will simply say no... because the US already have tariff-free trade with the UK - and UK goods would be subject to import tariffs to the US. This would be scenario for every country in the world. Zero tariffs ruins the UK as an exporting country.

Introducing tariffs means that the price of goods in Britain will suddenly shoot up. Some of the prices are going to be increasing by about 50% (or more). This will push a lot of British people in to poverty (the so-called "JAM's" - Just About Managing).

Another aspect of WTO rules is they don't cover services. They only cover manufactured goods and raw materials. About 90% of the British economy is based on services. It's hard to see how this would play out in a "no deal" scenario, but you can be sure that every country in the world will cherry pick when it comes to Britain trying to retain their service-based exports with them. Cities like Hong Kong, Tokyo, New York and Paris are competing with London and they would see huge opportunities to knock lumps out of all those financial markets London leads in.

One other reason why the UK might delay things is to do with food supply. In early Spring, Britain and Ireland pretty much import all their food. It's because it's just out of winter and local farms aren't producing anything. If the UK crashes out on the 29th March, it's fair to say they won't have any food (as the head of Tesco said, people better start liking leeks - because they're the only crop being harvested in the UK at that time of the year).

A delay to Brexit is a big loss to the Brexiteers. They want out of the EU immediately. A delay will make many voters asking what the actual point of leaving is. It's also a real signal that the British government, and parliament as a whole, wants to rescind the Article 50 notification. The EU won't want to grant a two-month extension with no clear goal of what's going to happen. Therefore they may kick the can down the road for a couple of years - and at that point I reckon we'll see a general election in the UK with several candidates canvassing for an end to Brexit.

She's on tv now. She basically just said " delay means delay", although she still wants to avoid that.

Time to post this again

Festival of Brexit Britain by Richard Littler - Saatchi Store
DoVICA_WkAAcqg-.jpg

D'ye think? I suppose for the hardcore brexiteers it is.

Maybe i'm just upset that we're going to have another two years of this interminable bullshit, looking at footage of Jacob Rees Moog s simperingly drawing political redlines from under his top-hat while Boris Johson chortles along and orders another plate of bangers and mash.
Great typo, has anyone made one of these?

why yes, yes I have
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I assumed it was this but carry on

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The EU already props up this sector yet it's a leading in cause for us missing those targets that will see us owing €500-600m a year in fines. The EU will give a short-term cash injection post-Brexit. Hopefully the money is used to incentivise reforestation etc.
And one last post just to labour the point
President Higgins questions environmental benefits of agricultural subsidies - FarmIreland.ie

PS could we not just hand over the reigns to this guy once and for all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back