BREXIT (4 Viewers)

It could be taken that he had to fire up that no-confidence craic to prove that a second referendum/peoples vote has been arrived at by exhausting all other avenues.

It could be taken that he had to fire up that no-confidence craic to prove that a second referendum/peoples vote has been arrived at by exhausting all other avenues.

It doesn't do labour any harm I think even if just reminds people that they can have a labour government. They are unless some of the other parties are going to grow really the only alternative to a Tory government plus politics can be a slow game to it has taken Corbyn his entire career to get to where he is now so he is not necessarily going to rush anything. There must be some negative effects on the way for the Torys they have probably being getting off lightly so far.

Last edited:
it also forces parliament to demonstrate exactly how inept and irresponsible they are, although that's probably lost on the majority of british voters anyway

Well hold on, membership in the Labour party has gone way up since he became leader. Yes, many of the old Labour Blairites (and I don't even mean that as a derogatory term in this case) can't and won't go along with his old-school left politics and a fair few have quit over it, probably with more to come, but that's really no bad thing if you believe in his message.
All true but while this reappraisal is going on Labour are a headless chicken. There was a good deal of excitement about Labour's new direction and a lot of horror at the result of Cameron's disastrous exit which led to the uptick in Labour membership. There's still a huge amount of energy and goodwill behind Corbyn. he just hasn't been able to be the lightning rod people had hoped. The Tories / Leave vote despite all their divisions are at least able to represent the gammons' "I'm sick of this, bloody politicians, just get it done" argument.

It's incredible that both Labour and the Tories are so entirely bereft of coherence...that's the only reason for their existence. You could point to three or four groups within both parties who could legitimately form their own new party. It's worrying.
As @hydromancer says, at least a Labour no-confidence thing would show the country that they could have a Left government. I'd be wobbly about Corbyn being any better in leadership than he is in opposition (among other things he's weird about Ireland these days) but still.

Last edited:
All true but while this reappraisal is going on Labour are a headless chicken. There was a good deal of excitement about Labour's new direction and a lot of horror at the result of Cameron's disastrous exit which led to the uptick in Labour membership. There's still a huge amount of energy and goodwill behind Corbyn. he just hasn't been able to be the lightning rod people had hoped. The Tories / Leave vote despite all their divisions are at least able to represent the gammons' "I'm sick of this, bloody politicians, just get it done" argument.

It's incredible that both Labour and the Tories are so entirely bereft of coherence...that's the only reason for their existence. You could point to three or four groups within both parties who could legitimately form their own new party. It's worrying.
As @hydromancer says, at least a Labour no-confidence thing would show the country that they could have a Left government. I'd be wobbly about Corbyn being any better in leadership than he is in opposition (among other things he's weird about Ireland these days) but still.
Have to agree. Perhaps he's just playing politics and if he is and it works fair play to him but he's just not impressive is he? Others in the party such as David Lammy seem to have a lot more about them. In the US you have these fresh voices on the left like Bernie, Beto and Ocasio-Cortez speaking with a very clear message. Corbyn is an altogether more muddled personality.

I agree - lots of people are blaming the EU for all the shit.

AFAICS there's just no way to have a soft border without a customs union, and that's what they've run aground on. Surely this was obvious from the word go?
I actually think the EU went very easy on them. It's not in their interest to make it easy to leave. Britain were totally out of their depth in terms of negotiations but it could have been so much worse for them. Look at Greece!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back