BREXIT (7 Viewers)

It’s going horribly. I’m out of here as soon as the shit starts hitting the fan. Trying to convince my English gf it’s a good idea to move to Ireland. Thankfully her dad’s Irish, and lives here so she has ties here and could get the passport, but most of her family are based in the UK. Worried for them and my Brits friends who didn’t vote leave.

Alistair Campbell is pushing for some kind of referendum but eh, the media probably don't like him all that much, All the same, if there is someone who has a skillset to engineer something like that, its probably him. Probably going to be some form of recession here too, the budget here was banging of it.

It’s going horribly. I’m out of here as soon as the shit starts hitting the fan. Trying to convince my English gf it’s a good idea to move to Ireland. Thankfully her dad’s Irish, and lives here so she has ties here and could get the passport, but most of her family are based in the UK. Worried for them and my Brits friends who didn’t vote leave.
My wife is English and has no ties here! We moved over back in 2014. She's devastated by the Brexit vote - as are all her family and friends.
I'm not sure about all your circumstances but the two big downsides to being here (we've found) are the housing situation and no NHS.
But otherwise it's grand - I've found Ireland to be a lot more different to the UK than I thought it would be!

My wife is English and has no ties here! We moved over back in 2014. She's devastated by the Brexit vote - as are all her family and friends.
I'm not sure about all your circumstances but the two big downsides to being here (we've found) are the housing situation and no NHS.
But otherwise it's grand - I've found Ireland to be a lot more different to the UK than I thought it would be!
More different in a good way?

More different in a good way?
I'm not sure... I'm a bit of a politics nerd and I'll definitely say Ireland is a lot, lot more democratic than the UK.

Okay... I'm generalising here... so obviously there are lots of exceptions!

We lived in the south of England and that's one of the most densely populated parts of Europe. You can tell... it really affects the character of the people there. Ireland has so much more space... like I mean the motorways are pretty much empty once you start going west. In England there are always people around, no matter where you go.

The NHS is a big difference too. I mean, English people can seem to be uncaring. However the NHS kind of sums up what's really good about English people... it's like when you need them, they'll be there for you. I think Ireland cares less about those in real need... but that'll change as Ireland, as a nation, gets wealthier. Hopefully we'll have our own version of the NHS in the next decade or so.

Irish radio has far too much talking!

I think Irish people are a lot more confident than English people... that's a good and bad thing!

Oh yeah... and the religion thing. I came to realise I grew up in a theocracy - 1980's Ireland was no weirder than any other fundamentalist religious county.

I don't know... I mean London is a different country to the rest of England. The north of England is very different to the south... likewise, the south west is different to the south east. There's a whole working class English culture which basically gets overlooked.

I'm really pissed off about Brexit. I can understand why there was a vote for it, but it's screwing up a country that means a lot to me.

I'm not sure... I'm a bit of a politics nerd and I'll definitely say Ireland is a lot, lot more democratic than the UK.

Okay... I'm generalising here... so obviously there are lots of exceptions!

We lived in the south of England and that's one of the most densely populated parts of Europe. You can tell... it really affects the character of the people there. Ireland has so much more space... like I mean the motorways are pretty much empty once you start going west. In England there are always people around, no matter where you go.

The NHS is a big difference too. I mean, English people can seem to be uncaring. However the NHS kind of sums up what's really good about English people... it's like when you need them, they'll be there for you. I think Ireland cares less about those in real need... but that'll change as Ireland, as a nation, gets wealthier. Hopefully we'll have our own version of the NHS in the next decade or so.

Irish radio has far too much talking!

I think Irish people are a lot more confident than English people... that's a good and bad thing!

Oh yeah... and the religion thing. I came to realise I grew up in a theocracy - 1980's Ireland was no weirder than any other fundamentalist religious county.

I don't know... I mean London is a different country to the rest of England. The north of England is very different to the south... likewise, the south west is different to the south east. There's a whole working class English culture which basically gets overlooked.

I'm really pissed off about Brexit. I can understand why there was a vote for it, but it's screwing up a country that means a lot to me.
Well put! I'd agree with the majority of this. Wales and Scotland very different to England as well, though.

Irish people more confident than English???

I spent years on the phones in customer service and you'd be delighted when an Irish person came on because they'd be so timid. Irish people and people from the north of England were the nicest, Londoners were mostly horrible and anyone from Devon and Cornwall were the fucking worst.

Mind you, this is just phone manner, I got the impression Irish people kind of expected incompetence from whoever they called.

Well put! I'd agree with the majority of this. Wales and Scotland very different to England as well, though.
Yeah... I think Ireland has a lot more in common with the north of England, Scotland and Wales. The south of England is a different place altogether... so many absolute pricks live there. But then... lots of the best people live there too.

Yeah... I think Ireland has a lot more in common with the north of England, Scotland and Wales. The south of England is a different place altogether... so many absolute pricks live there. But then... lots of the best people live there too.
Yeah, it’s really tricky. London is full some of the worst pricks you’ll ever meet but I’ve also made really good friends here, and it’s properly multicultural.

The HSE is so fucked, I had an issue this past year or so that turned out to be fairy benign but if it had been bad i'd probably be dead; waiting over a year for a basic scan FFS. All these GP's moonlighting in private hospitals at the same time to bump up their salary. Fucks sake. Its far too close to the US system for comfort.

My sister is in Scotland which has, like, NHS+1, it sounds amazing.

Irish people more confident than English???

I spent years on the phones in customer service and you'd be delighted when an Irish person came on because they'd be so timid. Irish people and people from the north of England were the nicest, Londoners were mostly horrible and anyone from Devon and Cornwall were the fucking worst.

Mind you, this is just phone manner, I got the impression Irish people kind of expected incompetence from whoever they called.
Oh yeah...
How do I put this...
There are a lot, lot more people in England. I think there's something like ten times the amount of people per square kilometre in the south of England than there is in Ireland.
It means there's a lot more competition... so I guess that makes English people more inclined to be abrupt or rude etc. It also means that to become successful in England, you're having to compete with a lot more people.

Like in Ireland in a lot easier to feel successful than it does in England. It gives Irish people a sense of confidence which I think a lot of English people don't have. I also think it means Irish people feel a lot more confident talking to strangers, or going out and doing stuff they've always wanted to do (e.g. start a band or publish a blog, get involved in politics etc.). You see it when you see an Irish person in England... Irish people really stand out because they can chat and talk to anyone in the room (again... generalising!). English people are a lot more reserved because, well, most of them don't have any confidence.

The 8th Amendment Referendum really hit home how easier it is to make a difference in Ireland than it is in England. You kind of feel helpless in England... because all the big decisions, and all the national discussions, take place in London among the elites. Like, in England most voters would never speak to their local MP... many of them wouldn't even know who their MP is. In Ireland... you will either know your local TD or know someone who knows them.

The Brexit vote was pretty much a big "fuck off" to Westminster as it was to the EU. Most English people aren't heard... so this was an opportunity for them. However, it was a really, really stupid referendum.

Anyway... these are all my own opinions! I'm not an expert

Nah... you have to pay to see a GP here. In England it's always free. It's a big difference.
My problem with the NHS for GP visits* is that you need to book a slot and wait a few days to be seen. I’d rather pay the money and be seen today when an intervention like an antibiotic might make a big difference to me, I don’t want to be sitting miserable waiting for a 5 minute consultation and a prescription. It’s different for a check up or routine bloods but not for when you really need it.

*based on Northern Ireland, may be more efficient in United Kingdom - Classic Edition.

Obviously the pros of the NHS outweigh that complaint. I really hope Brezit doesn’t completely fuck up one of the only good health systems in the world.

Boris Johnson's cunt dad. Hanging would be too good for anyone in the Johnson clan.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Boris Johnson's cunt dad. Hanging would be too good for anyone in the Johnson clan.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I listened to a fawning interview with him on Marian Finucane in January of this year.

Stanley Johnson on working for MI6 / Stanley Johnson Archives

unfortunately all the good bits about his how is son is just a bit silly aren't online, just some talk about the frightful good time he had blowing up trains back in the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back