BREXIT (6 Viewers)

Keep believing that lads. Boris Johnson is determined to take the UK out of the EU, no ifs or buts about it. The idea that he’s pretending and really wants to remain and will purposefully fuck it up is mental. He’s going to do it whether it tanks the British economy or not. He’ll be grand as he has his six figure telegraph column, his family’s money and his American passport. What has he got to lose?

Keep believing that lads. Boris Johnson is determined to take the UK out of the EU, no ifs or buts about it. The idea that he’s pretending and really wants to remain and will purposefully fuck it up is mental. He’s going to do it whether it tanks the British economy or not. He’ll be grand as he has his six figure telegraph column, his family’s money and his American passport. What has he got to lose?
What's he got to lose? Personally he wants to be liked, he wants to go party around Europe and not be shunned by his mates.

Fintan O'Toole and a few others have been arguing that it's a bluff, the problem being that everyone in Europe knows it's a bluff so they're not going to fall for it and it's going to be a car crash.

So it doesn't really matter why he's doing it, just that yes he most likely will do it.

I don’t think it’s a bluff at all

I would agree absolutely I think he personally would love to be outside of the EU and is not alone in government with that opinion and even the public at large. He is considered to be campaigning for an election at the moment and that is one of the reasons he was made the leader of Tory's because they are in deep shit vote wise but he seems to be backfireing for them at the moment.

What's he got to lose? Personally he wants to be liked, he wants to go party around Europe and not be shunned by his mates.

Fintan O'Toole and a few others have been arguing that it's a bluff, the problem being that everyone in Europe knows it's a bluff so they're not going to fall for it and it's going to be a car crash.

So it doesn't really matter why he's doing it, just that yes he most likely will do it.

Huh. I haven't actually seen this. Are you talking about the likes of this article?

Has anyone seen anything from people saying that Brexit simply won't happen at all because of a parliamentary revolt?

I mean, my logic isn't all that strong. I don't believe a word he says. I don't think he wants to be PM of a dissolving UK. I don't think he can honestly believe that Brexit would be anything other than catastrophic (at least in the short term). He probably has lots of nice thoughts and fantasies about leaving, it's a nice academic thought exercise.

But the idea of being PM for a crash out, end of days type thing has to be unpalatable. May was just a failure, she only did a piss-poor job and got fuck all done. BJ's legacy would be far worse, and he's too vain for that. If nothing happens, if his government turns on him on this issue, he's going to be in a much stronger place. He can talk some shite about getting a "new deal in the future", not giving up the fight! But right now he needs to mend the nation and unite people, get the economy working, look at options, work for the future, keep Britain great!

My only real logic for all of this is the alternative is very difficult and almost certainly fucked.

I did a search on
Parliamentary revolt halt brexit

and didn't get that much stuff.

Meh. Dunno. This is from some punter's blog:

He is saying exactly what I'm thinking though:

"Should this occur, late on Wednesday 10th April, regardless of what has happened in the passage of the Cooper-Letwin Bill, Britain will be just 48 hours from exiting the European Union with a no deal Brexit.

MPs will then be faced with a very stark choice with just hours to go. The Withdrawal Agreement will have passed away. The possibility of an extension will be dead. The choice will be startlingly simple: Accept No Deal or Vote to Revoke. And despite the fact that most MPs voted against Revoke in the indicative vote, and despite the fact that they fear the reaction of their constituents should they vote for this, faced with this choice with literally hours to go, I believe them quite capable of, and indeed highly likely to vote to Revoke Article 50. And indeed they are equally capable of justifying it by claiming that they couldn’t in all conscience see the country plunged into chaos (which could well prove to be a case of irony on steroids).

And thus the Mother of all Stitch ups, the Revolt of Parliament against the people will be complete."

They already entirely chickened out of crashing out no deal. I thought Theresa may did a great job on terms of literally bringing the brexit that they wanted to Europe three times and then showed that parliament didn't have the balls to back it. Expect muddling cowardice.

Parliament will try to stop a no deal exit certainly but it is limited in what it can do. B. Johnson is also just one player there are other hard brexiteers that can cause trouble. The 31st of October is a default exit unless a further extension is given the WA passed or art 50 revoked and there isn't a clear path to any of those scenarios.

He may not believe in it but it’s his shot at greatness so he’ll give it his all. He’ll either go down as the man who delivered Brexit or he’ll quit politics and make a fortune from his memoirs and consulting a la Cameron and Blair. Either way he’ll die a rich, much talked about man.

Not all men!

Honestly... I have no idea what's going to happen.

Half of me thinks Brexit won't happen; the other thinks it will.

It's important to realise that the majority - and a fairly big majority - of young people in the UK want to stay in the EU. Therefore whatever happens I can see the UK re-joining the EU at some point in the future.

What may happen is we see a No Deal Brexit, but the EU keeping the door open for Britain to rejoin (with lots of caveats) within the following year.

But yeah... after a few years of closely following it... I've no idea what's happening. Johnson is a man who doesn't understand consequence, like most of the Brexiteer cabinet. It's a symptom of always being rich.

Has this (effectively a US intervention on behalf of Ireland) come out of nowhere or has it been building a while now? It's passed me by if so, I thought Trump USA were fully on board with Brexit.

Members of both US Houses, and all parties, have been saying this for quite a while, certainly the last 6 months or so. The only person saying otherwise has been the Dummy in charge.

For example -

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back