BREXIT (11 Viewers)

Right now I think the Tories will organise a referendum just in Northern Ireland. I reckon the choice will be between the Withdrawal agreement and no deal - and possibly just staying in the EU.

The reason I'm thinking this is because it's dawned on May just how extreme the DUP are. They couldn't give a shit what happens to the Northern Ireland economy and they want the place walled in, away from the Republic.

This is calling their bluff... and it may be calling Corbyn's bluff as well. There's plenty of historical coverage of Corbyn supporting Irish re-unification, so he's going to have to do a big U-turn and say he suddenly supports the DUP (who most British people think are mad).

The rejection of her deal comes down to this Backstop... and the Good Friday Agreement makes reference to the people of Northern Ireland deciding on their own relationship with the UK... so... seeing as the EU won't re-negotiate... and no-one in Westminster will support the deal because of this backstop... and because most English people couldn't give a shit about Northern Ireland... I reckon she'll call a referendum in the North.

That said... all of this could be horseshit. Right now we're heading for a hard Brexit and no deal.

And I really hope that those few dozen mad Irexit people don’t snowball into an actual movement. At least we can point to the EU repeatedly putting Ireland’s best interests forward as a case for staying in (as long as they don’t forget us after Britain leaves).

May herself was talking about reunification yesterday according to morning Ireland this morning. Not let's-do-this talking, more like clutching-at-straws talking, or so it seemed to me. I'm not convinced the Republic would vote for that tbh.

I'm lost.

Currently:

Everything is in limbo.

Theresa May is trying to get her own govt to agree with a deal to brexit.

Her govt don't want to because they are children in suits and they still seem to think, or at least project that england still rules the seas.

three current outcomes that are possible (at this moment):

1. Theresa May's deal goes through, brexit next year, a bit of a recession.

2. No deal brexit, brexit next year, messy recession and lots of stand offs at ports and stuff.

3. referendum, either a second bite at the brexit referendum or as mentioned above, the six counties have a referendum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back