BREXIT (7 Viewers)

Why would they? They had loads of colonies, Ireland was just another one. If they had to think about how shit they treated all of them they'd never get out of bed.

The only problem with that Megan Nolan article is that she didn't hate the English before now.

Last edited:
This is a good article about Ireland and the Irish in Shakespeare: ‘What ish my nation?’ Shakespeare’s Irish connections

It's weird... I believe Ireland has been deliberately ignored in the story of Britain that the British tell themselves. They ignore the role that all their colonies played in their history.

You know... I started writing a load of stuff in response to this... I should write a blog or something instead!

Basically... I think Ireland is like the battered wife of Britain. She's managed to get a divorce, and she's getting on with her life... but Britain still thinks he owns her. When I say "Britain" I mean the Tory elites - and their knuckle-dragging henchmen who wear Chelsea jerseys and loudly shout at foreigners while getting pissed and sun-burnt.

Why would they? They had loads of colonies, Ireland was just another one. If they had to think about how shit they treated all of them they'd never get out of bed.

The only problem with that Megan Nolan article is that she didn't hate the English before now.
An English mate of mine said they covered Catholic Emancipation in A level history. I don't think we even did that for the Leaving Cert. Didn't study Daniel O'Connell properly at all until I went to college.

When I say "Britain" I mean the Tory elites - and their knuckle-dragging henchmen who wear Chelsea jerseys and loudly shout at foreigners while getting pissed and sun-burnt.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

An English mate of mine said they covered Catholic Emancipation in A level history. I don't think we even did that for the Leaving Cert. Didn't study Daniel O'Connell properly at all until I went to college.
I studied Daniel O'Connell for the Leaving - or Junior Cert - I can't remember which one! But yes... we did a lot on Catholic Emancipation.

My nephews-in-law (they're English) did some stuff on the Irish Famine in school, so it's not ignored.

But what is downplayed is how significant Ireland is in British history. For instance the Battle of the Boyne is certainly up with the Battle of Bosworth or the Battle of Agincourt... actually... it's way more significant than those! That led to the end of Catholic influence in the British aristocracy.

I also think the 1798 rebellion isn't covered at all in British history... yet Napoleon said that one of his biggest regrets was not supporting the Irish in this rebellion. Had that been successful (and it very nearly was), Britain would have been totally surrounded... and I think the Act of Union and everything that came afterwards was Britain effectively dismantling Ireland because the 1798 rebellion really scared the shit out of them.

It's also worth noting that the British Empire only expanded when Ireland was part of the Empire (like, Irish people were complicit in a lot of the atrocities of the British Empire)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And also... I mean how the Irish Famine isn't discussed widely in Britain is beyond me. Ireland was actually a part of Britain at that time. They love waffling on about Isenbard Kingdom Brunel and the Industrial Revolution... but they conveniently forget that a major part of Britain at the time was undergoing one of the most devastating famines of all time.

And then there's the Bengal Famine of 1943... again... conveniently overlooked in the hero-worshiping of Churchill.

I studied Daniel O'Connell for the Leaving - or Junior Cert - I can't remember which one! But yes... we did a lot on Catholic Emancipation.

My nephews-in-law (they're English) did some stuff on the Irish Famine in school, so it's not ignored.

But what is downplayed is how significant Ireland is in British history. For instance the Battle of the Boyne is certainly up with the Battle of Bosworth or the Battle of Agincourt... actually... it's way more significant than those! That led to the end of Catholic influence in the British aristocracy.

I also think the 1798 rebellion isn't covered at all in British history... yet Napoleon said that one of his biggest regrets was not supporting the Irish in this rebellion. Had that been successful (and it very nearly was), Britain would have been totally surrounded... and I think the Act of Union and everything that came afterwards was Britain effectively dismantling Ireland because the 1798 rebellion really scared the shit out of them.

It's also worth noting that the British Empire only expanded when Ireland was part of the Empire (like, Irish people were complicit in a lot of the atrocities of the British Empire)
Maybe a little bit for the Junior cert but not much. Modern Irish History for the leaving started just after the famine and went to just after Lemass.

I remember spending at least a month studying Daniel O'Connell and Catholic Emancipation in school. This was back in the early to mid 90's - so I'm not sure if it's changed since then.

I remember spending at least a month studying Daniel O'Connell and Catholic Emancipation in school. This was back in the early to mid 90's - so I'm not sure if it's changed since then.
Did it in the late 90s but it changed pretty shortly after us so would have thought it was the same. Who knows

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back