BREXIT (6 Viewers)

My father would drive to Letterkenny via Madrid rather than go through the north because of the fear, Sligo always did the trick though. I didn't cross the border until I was 32 but that was for no particular reason.

getting from dublin to inishowen when we went to visit relatives would have been fun if we'd avoided the north. my dad was well used to crossing the border having grown up close to it anyway.

Was it because of the fear of the North?

I think it was just the way the sat nav sent me.
Having said that I went home a different way. A long the border and down the east coast.
Driving in Antrim ( I think) I past some dodgy looking estates. Loads of tattered union jack's flying in the air. I was hoping the car wouldn't break down.

I always assumed the avoidance of Norn Iron unless absolutely necessary was more down to wanting to avoid that whole guns pointed at the car windows while stopped at the border thing than avoiding the natives

If I were to compare my experiences of sectarianism from living in Belfast to living in Dublin,well I can't. Belfast takes the gold,silver,and bronze,in fact Dublin doesn't even know there is a competition going on.

I never heard a sectarian joke in my life until I was about 18.
unless you count Paddy Irishman.

then I started to hear some jokes about Protestants looking like ET or the Pope headbutting the Queen when they were watching an Old Firm football match. and some less funny ones.

another one was people being shocked when a Protestant family sang ''OOH A UP THE 'RA'' loudly in a pub sing along. they're Irish the rest of the pub were singing too and they had a few drinks so nothing unusual there.

the only Rangers fan I ever met was a very Protestant guy (aged about 50 now) from co. Tipperary but even he married a Catholic. Protestants are dying off fast.

like anti Semitism it's hard to work out where this crap comes from and how it has any relevance to the modern world where religion only needs to be taken out of schools and it will be dying very quickly.

funnily enough I just sent a long email to a guy in Spain where this stuff came up in relation to the war in N.I.

I think it was just the way the sat nav sent me.
Having said that I went home a different way. A long the border and down the east coast.
Driving in Antrim ( I think) I past some dodgy looking estates. Loads of tattered union jack's flying in the air. I was hoping the car wouldn't break down.

Armagh most likely.

I always assumed the avoidance of Norn Iron unless absolutely necessary was more down to wanting to avoid that whole guns pointed at the car windows while stopped at the border thing than avoiding the natives

When you live beside the boarder or in Northern Ireland these things were just part of every day life. Still driving an extra two hours on shitty/shittier roads seems worse.

have heard loads of stories about people from the north who were surprised at how little us southerners cared about their background, after being told for years their limbs would be torn off them if they came down here.

We travelled through the Strabane border all the time as my mother's family are from Omagh. It was fun to see my Dad's knuckles on the steering wheel clenched white with anger as the sqauddies smiled and winked at his teenage daughter.

So they have the tory party conference, and then in a couple of weeks they get to hang out in Scotland at COP26?

I wanted to be a journalist when I was younger, but it must require a lot of moral gymnastics, if not total cognitive dissonance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back