BREXIT (18 Viewers)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Let's say the UK ignores them, crashes out, installs a hard border, doesn't pay the money they owe the EU, what are the real consequences for them? (Other than presumably the RA starting a campaign that afternoon.)

Do they just become some kind of pariah state? The US claims they'd deal with them. Can the EU take action against the UK? I'm guessing they could backdoor something, like insisting on expensive visas for Brits to visit any EU country, various tariffs on goods, generally making their lives as miserable as possible etc.

There's no World Police that goes around making sure debts are paid, agreements are honoured etc. right?

Just to add to this, should the above happen (reneagueing on all agreements and debts which results in extreme isolation) Billy's vision of the UK dissolving into a fascist state seems even more likely to me for some reason.

Man. Your heart goes out to NI and Scotland, hopefully they can extricate themselves from this shitshow.

jacob often reclines in the commons, actually

He dosent look that comfortable. Reminds me of trying to sleep in an airport if your flight is cancelled.
Very hard to get comfortable

It looks like Johnson is snookered.
He's going to call for an election on the 14th... wait, no, 15th... wait, no 16th October (the 14th and 15th are a Jewish festival and Jewish can't vote on those days).

Because of the Fixed Term Parliament Act (2011) he needs to have a two thirds majority to call an election.

He's not going to get this, unless he agrees to a ruling out a No Deal Brexit by law. In fact Jeremy Corbyn will more or less decide the conditions for the next General Election.

Removing MPs like Rory Stewart or Dominic Grieve or Philip Hammond will massively backfire for Johnson. It remains to be seen what will happen, but as it stands there will be a lot of independent, centrist candidates standing in the next UK General Election. The Tories are going to enter in to an electoral pact with the Brexit Party - which I can see backfiring for both. Many Tory voters will look at this coalition as being too extreme, while in the Labour voting areas, which the Brexit Party will focus on, the Brexit Party will be seen as, in effect, Tories.

The thing is...
If you look at the policies, many, if not most, people would support Corbyn. It's easy to say Corbyn is pro-Brexit, but I think it's much more nuanced than that. Corbyn never supported the EU... it's the old-school Labour position. However, I believe he accepts the current reality. People forget that he's one of the longest serving MPs - so he knows how politics works. He works with the realities of the day. I can see why he's kept shtum about Brexit because he realises the major problem most people have is with austerity - it's just the UK media basically works for the Tories, so this message never gets through properly.

I think the centrists, like Macron, Hilary Clinton, New Labour, the Lib Dems etc. have to accept that the hyper-capitalism we've seen since the 1980's, which massively inflated Western economies, blew up in 2008.

Quantitative Easing was just a way of re-inflating over-priced assets, but it's only benefited the asset-holders (i.e. older, wealthy people). The people who work, and don't have assets (i.e. young, renting, in debt etc.) are the vast majority and, quite rightly, they want to have security, some comfort and a future to look forward to.

Brexit tapped in to this... but then the Corbyn vote, the popularity of Bernie Sanders, the rise of the Greens in Europe, the populists etc... they're all an expression of anger at a system that has failed.
I think the wealthy copped on to this quickly and they've used populism (like Trump, Breixt, Salvini, Le Pen etc.) to guide this popular anger in a way that favours them. However these populist movements are all being exposed and I believe we're going to see a major rise in left-wing, and Green, parties and politicians over the next decade. I think. But the left really does need less old, white guys leading them...

It looks like Johnson is snookered.
He's going to call for an election on the 14th... wait, no, 15th... wait, no 16th October (the 14th and 15th are a Jewish festival and Jewish can't vote on those days).

Because of the Fixed Term Parliament Act (2011) he needs to have a two thirds majority to call an election.

He's not going to get this, unless he agrees to a ruling out a No Deal Brexit by law. In fact Jeremy Corbyn will more or less decide the conditions for the next General Election.

Removing MPs like Rory Stewart or Dominic Grieve or Philip Hammond will massively backfire for Johnson. It remains to be seen what will happen, but as it stands there will be a lot of independent, centrist candidates standing in the next UK General Election. The Tories are going to enter in to an electoral pact with the Brexit Party - which I can see backfiring for both. Many Tory voters will look at this coalition as being too extreme, while in the Labour voting areas, which the Brexit Party will focus on, the Brexit Party will be seen as, in effect, Tories.

The thing is...
If you look at the policies, many, if not most, people would support Corbyn. It's easy to say Corbyn is pro-Brexit, but I think it's much more nuanced than that. Corbyn never supported the EU... it's the old-school Labour position. However, I believe he accepts the current reality. People forget that he's one of the longest serving MPs - so he knows how politics works. He works with the realities of the day. I can see why he's kept shtum about Brexit because he realises the major problem most people have is with austerity - it's just the UK media basically works for the Tories, so this message never gets through properly.

I think the centrists, like Macron, Hilary Clinton, New Labour, the Lib Dems etc. have to accept that the hyper-capitalism we've seen since the 1980's, which massively inflated Western economies, blew up in 2008.

Quantitative Easing was just a way of re-inflating over-priced assets, but it's only benefited the asset-holders (i.e. older, wealthy people). The people who work, and don't have assets (i.e. young, renting, in debt etc.) are the vast majority and, quite rightly, they want to have security, some comfort and a future to look forward to.

Brexit tapped in to this... but then the Corbyn vote, the popularity of Bernie Sanders, the rise of the Greens in Europe, the populists etc... they're all an expression of anger at a system that has failed.
I think the wealthy copped on to this quickly and they've used populism (like Trump, Breixt, Salvini, Le Pen etc.) to guide this popular anger in a way that favours them. However these populist movements are all being exposed and I believe we're going to see a major rise in left-wing, and Green, parties and politicians over the next decade. I think. But the left really does need less old, white guys leading them...

I think Laura Pidcock will be Corbyn's successor.

Still waiting for Philip Pullman to come round to him, then we'll know things are looking good.

i've become utterly fascinated with his hatred for Corbyn.

"He doesn't look like a leader," fucking hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back