breakfast suggestions please (1 Viewer)

Vegan? What would be a nice vegan breakfast ... hmmm I dunno. Some sort of muesli with plenty of nuts in it? Some nutty muffins, maybe? What other high-protein foods do you eat - nuts and tofu, is that it? Hmmm

Nope, I ain't vegan, although I have to eat like one sometimes!
Basically I'm intolerant to a lot of foods (and whatever people say about it being bull, believe me it's not) - red meat, dairy, eggs, yeast, cabbage (ha ha)..now, that wouldn't be so bad ( I don't feel sick if I have a small bit of dairy or a few slices of toast, but if I have an ice cream or cream or cheese I feel rank, and can feel horribly sick with cramps etc) BUT to add to this is that I found out I have high cholesterol - very very high. Which is bizarre as I'm not overweight, but it is basically a combination of hereditary high cholesterol and eating badly in college. I've always been a picky eater and ate fatty things a lot - but because I wasn't putting on weight, I thought I was grand. Turns out, not so.
So now I have yet another reason to stay away from dairy, red meat, eggs etc. Sigh.
My cholesterol went down but then I went and got it checked and it was really high again so over the last month I'm supposed to be on a strict diet, argh.
I'm not a saint, but I do my best. Although I have yet to cook with tofu...I hate most nuts but I eat seeds, pine nuts in moderation (very fatty), use soya, take benecol, have brown rice, Quorn, (made with egg white) porridge, flaxseed, olive oil, whole grains, don't eat bread regularly at all, don't eat chips, burgers, sausages, any fatty meat, fried food...
But I'm not a big vegetables person which is why I'm not veggie - also I eat chicken.
I also don't like fish very much and it's expensive (on a tight budget). I try to eat as much veg and fruit as possible but I should probably eat more.

Er, that was a very long reply....

Nope, I ain't vegan, although I have to eat like one sometimes!
Basically I'm intolerant to a lot of foods (and whatever people say about it being bull, believe me it's not) - red meat, dairy, eggs, yeast, cabbage (ha ha)..now, that wouldn't be so bad ( I don't feel sick if I have a small bit of dairy or a few slices of toast, but if I have an ice cream or cream or cheese I feel rank, and can feel horribly sick with cramps etc) BUT to add to this is that I found out I have high cholesterol - very very high. Which is bizarre as I'm not overweight, but it is basically a combination of hereditary high cholesterol and eating badly in college. I've always been a picky eater and ate fatty things a lot - but because I wasn't putting on weight, I thought I was grand. Turns out, not so.
So now I have yet another reason to stay away from dairy, red meat, eggs etc. Sigh.
My cholesterol went down but then I went and got it checked and it was really high again so over the last month I'm supposed to be on a strict diet, argh.
I'm not a saint, but I do my best. Although I have yet to cook with tofu...I hate most nuts but I eat seeds, pine nuts in moderation (very fatty), use soya, take benecol, have brown rice, Quorn, (made with egg white) porridge, flaxseed, olive oil, whole grains, don't eat bread regularly at all, don't eat chips, burgers, sausages, any fatty meat, fried food...
But I'm not a big vegetables person which is why I'm not veggie - also I eat chicken.
I also don't like fish very much and it's expensive (on a tight budget). I try to eat as much veg and fruit as possible but I should probably eat more.

Er, that was a very long reply....

I'd stay away from chicken then if your cholesterol is that dangerous.
just watched this documentary about modern farming methods, in each chicken you have more saturated fat than useful protein, the chickens
are fed on such a high protein diet coupled with little or no excercise, that now you get close to a pint of fat (bad ones) in modern chickens.

Fifty years ago they would have been relatively low in fat but high in protein now due to farming methods it's the other way round red meat is better for ya unless you buy organic chicks.

tough finding the actual healthy option isn't it?
:eek:

really?!
mother of god...I never realised that could happen...feck sake. I wouldn't touch chicken skin if you paid me, but I eat quite a bit of chicken breast. It's really hard to find organic chicken breasts that aren't in packs of four or aren't really really expensive.
There's a farmer's market here on saturdays though so I reckon I'll go this saturday and see if they have them, load up and freeze them and make sure I defrost them when I need them!!
Ok, well thank god I just bought silken tofu (first time cooking it - any tips?!) and quorn in case the tofu turns out rank.

really?!
mother of god...I never realised that could happen...feck sake. I wouldn't touch chicken skin if you paid me, but I eat quite a bit of chicken breast. It's really hard to find organic chicken breasts that aren't in packs of four or aren't really really expensive.
There's a farmer's market here on saturdays though so I reckon I'll go this saturday and see if they have them, load up and freeze them and make sure I defrost them when I need them!!
Ok, well thank god I just bought silken tofu (first time cooking it - any tips?!) and quorn in case the tofu turns out rank.

I'm gonna be useless and say get firm rather than silken tofu next time. I've never used silken so don't have any tips. However, if you search tofu on the food board; Dunchee and possibly others have posted some really good recipes there.

I'm more a fan of firm tofu, this teriake tofu steak works for me:

Marinade:
6 x tablespoons sake (available in asia market in generally rocking bottles - white wine will suffice - nothing too bombastic though)
6 x tablespoons soy (not too dark but )
2 x tablespoons sesame oil
2 x tablespoons honey
2-4 cloves garlic finely chopped, scrunch of sea salt, black pepper.

Cut tofu into inch long, half inch wide/deep pieces - like half fish fingers, lay on a plate and pour over the marinade, making sure all the tofu is good and soaked. MArinade in fridge for an hour. Shallow fry in a little oil over a low - medium heat till toasty on all sides (8 - 10 minutes should do it). Add remains of marinade and sieve in a tiny bit of corn starch to thicken.

Serve with a nice stir fry or salad. Bam!

On the breakfast front, this is pretty utilitarian, but you won't need to worry about cholestorol/eating for a good five hours; one banana, one pear, a quarter of a watermelon, vinnie's trademark handful of oats, touch o' honey and a glass of juice - blend - eatin an drinkin there...

my usual breakfast is light slices of wholemeal bread with a little butter and prosciutto parma ham. along with the obligatory mug of strong tea and after-food cigarette.

Loads of beers/ ales/ stouts seem to be veggie in their bottled versions and not in their cask versions. I don't understand it either.

Oh and the silken tofu would be better used to make vegan mayonnaise or pretend cheesecake topping, it's too gooey for anything else.

Spiced Scrambled eggs

Takes a bit of effort but really top

2 small onions
1 small chilli
1 cube of ginger grated/chopped
4-6 eggs
¼ tsp of turmeric
3-4 tomatoes chopped
1-2 tsp chopped fresh coriander
good pinch of cumin

fry onion chilli and garlic till cooked. Add chopped tomatoes and cumin still all liquid has evaporated. Whisk eggs coriander and turmeric in bowl and then add to pan with rest of ingredients, mix together in pan till cooked.
Serve on toast/bread of choice.
Very Tasty!!

also if you make an omlette and throw a few baby spinach leaves in one you've throw in egg in, also very tasty. my fav is mushroom cherry tomatoes and mozerella and spinach, very tasty indeed. the misses loves this.

to add to this is that I found out I have high cholesterol - very very high.
You should do some reading up on managing cholesterol by diet - the commonly-accepted low-fat method isn't necessarily the best way, there's quite a bit of debate. I've never had my cholesterol level tested, but from what I've read it isn't fat that causes excess cholesterol to be produced, it's calories, so eating too much sugar can have the same effect. I also read that eating food rich in cholesterol can reduce your cholesterol levels because it turns off your internal cholesterol production. Avoid the usual "eat healthy" sites, they all just say the same thing, and look for places that talk about the actual chemistry of cholesterol production

I also don't like fish very much and it's expensive (on a tight budget)
Depends on the fish. Mackerel and herring are very cheap and very very nice, but they have to be absolutely fresh - eat em the day you buy em

You should do some reading up on managing cholesterol by diet - the commonly-accepted low-fat method isn't necessarily the best way, there's quite a bit of debate. I've never had my cholesterol level tested, but from what I've read it isn't fat that causes excess cholesterol to be produced, it's calories, so eating too much sugar can have the same effect. I also read that eating food rich in cholesterol can reduce your cholesterol levels because it turns off your internal cholesterol production. Avoid the usual "eat healthy" sites, they all just say the same thing, and look for places that talk about the actual chemistry of cholesterol production

Depends on the fish. Mackerel and herring are very cheap and very very nice, but they have to be absolutely fresh - eat em the day you buy em

good points there - I do eat too much sugar alright. Don't eat a lot of fat. I cannot describe how much I absolutely hate having high cholesterol - I'm sick of analysing everything I eat and feeling guilty if I eat one biscuit!!!
I like being healthy but I could live without the guilt :(

How high is you cholesterol, sweetoblivion? Do you know your LDL/HDL ratio? Don't let your doctor scare you, you might not be at risk at all. Why did you get your cholesterol tested in the first place?

Eh, I'd be embarrassed to say - believe me, it's not a paltry 5.5 or something!! I wish! My good cholesterol is good but my bad cholesterol is over what it should be.
I was getting my thyroid checked and my cholesterol ended up being the problem! Have had my thyroid re-checked a few times and the second last time it was slightly underactive (which is related to high cholesterol) but then I got it checked again and it was 'normal'. My doc says I have a slight swelling of the thyroid gland (which I think is pretty obvious) but I had an ultrasound and there were no cysts. Thyroid problems do run in my family however.
Sorry, have turned this into the 'Aoife's mysterious medical problems thread'.
I have to say, aside from all that I am healthy..! and like I said earlier, I'm not overweight and never have been. But I did eat waaaaaay too much chocolate/chips in college. Maybe that's what fucked me over!!

Nasi Goreng - It's an Indonesian fried rice breakfast with an egg on top. Cook your rice the night before or if it's leftover from a takeaway even. Takes oily fish really well so lots of good etc.
I recently gave up bread, I'm a bloke, never thought I'd be able to last more than an hour on just a juice or smoothie for breakfast. Been really surprised and never felt better. Even the five minute process of choosing what's going in it today has woken the head up and discounted the need for the other thing I thought I'd never be able to go without, coffee.
Soup is kinda good but perhaps weird for breakfast. It's light and endlessly possible to vary it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back