bookshops, they are lovely, ja (1 Viewer)

Super Dexta

This is a thread about your favourite bookshops.

I :heart:
* Anthology Books (though i don't think I've ever actually bought a book in there cos they're expensive, still, a girl can dream)
* Red Ink
* Vibes and Scribes in Cork. mmmm, mucho cheapo books
* yon stalls in Temple Bar square of a weekend - picked up loads of cheap secondhand stuff there recently
* Rathmines Bookshop - mmmm, dust, and cheap books
* some place in Galway that I can't remember the name of, but it's huge and random and pure mad deadly

I've never been to the Rathmines one, but I agree with your above sentiments.

Is the one in Galway called 'Kenny's'? If so, I've never been, but I've ordered a bunch of stuff from there on the internerd.

Also, the Secret Book (and Record) Store. Vintage Penguin classics coming out the hoo haa, and I like that sort of thing.

jane said:
I've never been to the Rathmines one, but I agree with your above sentiments.

Is the one in Galway called 'Kenny's'? If so, I've never been, but I've ordered a bunch of stuff from there on the internerd.

Also, the Secret Book (and Record) Store. Vintage Penguin classics coming out the hoo haa, and I like that sort of thing.
oh yeah, forgot about the secret book and record store. nice guys. cheapo books.

second hand books are DEADLEEEEEE.

oh oh! I also forgot Books Upstairs. got massive don delillo book there for a tenner. yippee!! and they've loads of jeanette winterson in their LESBIAN section. i think somebody told me the other day that they were one of the first bookshops in ireland to have a LESBIAN section. or gay, or something. anyway, deadly.

you'd love hay-on-wye then.

over forty one bookshops (mostly second hand) in a town of 1300 people

Youse wanna go here:

tele3.jpg

Bukes and moosick all in the one street. And for the boys, manys a young college coed...:heart:

The Rathmines Book shop isn't all that cheap, I don't think. I :heart: cheap bukes. There's a good lil second-hand bookshop in Dun Laoighaire, the name of which escape me, but it's totally reasonable with plenty of good shit. The Trinity student bookshop is good for cheap second-hand stuff too; better than UCD's. Charity shops can be total legends, like Mrs. Greene's in Templeogue. Lots more books than any of the other charity shops I know, and super cheap. I picked up 8 books for 6 quid there one week lately, including hardbacks an stuff .|..|

Ah, sweet bookshops.

I think everyone's covered it already, which makes me think there aren't enough good bookshops around.

Anthology is great, all right, and the two lovely ladies who own it work their arses off, are real booklovers and the shop has recently celebrated a year in existence. So, pats on the back all round.

I sometimes pick up some good, cheap stuff downstairs in Chapter's on Abbey St and the Oxfam bookshop on Parliament St stocks some interesting stuff and can sometimes be the place to find cool history books.

Oh, little tip. Amnesty International's Freedom Cafe on Fleet St often stocks brand new books for a fiver a piece. Lots of shit but often some hidden gems. They're review copies donated by the Irish Times, you see.

Running a second-hand bookshop would really be living the dream, I reckon. Anyone fancy opening one with me then...?

Super Dexta said:
* some place in Galway that I can't remember the name of, but it's huge and random and pure mad deadly

charlie byrnes maybe? thats a deadly shop. when i used live in galway i used to go there every dole day and pick up a few books. best thing about that wretched city.

portobello books on rathmines road is not too bad either, small but some good stuff. i picked up a rake of brian aldiss there recently for cheap. was there a couple of weeks ago and everything was very cheap making me think its gonna close down but i dunno.

Miss Piggy said:
portobello books on rathmines road is not too bad either, small but some good stuff. i picked up a rake of brian aldiss there recently for cheap. was there a couple of weeks ago and everything was very cheap making me think its gonna close down but i dunno.

That place has been looking like it is just about to go bust for the last year. I reckon it is a clever marketing ploy - it makes you feel sorry for them and then you go in and buy stuff.

Here, does anyone know any places that give cash money for 2nd hand bukes? That sounds stupid given the wealth of 2nd hand book stores in Dublin, but the last time I tried I walked Dublin trying to get rid of a bag load. The Secret Book and Record Store told me they don't bother taking bukes off anyone anymore, its easier for them to buy in bulk from the UK.

Fuck. Sake.

I've loads I want to get rid of, and I could do with a few €, ya dig?

therecklessone said:
Here, does anyone know any places that give cash money for 2nd hand bukes? That sounds stupid given the wealth of 2nd hand book stores in Dublin, but the last time I tried I walked Dublin trying to get rid of a bag load. The Secret Book and Record Store told me they don't bother taking bukes off anyone anymore, its easier for them to buy in bulk from the UK.

Fuck. Sake.

I've loads I want to get rid of, and I could do with a few €, ya dig?

eeeeebay

spiritualtramp said:
Unless the books are in mint condition or are rare you'll only get about a quid per book.

Probably less hassle giving them to Oxfam if you just want to get rid of them for space.

true. although I have never used ebay.

everyone in work seems to use it constantly.

My favourite bookshop is amazon. Charlie byrnes is huge but i've only found a few things i wanted in there (mostly looking for music biographies and photo books).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back