Books From Your Teens (1 Viewer)

I also cannot get excited about many other things like romantic relationships,
travelling, learning to drive, having a job and other mundane things so
it has to be viewed as a wider trait of my personality.
Having a job is mostly shit

... but I've heard you talk about this before and I can't help but think that you're stuck in an outsider's perspective. How these things seem from the outside is utterly different to the actual experience of them, no matter how good your imagination is.

If you had never listened to the music you love now, and had someone describe it to you, it'd most likely sound rubbish

Nothing wrong with not being into fiction. I like it, but I don't think people should be.

It's not like, say, not liking music or whatever. ("Hey, what kind of music are you into?" "You know what, I ...actually don't like music.") Roddy Doyle said something interesting recently, that men his age aren't into fiction. They're into reading about Stalin and Wayne Rooney. So I dunno, there's a wealth of nonfiction out there too, and stories are stories whether they're made up or true, or half made up.

But yeah, U.K. LeGuin was brill. re. S King, I'd never read a King book. I had a snobbish attitude to him, I'm ashamed to admit. Recently I read The Shining. It was good fun, and well written. I've read a bunch of his short stories since, and I think that's what he's best at. I never thought the written word could scare me, but it did. Especially "Jerusalem's Lot". Great buzz.

And that's all I have to say about that. You're all bookworm pricks.

For me it was a big diet of King, other horror (James Herbert ... jaysus), lots of SF, a small amount of fantasy (all the ones mentioned above).

Probably the most influential book I read as a teenager was Stephen King's book about horror - Danse Macabre. Not only did it open me up to lots of interesting writers that were somewhat out of the mainstream (Harlan Ellison, Shirley Jackson, Ray Bradbury) it also had really good stuff in it about the mechanics of horror i.e. why we are interested in it, how it works, what makes it effective. There was also some elements of sociological analysis of culture (i.e. the Exorcist was successful because it tapped into post-1960s parent's fears about their children being out of control and breaking out of conservative lifestyles etc.). Keep meaning to pick up a copy and re-read it.
Harlan Ellison is AMAZING. I brought a massive anthology of his home from the states

I remember vividly now, buying it in Borders in Forest Hills Queens the same weekend as I bought my Blueberry imac!

Aww man good times!

Dance Macabre was a great read. I had read every King book when I was 18 . Pretty much stopped then..I think after The Tommykonckers which I don't remember much about.. It mustnt have been great.

IT is still the longest book I ever read i THINK.

I had a copy of this knocking around the house, Robin Hood saving the earth from an alien invasion king of thing, must have read it 20 times aged 10-15 or so. Never read any of the sequels because, well, where would I get them??
I loved it but I assume it was terrible

515uOXeWAhL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Tommyknockers was the first SK I read. It seemed great to me then. Everyone starts figuring out how to do fancy technical stuff to make their lives easier - a thing for sorting the mail at the post office is the only example I remember. It turned out there was a huge pyramid shaped spaceship buried in the forest that some guy found by accident and started digging up and it was this that did it. It was training people in the skills needed to get it going again, iirc. I remember Pet Semetary as the scariest one.

Having a job is mostly shit

... but I've heard you talk about this before and I can't help but think that you're stuck in an outsider's perspective. How these things seem from the outside is utterly different to the actual experience of them, no matter how good your imagination is.

If you had never listened to the music you love now, and had someone describe it to you, it'd most likely sound rubbish

as I said I'm either hugely into something or It doesn't appeal to me much.

musically i like everything from throat singing to Turkish saz music to Filipino 1980's HC punk
to Peruvian noisecore to Polish post punk to musique concrete to Malian rock and lots of stuff
(from mostly before my time) like - old rock, rap, funk, indie, metal, disco that is widely loved.

I put a big effort in finding interesting music.
if I read a review of something and I can't imagine what it sounds like I want to listen to it immediately.

yes - egg i've said this before:

there is a cabal of mostly corporate people who are deciding what popular culture we consume.
some people call it The Spectacle.
and they aren't going to decide what I listen to or watch or read or what I think is important.

they are IMO often deeply out of touch with the lives of ordinary folk who never get
to do anything creative for a living.
there are vast swathes of people in the world who for many different reasons are not
given a platform in the media world - but money is always involved.

''...you're not even an ape, you're a media person..."
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

heard this quote on an old demo tape.

I also loved Harlan Ellison. I remember drawing a picture of 'Quarlo' the future soldier with a psychic bond to his cat (as far as I recall). I wanted to name my first band after "The Ballad of Soupbone Pew" but was shot down. Fortunately.

I had a copy of this knocking around the house, Robin Hood saving the earth from an alien invasion king of thing, must have read it 20 times aged 10-15 or so. Never read any of the sequels because, well, where would I get them??
I loved it but I assume it was terrible

515uOXeWAhL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I bet it's no The Little People, featuring the nazi leprechauns. I have actually read this.

22058795.jpg

The Tommyknockers was the first SK I read. It seemed great to me then. Everyone starts figuring out how to do fancy technical stuff to make their lives easier - a thing for sorting the mail at the post office is the only example I remember. It turned out there was a huge pyramid shaped spaceship buried in the forest that some guy found by accident and started digging up and it was this that did it. It was training people in the skills needed to get it going again, iirc. I remember Pet Semetary as the scariest one.
Ahh yes! I remember it now!

Nothing wrong with not being into fiction. I like it, but I don't think people should be.

It's not like, say, not liking music or whatever. ("Hey, what kind of music are you into?" "You know what, I ...actually don't like music.") Roddy Doyle said something interesting recently, that men his age aren't into fiction. They're into reading about Stalin and Wayne Rooney. So I dunno, there's a wealth of nonfiction out there too, and stories are stories whether they're made up or true, or half made up.

But yeah, U.K. LeGuin was brill. re. S King, I'd never read a King book. I had a snobbish attitude to him, I'm ashamed to admit. Recently I read The Shining. It was good fun, and well written. I've read a bunch of his short stories since, and I think that's what he's best at. I never thought the written word could scare me, but it did. Especially "Jerusalem's Lot". Great buzz.

And that's all I have to say about that. You're all bookworm pricks.

Didn't read Stephen King until I was in my 20s. Pet Semetary was the first novel that actually scared me. I loved it. I'm making my way through Under The Dome at the moment and really enjoying it. It's a fun story.

I read IT a few years back and thought it was terrible.
Also read the Stand, took me ages to get through. First 400 and last 200 pages are fantastic. The middle 800, not so much.

Didn't read Stephen King until I was in my 20s. Pet Semetary was the first novel that actually scared me. I loved it. I'm making my way through Under The Dome at the moment and really enjoying it. It's a fun story.

Do not - I repeat DO NOT - make the mistake of watching the TV adaptation.

I have read The Stand, twice, the extended version. Which probably shows how much I liked it when I was young.

I think I actually read the extended edition. Some parts of that book are fantastic. And there's actually still a lot that I remember really clearly from it even though I read it 10 years ago.

Do not - I repeat DO NOT - make the mistake of watching the TV adaptation.

Really? It seems like a hard one to fuck up.

I watched all series of Mr. Mercedes and really enjoyed it. It went a bit stupid in the second series but apart from that I really liked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back