Boa Morte - Free 10th anniversary download of "Soon it wil come time..." (2 Viewers)

billboa

10[SUP]th[/SUP] Anniversary giveaway of Boa Morte’s debut album ‘Soon it will come time to face the world outside’

Free/pay what you want download:

http://boamorte.bandcamp.com/

It’s 10 years on since the release of our debut album ‘Soon it will come time to face the world outside’ and we want to mark the occasion by re-releasing it as a free download. The record was originally issued on a label called Shoeshine Records, owned and run by Francis MacDonald of Teenage Fanclub. Prior to that we had been on a US label called Moodfood Records which was home to Ryan Adams band Whiskeytown (I won’t go into the details of the split but if you ask me I’ll tell you).

The album was recorded in 2001 with the brilliantly eccentric producer Daniel Presley who had previously recorded one of our favourite albums by a band called Spain (the sonically delicious – ‘The Blue Moods of Spain’). Label boss Francis MacD first heard our record on studio speakers while recording with Teenage Fanclub and he loved it, as did Norman Blake who persuaded Francis to put the record out on Shoeshine (so Francis told us anyway).

Reviews that followed were pretty great from UNCUT, Mojo, Q, the Irish Times, and John Peel played the opening track a couple of times on his show. We’re kind-of proud of this record and the tour that followed, and realise that there’s probably a whole generation of music heads who haven’t heard it, so we’re giving it away for free via bandcamp.

It's excellent alright. The other one is deadly too.

Yeah I think the second is even better. Loved that debut though, seem to have misplaced my copy somewhere along the line so looking forward to downloading it again and giving it a blast this eve.

Boa Morte

Before There Was Air

Gare Du Nord Records
Release: Friday September 27

Before There Was Air
is only the band’s third album in two decades, but that mirrors the stately pace of their music. Set for release this September, Before There Was Air sees Boa Morte infuse their brand of slow-burning, alternative folk with elements of electronic, ambient and new-classical music. The album was recorded last year at Herbert Place Studios, with James Darkin at the desk. To fully capture the subtleties of the band’s quiet dynamic, Darkin installed them in the same room with the mics opened wide. The basic tracks were then layered with analogue synths, drones, piano, wind, strings and effects. This distinctive compositional and textural mix prompted both London’s Gare Du Nord Records and Tremolo Publishing to sign the band this year.

Boa Morte formed in Cork, Ireland in 1998, rising from the dust of a couple of ragged but respected indie bands. By the end of that year, the band released their Passenger, Measure Your Time debut EP, produced by Mark Carolan. That record sparked significant record label interest, culminating in the band signing to US label Moodfood Records, home of Ryan Adams and Whiskeytown.

The debut album was produced by Daniel Presley, well respected for his work with Spain and The Breeders. But just before the scheduled release date, Moodfood went bankrupt. It took the band (and their lawyers) until 2002 to recover the tapes.

In stepped Shoeshine Records, the Glasgow imprint run by Teenage Fanclub drummer Francis MacDonald. In July 2002, Soon It Will Come Time To Face The World Outside, Boa Morte’s debut album, was released to widespread critical acclaim. Those impressed by the record included Uncut, Mojo, Q Magazine and John Peel. The band toured throughout Ireland and the UK with the likes of Teenage Fanclub and Calexico.

Boa Morte’s second album, The Dial Waltz (2009) followed a similar aesthetic and was equally well-received, Q magazine hailing the record as a “supremely elegant sound-track for staring into your half-empty pint.”

But now the glass is full again. You can hear a decade of listening on Before There Was Air, a record that distils broad musical influences to enhance their singular, tuneful avant-folk, while remaining distinctly Boa Morte.

Live Dates:

Friday September 13 - Crane Lane, Cork (Sounds from a Safe Harbour)
Friday September 20 - Glucksman Theatre, Cork
Saturday October 19 - The Roundy, Cork
Thursday October 24 - Barbello, Dublin

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back