Blokes thread - girls are allowed but will be patronised and their opinions ignored (1 Viewer)

Ah! *pats Jane's head*

jane said:
I could say ...like to drink wine, eat nice food and ... music ...make you feel nice... woman... makeup
DOES ANYONE HAVE A LEND OF A MONKEY WRENCH FOR THE WEEKEND? I'VE SOME PLUMMING TO DO.

(typing in bold capitals makes me more manly).

hag said:
i love the way the girls i hang out with don't obsess over make-up, handbags and clothes and this lifestyle forum has really done a lot to reinforce my appreciation of them.
Haggis can you clarify what you mean by obsessing? Is talking to the other nice ladies on Thumped about it obsessing?
And, if it is, does that mean you don't appreciate your friends who do obsess? I got a little offended by that comment is all, and I'm not sure if I should have.

oh...and grrrrr

Dont Pretend ya dont like it ;)

4-noplay.3.gif

hag said:
well, it's the whole falling into the trap thing, isn't it... people being fed other people's ideas of how they should look... and then people falling for it and then depending on it to feel normal. cosmethics, comodities, consumerism, etc. the idea of poor liadain falling into the foundation/blusher trap makes me weep. that's all i meant. all i'm saying is that, in this crazy mixed-up world, to find a person who isn't effected by all this... it's really encouraging. and i for one appreciate people like this. that's all.
hahahaha! that's awesome. weep away. i hardly ever wear makeup. occasionally, i think i might like to do it when i having a huge dress-up. for the same reasons that kirstie said. then i realise i have no idea how or what to wear. hence, i asked. if you want to get upset because you think that's falling into some trap that's been constructed for poor ittle wiadain by the nasty make-up sellers of the world, go right ahead. it'll be bothering you a whole lot more than it'll be bothering me. and as for "being fed other people's ideas of how they should look" - i spent most of my time in school being told that i was ugly. if after that, i've still retained the idea that i'm pretty hot, actually, then i don't think you need to worry.

Super Dexta said:
hahahaha! that's awesome. weep away. i hardly ever wear makeup. occasionally, i think i might like to do it when i having a huge dress-up. for the same reasons that kirstie said. then i realise i have no idea how or what to wear. hence, i asked. if you want to get upset because you think that's falling into some trap that's been constructed for poor ittle wiadain by the nasty make-up sellers of the world, go right ahead. it'll be bothering you a whole lot more than it'll be bothering me. and as for "being fed other people's ideas of how they should look" - i spent most of my time in school being told that i was ugly. if after that, i've still retained the idea that i'm pretty hot, actually, then i don't think you need to worry.
I think a lot of women felt like that as teenagers: the way to damage an already-fragile teenage ego is to tell a young lady she is ugly. Even when -- especially in Liadain's case -- it is painfully far from the truth. And any lady (or 'wan' -- thanks, Roxy) that can come out of that feeling like she still has a lovely self is a strong lady indeed.

jane said:
I could say the same thing about why you like to drink wine, eat nice food and smoke drugs, even play music -- that you're falling into someone else's trap, buying into consumer pressures, when really, you choose to do these things because they make you feel nice.

Of course I'm aware of the consumer pressure, of the ideals that society has, but I choose to manipulate those expectations in a way that suits me. Most of us who have ever even thought about what it is to be a woman, and the ideas that others have about what we should be, are only too aware of the impact the 'aesthetic industry' has on us. So what if we choose, not to buy into it, but to use it to our own advantage? I wear makeup because I like it, not because it makes me look like someone else thinks I should. That's all.
someone said to liadain that she didn't *need* to wear make-up. no one *needs* to wear make-up. maybe you don't realise it but you or others here are feeling pressure from somewhere to live up to someone's expectations. it makes you feel good why?

aoifed said:
Haggis can you clarify what you mean by obsessing? Is talking to the other nice ladies on Thumped about it obsessing?
And, if it is, does that mean you don't appreciate your friends who do obsess? I got a little offended by that comment is all, and I'm not sure if I should have.

oh...and grrrrr
i think the thing about someone telling liadain she didn't *need* to wear some sort of make-up, implying that she porbably would at some point, just not right now, struck a chord with me. that just says to me that the whole necessity of make-up is really deeply ingrained into some people and it saddens me.

what do i mean about obsessing? remember the way we were talking about the ex and the cardiacs? talking about make-up like that, with that much passion and conviction.

Super Dexta said:
ok then :)
i think the whole lot of you could do with listening to TLC's 'unpretty'. really listen to it and hear what they're saying. they are immensely smart. have you seen their new mcdonalds campaign?

hag said:
i think the thing about someone telling liadain she didn't *need* to wear some sort of make-up, implying that she porbably would at some point, just not right now, struck a chord with me. that just says to me that the whole necessity of make-up is really deeply ingrained into some people and it saddens me.

what do i mean about obsessing? remember the way we were talking about the ex and the cardiacs? talking about make-up like that, with that much passion and conviction.
Can I refer you to a post on another thread where I was the one who said no one needs to wear makeup?

Jesus, Hag, no one needs to do anything, and I'm not telling anyone what they should or shouldn't do. And anyway, Liadain's wise enough to know whether or not she wants to check out wearing makeup. Now or ever.

And how is exchanging makeup tips with friends who wear it, and with others who ask about it pressuring anyone? Who are you to dictate what someone should or shouldn't do? Should I stop doing things that make me feel nice just because I might have been influenced by external ideas?

jane said:
Can I refer you to a post on another thread where I was the one who said no one needs to wear makeup?

Jesus, Hag, no one needs to do anything, and I'm not telling anyone what they should or shouldn't do. And anyway, Liadain's wise enough to know whether or not she wants to check out wearing makeup. Now or ever.

And how is exchanging makeup tips with friends who wear it, and with others who ask about it pressuring anyone? Who are you to dictate what someone should or shouldn't do? Should I stop doing things that make me feel nice just because I might have been influenced by external ideas?
maybe. who knows. i didn't say anyone was putting pressure on anyone else. as far as i can make out, the damage has already been done. the fears etc. are already in there.
and there's no need to turn this around by implying i was being patronising where liadain is concerned. that was not how i meant it and you know it.

my initial post on this thread was just me expressing a preference for how i'd like the world to be. it would be great if no one felt any pressure to live up to any sort of ideals as to how they should look. that would be fantastic. but i know it's unrealistic. and the main idea i was trying to get across was that it's really really refreshing to meet and know people who are seemingly untouched by the pressures of the fashion and cosmethic industries these days. it's fucking great.

THere's a bunch of (obviously) very intelligent women wanting to talk about make up here. I won't make any assumptions or judgements beyond that.

Hag, I hear where you're coming from, with all the love, but it's coming across as patronising here on the interweb.

aoifed said:
THere's a bunch of (obviously) very intelligent women wanting to talk about make up here. I won't make any assumptions or judgements beyond that.

Hag, I hear where you're coming from, with all the love, but it's coming across as patronising here on the interweb.
it's not supposed to. foundation is really annoying the way it just rubs off on the shoulder of my coat when i'm walking with someone. it's like dandruff.

aoifed said:
Ahem... I think I should refer you to the title of the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back