Blokes thread - girls are allowed but will be patronised and their opinions ignored (1 Viewer)

billygannon

Contributor
Grrrrrr
lumberjack.jpg

http://www.seasite.niu.edu/Tagalog/...Culture/Regional Cultures/bikolano/hammer.jpg

i love the way the girls i hang out with don't obsess over make-up, handbags and clothes and this lifestyle forum has really done a lot to reinforce my appreciation of them.

hag said:
i love the way the girls i hang out with don't obsess over make-up, handbags and clothes and this lifestyle forum has really done a lot to reinforce my appreciation of them.
Since my opinion will be ignored:

I think men who have strong opinions about whether women should or shouldn't wear makeup and/or like handbags are actually just afraid of the fact that it might represent an assertion of control over their self-esteem, ability to make decisions for themelves, or simply ability to assert themselves, and will be less likely to relinquish it to a man.

Re: Blokes thread - girls are allowed but will be patronised and their opinions ignor

i was told that women wear make-up because companies run by men tell them to.

Re: Blokes thread - girls are allowed but will be patronised and their opinions ignor

broken arm said:
i was told that women wear make-up because companies run by men tell them to.
yeah, reminds me of that joke:

Why Do women wear perfume and make-up?

Cos they're ugly and they smell.

Bag'o'cans said:
They love it.
they're worth it it.

of course, i mean the make-up is worth loads thus making these cosmetic men rich

i'm joking of course

Wavioli said:
yeah, reminds me of that joke:

Why Do women wear perfume and make-up?

Cos they're ugly and they smell.
Cos men like it. Badum chHHHH

make up is just decoration for your face, same as bobbins, and clips are decorations
for your hair, nothing more sinister to it.

back to the thread.

Grrrrr

miners.jpg

yeah, I don't think it stands up to too much analysis either. It's just stuff you can get to put on yourself if you choose.

jane said:
well, it's the whole falling into the trap thing, isn't it... people being fed other people's ideas of how they should look... and then people falling for it and then depending on it to feel normal. cosmethics, comodities, consumerism, etc. the idea of poor liadain falling into the foundation/blusher trap makes me weep. that's all i meant. all i'm saying is that, in this crazy mixed-up world, to find a person who isn't effected by all this... it's really encouraging. and i for one appreciate people like this. that's all.

jane said:
Since my opinion will be ignored:

I think men who have strong opinions about whether women should or shouldn't wear makeup and/or like handbags are actually just afraid of the fact that it might represent an assertion of control over their self-esteem, ability to make decisions for themelves, or simply ability to assert themselves, and will be less likely to relinquish it to a man.
oh sweet fucking jemima. we should stick to food. can't believe you implied that you think that about me.

hag said:
well, it's the whole falling into the trap thing, isn't it... people being fed other people's ideas of how they should look... and then people falling for it and then depending on it to feel normal. cosmethics, comodities, consumerism, etc. the idea of poor liadain falling into the foundation/blusher trap makes me weep. that's all i meant. all i'm saying is that, in this crazy mixed-up world, to find a person who isn't effected by all this... it's really encouraging. and i for one appreciate people like this. that's all.
I could say the same thing about why you like to drink wine, eat nice food and smoke drugs, even play music -- that you're falling into someone else's trap, buying into consumer pressures, when really, you choose to do these things because they make you feel nice.

Of course I'm aware of the consumer pressure, of the ideals that society has, but I choose to manipulate those expectations in a way that suits me. Most of us who have ever even thought about what it is to be a woman, and the ideas that others have about what we should be, are only too aware of the impact the 'aesthetic industry' has on us. So what if we choose, not to buy into it, but to use it to our own advantage? I wear makeup because I like it, not because it makes me look like someone else thinks I should. That's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back