blog question (1 Viewer)

taubstumm

Supporter
Website
kvt.red
hi... i'm setting up wordpress on a website at the moment. it's going quite well so far.

however, i've hit a snag trying to upload images through the admin interface (i.e. trying to put pictures into a blog post). the post goes up fine, but when i try to upload images, i get this:

Unable to create directory /hsphere/local/home/[username]/[site name]/[directory name]/wp-content/uploads/2006/03. Is its parent directory writable by the server?

so, no pictures in the post.

now, this is all at the outer limits of my web type knowledge (i normally stick to css), but i'm guessing that i'll have to set file permissions on a directory somewhere.

does anyone here use wordpress, and had any kind of similar experience? does anyone know which directory i'll have to set the permissions on, what i'll have to set them to, and what's the easiest way to do it?

i'm using smartftp to upload stuff - i think i can do it with this, but if anyone can suggest a better/easier way, please let me know.

thanks...

heh... i was just about to post an update and saw that there was already a reply. nimble fingaz icuh8n, they call him.

i'd actually just done exactly what you've said. i chmod-ed all the directories in the file path to 777. it means that i can now upload images.

however, i have a replacement problem: it seems that i can't insert the uploaded images into posts. i mean in the basic where-do-i-click-to-insert-an-uploaded-image-into-a-post kind of way.

so, how do i do that, does anyone know? i'm presuming it's something pretty simple. (or do i have to manually insert the file paths to the uploaded images for every image i want to insert in a post? that'd be a drag.)

hmm
I've set up wordpress blogs a few times and have never had this problem. So in summary, I cannot help.

figured this out. i've plenty of other small problems with it so far though, so i might be back to this thread soon....

arghargharghargh

in the process of moving the blog from a folder of one domain to the root level of a new domain (ie from olddomain.com/folder to newdomain.com), i've managed to screw stuff up.

i'm still not exactly sure what it is i've broken, but that uploading images problem is back again. this time, when i chmod folders to 777, they revert to 755 after i go into them or upload stuff to them (!).

what the fuck? how do i stop that happening? dear thumped, please help before i end up a whimpering ball on the floor.

right.

people, i'm at the tearing-my-hair-out stage on this one.

i deleted the entire thing and started again from scratch. ended up with the same problem. did the chmod 777 thing, no luck.

to anyone who can help: i'll gladly give ftp access to the server, and admin access to the blog backend, if anyone wants to have a look around and see what's up with it. preferably someone who'll arrive like light in the dark and free me of my woes. any takers?

It sounds like its inheriting those permissions from another folder...if nothing's forthcoming, pm me.

(cannot guarantee prompt service, due to [strike]thumped posting[/strike] work, but should be able to have a look today, certainly)

tom. said:
i mean in the basic where-do-i-click-to-insert-an-uploaded-image-into-a-post kind of way.

so, how do i do that, does anyone know? i'm presuming it's something pretty simple. (or do i have to manually insert the file paths to the uploaded images for every image i want to insert in a post? that'd be a drag.)
I think, in wordpress, that you do have to manually insert them. It gives you the code, and you have to copy and paste it into the blog entry

I think. I only started to set up wordpress once, then changed my mind and rewrote it all, keeping just the look of the admin section (which is lovely). bblog is a simpler, no frills, blogging thing, set that up once no problem. Don't think it allows uploads though

i just did a last-minute check again before emailing my hosting provider about it all, and...

...it worked.

although that's a big relief, i'm still none the wiser as to what was wrong to begin with, and whether or not it'll go wrong again. it wasn't working last night, and nothing has changed since then. kraxxxy.

this is also a bit annoying, because i don't like ending up with a fix for something that's broken, without ever being able to find out what was broken in the first place. so i'm going to do a bit of messing around with it later on and see if anything strange happens. but for now, consider this one to have been solved by the age-old solution of turning off the computer and having a good night's sleep instead.

(also, quick info for cormac: you do have to insert images into posts in wordpress, but the advantage of uploading them via the admin interface is that it automatically saves an alt and title attribute for every image and automatically inserts them when you put one of them into a blog entry. it also saves you from having to manually f.t.p. every image up when you want to use it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back