Bill Callahan (1 Viewer)

There are plenty of artists who do simple and lovely. Personally a large part of what appeals to me about Callahan's songwriting is his talent for dark, witty lyrical touches. That and taking the occassional musical u turn. I'm talking about stuff like 'Ex Con', 'Bloodflow' 'Held'. Anyway, I guess the argument is really whether you think 'America' is a good song or not, you don't and I do.

Can't wait for the new album. The last one was a bit disappointing but Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle is fantastic. What a closing song.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Heard this for the first time yesterday. Great song. Sounds like something I would have played on constant repeat about 15 years ago. My favourite Smog tempo..

Terrible review here:
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18491-bill-callahan-dream-river/

Not terrible in that the journo clearly loves it (and Apocalypse) but she clearly has no clue what she's talking about.

...on Smog's 1997 album Red Apple Falls, and it's striking to consider how much has changed in the years since. Callahan's baritone has lowered about an octave; he used to sing through his nose but now his voice (a much richer and more resonant instrument) seems to come direct from the murkiest depths of his lungs. His arrangements have also grown more sparse, and on all fronts he’s learned how to say more with less. It’s one of many paradoxes in Callahan’s music, that in abandoning a method of singing more traditionally considered “expressive,” he's actually learned how to express more.

Surely the inverse is true? Nothing could be sparser than early Smog records. His recent stuff is far lusher with more time spent on arrangements. It's also more open and less tricky lyrically. I enjoy both sides to Bill Callahan but in trying to heap praise she sort of does a disservice to his stellar back catalogue and really I wouldn't trust this review as far as I could throw it.

Spent most of today listening to the new album. Its great. Some lovely optimistic moments.

I really like it; quite light and breezy feel to it overall; it's beautifully played and recorded. The lead guitar playing is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back