Bill Callahan (1 Viewer)

It's on sale now in Tower 2 weeks early.... thanks to the leakers

http://www.facebook.com/#!/TowerRecordsDublin

http://www.facebook.com/#

Tower Dublin
The new Bill Callahan album, Apocalypse, has been released 2 weeks early and is available to buy now at 12.99. It would appear it leaked on-line and Bill decided to bring it out immediately. Finally internet thieves manage to do something that benefits record store staff. Listening to it now and it isn't disappointing in the least. Plus the artwork is gorgeous - gladly artwork can't be downloaded!

I'm a bit late coming to the table on this one, but the last record is fan-fucking-tastic. I think I was in the vast minority who found 'Sometimes..' a bit dull. Pretty, yes, but just a tad safe and boring. Apocolypse is brimmed full of unexpected jazzy flourishes, and 'America' is one of his finest songs since the Smog days.

New album on the way - Bill Seems happy about it anyway:

Bill-Callahan-608x397.jpg

I must re-investigate this fella. Lost touch over the past few albums.

He looks very content there. Wonder who he's courtin' these days. Cat Power, Joanna Newsom - serious ex's

Favourite Smog song: Your New Friend
Favourite Smog album: Wild Love
Favourite Smog album sleeve: The Doctor Came At Dawn

covers-smog-the-doctor-came-at-dawn.jpg

I must re-investigate this fella. Lost touch over the past few albums.

Favourite Smog song: Your New Friend

Love that song. It's from a Peel session, isn't it? From the Kicking A Couple Around EP? Could be a contender for best Smog release.

And this gem:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I came to your party empty-handed

I've been careless with checking out the post-Smog stuff too. Maybe it's the loss of the alias. That and I think a growing recording relationship with Neil Michael Hagerty mainly because I've always been confused by Royal Trux and their acclaim. They sound like bottom-of-the-barrell, po-mo Rolling Stones nonsense to me. But I think Hagerty's grown up a bit since. Sometimes was pretty good but I've been lazy checking out the Callahan era.

Favourite Smog album: Knock, Knock.

Decent interview here from 2009 done by the lad who wrote those Kelly Reichardt films, Old Joy and Wendy & Lucy

http://bombsite.com/issues/108/articles/3300

Yeah Peel session. I love the way its all about his vocals - almost acapella, with only a hint of acoustic guitar

Knock Knock is great and in fairness is easily up there with Wild Love. Just different.

Thats a great interview. I love when musicians discuss books, movies and other bands. He's a very giving interviewee. I remember he once did one of those quick question-answer type pieces in Uncut. Don't remember any of the actual questions, only that he was very amusing.

Love that song. It's from a Peel session, isn't it? From the Kicking A Couple Around EP? Could be a contender for best Smog release.

Favourite Smog album: Knock, Knock.

I'm a bit late coming to the table on this one, but the last record is fan-fucking-tastic. I think I was in the vast minority who found 'Sometimes..' a bit dull. Pretty, yes, but just a tad safe and boring. Apocolypse is brimmed full of unexpected jazzy flourishes, and 'America' is one of his finest songs since the Smog days.

i couldnt disagree more sir.

that America song is easily one of the worst songs ive heard from him in years.

really looking forward to the new one. i think he's come along way since Smog

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back