BIKES - converting city bike to touring? (1 Viewer)

broken arm

i have a fairly low range city bike - it is sturdy for getting around town.

Would it be possible to replace most of the components to make the bike suitable for touring? Nothing majorly long distance.

what kind of things should I get? and how much should I expect to pay?

this is what I have at the moment

rb_comet.jpg

http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/index.php?bikeID=17&seriesID=37&show_bike=TRUE

herself has a raleigh pioneer or something.

wouldn't know off hand. At a guess though, it'd probably be difficult to completely convert over.

I'd say look at specs for touring bikes and compare with your own, in particular in relation to geometry.

I've never had a touring bike but a lad I worked with had one. Its wheels were between hybrid and racer in size. I'd imagine the frame is custom built to take wheels that size whereas a mountain bike, hybrid or racer probably couldn't (unless you could change your front forks).

Also, he had a standard Ultegra groupset on his bike. That wouldn't really be suitable for a hybrid, given the wheel dimensions (though maybe it would - I dunno). The hybrid groupset is probably ok in itself though, but I don't know if the back block would sit on a tourer's rear wheel. I'm sure it possibly would though.

Then theres the handlebars. Again, you'd need to check the geometry of your stem and see if it could take a set of dropped handlebars. If it could, then obviously you'd need to recable the brakes and the gears to work off whatever levers you decide to put on it.

And I reckon for a tourer, if you did plan on doing reasonably long distances, you would need dropped handlebars.

It seems a big enough job to me.

I believe Dunchee did a post before describing a cycling holiday he went on. Have a look for that, iirc it has useful info on what you'd need on a bike for touring.

It would be a lot of effort and not particularly cheap to convert I reckon.

I believe Dunchee did a post before describing a cycling holiday he went on. Have a look for that, iirc it has useful info on what you'd need on a bike for touring.

It would be a lot of effort and not particularly cheap to convert I reckon.

i have been on touring holidays around ireland back in the day on a not expensive raleigh pioneer hybrid and that was fine. i pnly had two back panniers and no tent etc.

Now that I'm a bit older I'm a bit more cautious about being straded somewhere with a snapped frame....

I reckon any bike that's well maintained and comfortable will do a lot better than you expect. The route's you take could be harder with certain gear ratios,but that could be predicted beforehand.
Loads of people do huge distances on hybrid type bikes or mountain bikes(Dunchee)Don't be put off by thinking you need loads of fancy high end expensive parts but don't skimp either.

i have a fairly low range city bike - it is sturdy for getting around town.

Would it be possible to replace most of the components to make the bike suitable for touring? Nothing majorly long distance.

what kind of things should I get? and how much should I expect to pay?

this is what I have at the moment

http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/index.php?bikeID=17&seriesID=37&show_bike=TRUE

herself has a raleigh pioneer or something.

I'd say that bike would fine for light touring with some mudguards, a rack and some panniers. maybe some wider tyres for comfort if they'll fit. Ridgeback make good bikes so i wouldn't worry about snapping a frame. touring bikes tend to have a relaxed geometry and longer wheelbase which helps absorb road shock. if you're comfortable around town on your bike and it doesn't feel too harsh or bumpy i'd say go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back