Bike to Work (since you all love talking about bikes) (1 Viewer)

Jill Hives

Once Removed
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
25.media.tumblr.com
Okay, I say I am going to do this every year but this time I mean it. I want a bike again since I have a place where I can bring it inside at night. Rothar is listed as one of the accepted retailers and I want a second hand bike (or a cheaper new one) so I was thinking I would go to them to see what they have or could do. Thing is, I need help with what it is I actually want.

1. Lightweight (I had a really old bike before and it was heavier than hell and hard to pedal despite looking awesome)
2. Good on road and a bit of rough patches too.
3. A female frame so I can still wear skirts.
4. A place to put a wire basket and or bags.

My most favorite of my stolen bikes was one where I pedaled backward to stop, they probably don't make those anymore, do they? Also the best lock and/or combination of locks to prevent this one from being stolen too. Lights, helmets and any other things I should bundle into the cost. Help please.

A steel frame ladies bike is what you want. Also two brakes, fuck that back pedal stuff unless you;re fixed gear. Now do you want single speed or gears?

This type of thing with or without basket. We actually have a couple of suitable frames in our backyard that rothar could build up for you. I think the sizes would be about right.

0001093_2013_creme_cafe_racer_doppio_ladies_city_bike.jpeg

Is 'rothar' a bike garage? Or someone's nickname?

I hope it's someone's nickname

A steel frame ladies bike is what you want. Also two brakes, fuck that back pedal stuff unless you;re fixed gear. Now do you want single speed or gears?

This type of thing with or without basket. We actually have a couple of suitable frames in our backyard that rothar could build up for you. I think the sizes would be about right.

0001093_2013_creme_cafe_racer_doppio_ladies_city_bike.jpeg

So if I were to just go in to the Fade Street place and say I want a ladies city bike they could build one up from parts? I don't really care what it looks like as long as it works and doesn't kill me carrying it up two flights of stairs. Do Rothar sell baskets, locks, lights and the rest? Best lock?

Yeah they should have everything. I wouldn't use the term city bike though, just lady's or step-through steel frame but that's just me. Best lock imo is a kryptonite which they also sell. Ask them about supplying your own frame/bits too.

I've been looking at bike shop sites all night. I'm gonna check out a few shops in person on Saturday to get a better idea. I should have done this two years ago.

1. Lightweight (I had a really old bike before and it was heavier than hell and hard to pedal despite looking awesome)
2. Good on road and a bit of rough patches too.
3. A female frame so I can still wear skirts.
4. A place to put a wire basket and or bags.

I'd say stick your budget onto that list, print it off, take it to a few shops and see what they can do for you. It's a good list.

Try Cliff in Eurocycles on South William Street as well. He'll tell you the difference between shit and shinola.

Ask the lads what locks are no use

Then have a stroll around the city centre with some bolt cutters and pick out your bike

Jill, I had this bike for years. Aluminium, which is light, fat tyres for stability and comfort, internal hub gears which are low maintainance and clean (and in the case of this bike at least, had a good enough range to manage the climb up to Marlay Park). And mudguards. They're important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back