bike service - reasonable price? (1 Viewer)

JohnnyRaz

where the crow ate the man
Supporter
whats a reasonable price for a bike service? excluding parts or anything?

going to drop my yoke in - or figure out how to do it myself - depending on answers.

its a complete crock, but still going. just the gears are slipping a bit..

whats a reasonable price for a bike service? excluding parts or anything?

going to drop my yoke in - or figure out how to do it myself - depending on answers.

its a complete crock, but still going. just the gears are slipping a bit..
I'd guess about 60-80 quid
But I usually let them do whatever it needs, so it balloons pretty quickly

I go cheap on a lot of things, but not that

The guy in City Cycles in Fairview is a total straight shooter and will not gouge you.
I needed a pump for a race (required kit, but didn't actually need one if you get me).
When he heard that he just sold me a used one (works fine) for a fiver.

Does lots of small things for nothing.

I'd guess about 60-80 quid
But I usually let them do whatever it needs, so it balloons pretty quickly

I go cheap on a lot of things, but not that

The guy in City Cycles in Fairview is a total straight shooter and will not gouge you.
I needed a pump for a race (required kit, but didn't actually need one if you get me).
When he heard that he just sold me a used one (works fine) for a fiver.

Does lots of small things for nothing.

I might drop into them then. I've been in and out of little sport recently and they seem sound enough as well.

I have a chain wear checking tool if you want to try it. You could also take a photo of the teeth in the chainrings and post them here - if they're sharkfinned you may need a new chain, cassette and chainrings...

A lot of things can be improved by giving the bike & chainset a really good clean.
Plus it's much nicer to work on bikes that aren't absolutely minging. I rarely charged more for bikes that were disgusting, but it makes everything so much easier and allows the mechanic work quicker.
Once it's cleaned, give it a bit of lube.

If the gears are slipping it might be something like the little wheel thing on the rear mech might need a few twists. There's a cable that runs into it that pulls the mech into place. That cable can stretch over time. If you hold the bike up, and turn the pedals you should be able to find zones where the chain seems to be engaging most quietly.

(Not that you shouldn't get it serviced too.)

actually, if the entire chainset it a write off there's no point in cleaning it.

Stick up a photo. If you can put the chain on the big ring, and lift the midpoint of where it's touching the chainwheel to the extent you can see the entire tooth, the chain is knackered. (The chain is probably knackered.)
That leaves the sprockets, we'd usually swap (chain and sprockets) out together unless the chain was in fairly good nick. (Customer bikes would almost never have chains in this range.)

That leaves the chain rings, and you can see if they're junk by looking for shark fin looking teeth.

actually, if the entire chainset it a write off there's no point in cleaning it.

Stick up a photo. If you can put the chain on the big ring, and lift the midpoint of where it's touching the chainwheel to the extent you can see the entire tooth, the chain is knackered. (The chain is probably knackered.)
That leaves the sprockets, we'd usually swap (chain and sprockets) out together unless the chain was in fairly good nick. (Customer bikes would almost never have chains in this range.)

That leaves the chain rings, and you can see if they're junk by looking for shark fin looking teeth.

can't get it on the highest gear ring on the pedal side - which I probably should have said..
I'll stick a few shots up for your input this evening

couple of times a week at best - but I might start using it commute in the summer.

My own thing is that I anything I use regularly I should be willing to spend money on
Bed, TV, bike, couch, headphones
Doubly so for bike cos my life is counting on it at times

Not everyone's situation is the same though, but I would be willing to spend a few quid to get a commuting bike working well

this isn't meant to sound preachy; I just want you to have a beautiful bike and a beautiful biking experience

can't get it on the highest gear ring on the pedal side - which I probably should have said..
I'll stick a few shots up for your input this evening
on the chainring?
As in the front mech isn't quite pulling the chain up onto the big ring?
There's probably an adjuster wheel on the front mech shifter too, which could be screwed out a little.

hmm. new cabling too!

(just might need some extra tension in the cable)
yeah, sounds like this is the likeliest cause.

I'd give the limiter screw a little twist too, to see if that lets it pop into the highest chainring.

but it all sounds a bit hacky. Best to get it fixed properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back