Big Star Boxset (1 Viewer)

Big Star are one of my "Looks good on paper" bands. They have all the ingrediants of a band I would normally love but when I finally sat down to listen to them (and I've tried many times) it just didn't click. I'm not sure why, I even like the bands they've spawned -- like Wilco and Teenage Fanclub but Big Star never leaves an impression.

If I see that boxset going cheapo I might get it. The CD's I have (a twofer with both both albums) sounds a bit weedy.

If I see that boxset going cheapo I might get it. The CD's I have (a twofer with both both albums) sounds a bit weedy.

There's three albums, isn't there...? I think the first, #1 Record is my favorite, though Radio City has some classic songs like September Gurls and I'm In Love With A Girl. Maybe Third/Sister Lovers is an Alex Chilton solo album really.

I Am The Cosmos is pretty great. Usual crank moan, but I'm not a big fan of the bonus tracks being chucked in with the album proper. The David Bell photo on the cover is fantastic. They should make it into a gatefold cover.

Yeah, Big Star Third was made by Alex Chilton with help from fellow Star Jody Stephens. Produced by Jim Dickinson I think, who recently passed away.

I like that album even less than the first two, but "Stroke it Noel" is a lovely song.

I'd give the boxset a miss then if i were you. Definitely seems for completists.

Big Star are one of my "Looks good on paper" bands. They have all the ingrediants of a band I would normally love but when I finally sat down to listen to them (and I've tried many times) it just didn't click. I'm not sure why, I even like the bands they've spawned -- like Wilco and Teenage Fanclub but Big Star never leaves an impression.

Heard In the Street box set version on the radio the other night...was fuckin awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back