Bicycle maintenance (1 Viewer)

wageslave

Hi folks,

So I bought my bike before Xmass and have had it serviced once (for free)since then (just tightened up the cables basically). i was cycling into town with my housemate last week who reckoned my bike was really noisy. Didn't notice myself to be honest.

I'm of the 'if its not broken don't bother your hole' school of thought but maybe I should be bothering my hole. What do youse all do to keep yr bike in decent nick, and how often do you do it?

depends on the noise...
if the chain is giggling around the sprocket, being slightly pushed off it by hte rear mech it will be a little noisy.
This is cable stretch can be adjusted away and isnt a big deal.

Sometimes your bottom bracket will creak, or click. This might or might not be a problem. If its a sealed BB it doesnt matter. Ride it till it breaks. Make sure your cranks are tight, and there is no lateral movement there.

Almost everybody's tyres are under inflated. And that makes a noise.

Sometimes pedals make a noise, but that doesn't matter, as almost everyone's pedals are shit, and you ride them till they fall off anyway.

That's it really. Sometimes there can be mad causes of noise, like a crack in your frame, causing a wheel to rub on something. Look at the frame to see if there are any polished bits there.

Yeah. Sorry I cant be more specific. I'd need more details.

edit : I assume that you oiled the chain now and again? A dry chain can make noise too.

Oiling your chain and pumping your tyres up real hard make an amazing difference to how easy it is to cycle your bike. Do those things

this is true.
I used to be a mechanic. Most of the time the people would barely notice the real work we would do, but we always gave the chain and mechs a spray of lube, and pumped up the tyres, and the punters thought we were Gods.

Seriously. I had computer science lecturers, who I ended up working with, who remembered me from years ago, smart guys, who regaled their friends with stories along the lines of :
"All I did was take it in for new brakes... and, and... it was like they gave me a NEW BIKE, it virtually rode ITSELF home, what did you do to the bike, it was amazing. I could never figure out what they did to it."

Presumably his tyres were at 5 psi, and his chain was like a bar.

People often dont see the really simple explanations.

I did an introductory bike maintenance course last summer. It was really useful. I can sort out most of the basic problems and since I spent so much on the bastard, I figure I may as well keep it in good nick. Plus, it makes it easier to cycle.

I do what people have said here, but also oil/grease the brake line every 6 months to keep them from sticking. I do try to keep the gears as well tuned as possible. Ye get the nack after a while.

But the course was great because each bike is put together a little differently, and it helped in understanding what all the bits do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back