Bicycle buying dilemmas (1 Viewer)

wageslave

Ok, so the specialized second hand bike I was looking to buy fell through and my own bike got nicked on Tuesday night. I need a bike to get to work so am gonna buy one this Saturday I reckon.

My budget is around €500 -€600 but if I'm gonna be spending that kinda cash I really want to get something decent. I want a light bike but one with straight handlebars. From looking online my choice in that price range seems to be down to things like these:

Specialized Sirrus: €599 in a few places
specializedSirRus.jpg

Specialized A1 Premium Aluminum frame, fully manipulated tubing, compact design, integrated headset, hourglass speedstays
Specialized Comp fork, A1 Premium Aluminum legs, Cr-Mo steerer
Specialized 3D forged stem and Specialized Event, A1 Premium Aluminum bar
Body Geometry Comfort II grips, triple density gel
Alex R500, 700c, alloy double wall, machined sidewall rims
Body Geometry Milano Comfort Max saddle
Alloy suspension seatpost

Trek 7.3 fx € 559- from kilgrews for example

73fx.jpg

[FONT=Tahoma, Tahoma]Frame Alpha SL Aluminum[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Tahoma]Fork Cro-Moly w/lowrider mounts, straight blades[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Tahoma]Wheels Alloy front, Shimano Deore rear hub; Bontrager Camino rims[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Tahoma]Crank Shimano T303 48/38/28 w/chainguard[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Tahoma]Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Tahoma]Sizes 15, 17.5, 20, 22.5, 25"; Women's 15, 17, 20, 22.5[/FONT]

Giant FCR 3 € 559 from Kilgrews and cyclesuperstore.ie

FCR%203%2007.jpg

FRAME ALUXX aluminium
FORK CroMo, rigid
STEM GIANT Comp aluminium
SHIFTERS Shimano EZ Fire 24 speed
FRONT MECH Shimano 440
REAR MECH Shimano Sora
BRAKES Tektro linear pull
BRAKE LEVERS Shimano
CRANKS FSA 30/42/52
WEIGHT 10.75kg/23.6lb
SIZES 46.5, 50, 55.5cm

Lapierre RCR 100 '08 - €475 from cyclesuperstore.ie

870044.jpg

• Frame : ALU 7005 T4-T6
  • Fork : CRMO
  • Headset : AHEAD SET 1-1/8
  • Bottom Bracket : CH52 A CARTRIDGE 118MM
  • Crankset : SHIMANO FCM191 38X38X48
  • Stem : ALU ADJUSTABLE
  • Seatpost : ALU 27.2X350
  • Handlebars : ALU 6061 DB
  • Front derailleur : SHIMANO FDR443
  • Rear derailleur : SHIMANO 2200 8S
  • Brakes : PROMAX ALU RC459
  • Shifters : SHIMANO STEF50 3x8S
  • Saddle : LP CRUISER
  • Wheel : Hubs : SHIMANO RM 40 / 30 - Rims : MACH1 CFX 32 T
  • Cassette : SHIMANO HG-30 11-30
  • Tires : MICHELIN DYNAMIC 700X25
  • Weight : 10.9 kg
  • Size : 44 - 48 - 52 - 56
Anyone have any experience with any of these bikes? Which are fastest? Good or bad things to say about them? I would really appriciate any helpful advice on this.

I'd go with the Giant meself although the price on the Lapierre is very tempting.

Don't forget you'll want to budget at least 50-60 euro for locks too and you'll probably need to change out the quick release skewers too.

this one's a bit more pricey but the specs are pretty nice:

http://chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23770

23770.jpg

Lightweight and fast are probably the best things about a bike. It’s also the best description for the SL Road Comp. The Comp has mounts to fit racks and fenders.

Features:
• Frame: Alu Lite 7005 Allroad
• Size: 50, 53, 56, 59, 62
• Colour: White'n'Black
• Forks: Aluminium
• Shock:
• Headset: Ritchey Logic OE
• Stem: Ritchey OE
• Handlebars: Ritchey OE
• Rear mech: Shimano Deore LX
• Front mech: Shimano Deore
• Shifters: Shimano Deore Rapidfire-Plus
• Brakes: Shimano M421 V-Brake
• Cranks: Shimano M543 48x36x26., 175mm
• Cassette: Shimano HG50 11-32
• Chain: Shimano HG53
• Rims: Mavic A119, 28"
• Hubs: Shimano Tiagra
• Tyres: Schwalbe CX Comp 28"
• Pedals: Alloy
• Seatpost: Scape Light
• Saddle: Scape Active 2
• Weight: 10,4kg

there's a dic brake version too but they are unnecessary and add weight. no mavic rims either. dunno that much about rims but i've only ever heard good things about mavics and i have two pairs myself.

oh shit, just noticed that they are currently out of stock.

it's a good idea to go onto the shimano website and check out their parts. there is a simple hierarchy to them and so many bikes are sold with shimano parts. that'll give you a good indication of where the money is going.

you could get a road bike with drop bars and put straight bars and new brake/gear levers on it. that's if you want something super light. but aside from the extra expense of setting up new bars the bike wouldn't be as sturdy. remember that there is a trade off between price, weight, and sturdiness. to be honest, avoiding suspension, disc brakes, and the cheapest bikes will get you a bike light enough for your needs. it's cool to have a posh bike but it's your body doing all the work in terms of speed.

versatility would be a big thing for me too. i dunno if you want to be able to carry shit on the bike but a wider wheel-base and the connections on the frame for a rear rack would be important if you wanna carry shit. racers tend to have a short wheel base, making them nippier but unsuitable for carrying weight.

Usually when this topic comes up, and it comes up a lot here and there, the Giant and Specialized get the most recommendations.
It's an important purchase, take your time in the shop, ask lots of questions.

Yeah.
I normally recommend the Giant, just because of their ability to buy vast amounts of components, which drives the price of their bikes down.
And they've been building good frames lately.

That CUBE yoke looks a bit cool though. I would have one of them. Although its hard to know what the frame is like till you have taken it out and hockeyed about the place a bit.

I have the '07 RCR100 from cycle superstore. It's a bloody great bike. All Shimano gear on it too. To be honest I don't know much about the other bikes but I can defo recommend the LaPierre.

cool, all good advice. Cheers folks.

Dunchee said:
he connections on the frame for a rear rack would be important if you wanna carry shit

Yeah, I have a set of pannier bags (or whatever ya call them) a rear rack would be important.

have you checked out Giant's CRS range?

They're well within that size of a budget and are a right good, sturdy bike. They are a tad heavy though, but I can't speak highly enough of mine. I do about 100 miles a week on her and rarely have any bother.

I have the FCR3. I cycle to work about 3/4 times a week and around city centre. No probs with it. As well as a lock you'll need to buy mudguards.

Mine is an older model than the one shown. those new ones look well sexy. Got it for 500e from a shop in Dundalk (can't remember the name).

all those bikes are instant targets. get a big fuck off chain for it you can barely lift. and possibly one with a removable front wheel.

all those bikes are instant targets. get a big fuck off chain for it you can barely lift. and possibly one with a removable front wheel.
Well, spose they are, but on that note:

You’re gonna put on mud guards and a carrier, so that will make the bike less sexy to thieves.
Get two locks, you don’t necessarily need a fuck off chain, but if you get one, you could leave it wherever you usually lock the bike, rather than carrying it around.
Dirty the bike up a bit when you get it.

Always lock it beside a bike with a worse lock than yours.

It really is shit having to worry so much about having your bike robbed.
Does your job not have anywhere to stash your bike? A basement, machine room or anything? I have been pretty lucky with my jobs that way.
The commuter bike I ride at the moment was reduced to about a grand (in US dollars), but I get a cage with cameras and swipe access to lock it in in the city.
Carrying around a massive chain is crap too. I leave mine locked in the cage when the bike's not there.
Arg.
It really is so shit that you cant safely spend a few hundred quid on a bike without having to plan fort Knox security for the thing.

Anyway, you can tape up the frame, black duct tape. I normally whip the front wheel and seat post off it too. If they want to rob it, they will be carrying the bastard at least.

i've been wanting good rain proof painer bags for ages. the only ones you get in dublin are crap. my brother has a set he got in amsterdam that can hold two full shopping bags in each one. also they are rain proof
NEWCAMERA048.jpg

also this should be made a sticky as there are loads of bicycle people out there these days who havent a clue how to care for their bikes. and get frustrated when they have to keep going back to bicycle shops

my top gears keep slipping. anyone know a fix for this? tighten the chain maybe?
dont want to fork out to a shop unless i have to.

my top gears keep slipping. anyone know a fix for this? tighten the chain maybe?

probably a cable has stretched. If you are talking about the rear mech, the sprockets on the back wheel, there is a little wheeley thing around where the cable goes into the rear mech.
Turn this wheel to tighten the cable, see if this stops the problem.

Or,it could be that the chain has stretched/worn. Depends on the age and amount of use the bike has seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back