Best/Worst Britpop era bands (1 Viewer)

Yesssss

Yessss

Can't decide if I like Britpop or the well established industry that exists solely to call it out more. Truly an awful time. Need to dig through Louise Wener's book again to see if she had any nasty words about Lush in there.

Miki Berenyi: ‘The claim that Britpop celebrated sassy women in bands was a veneer’

Cannot wait to read this book!
A lot to take in in Miki Berenyi's piece but the thing that staggered me was Jo from Huggy Bear boyfriend being Graham Coxon. I can hardly imagine both of them existing in the same universe.

Yesssss

Yessss

Can't decide if I like Britpop or the well established industry that exists solely to call it out more. Truly an awful time. Need to dig through Louise Wener's book again to see if she had any nasty words about Lush in there.

Miki Berenyi: ‘The claim that Britpop celebrated sassy women in bands was a veneer’

Cannot wait to read this book!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A lot to take in in Miki Berenyi's piece but the thing that staggered me was Jo from Huggy Bear boyfriend being Graham Coxon. I can hardly imagine both of them existing in the same universe.
Ah yeah, blur had as much indie schmindie heritage as anyone, sure they started off as a Cardiacs kind of band, it's not that surprising they'd be mixing in those circles at times

I suppose if you wanted to be mean you could say it's all very student-y

Ah yeah, blur had as much indie schmindie heritage as anyone, sure they started off as a Cardiacs kind of band, it's not that surprising they'd be mixing in those circles at times

I suppose if you wanted to be mean you could say it's all very student-y

didn't Nude records try and sign Huggy Bear and who said not unless Nude dropped Suede?
Huggy Bear refused to speak to the music press and said the indie scene was as sexist as the mainstream.
I can't get my head around a feminist riot girl liking anyone in Blur.
this is the whole HUGGY BEAR - Her Jazz 1993 clip on The Word including the band off camera shouting their disapproval at the follow up segment as they were removed from the studio.
a picture of Huggy Bear singer Niki on The Word was on the cover of Melody Maker the following week with the headline:
'THIS IS HAPPENING WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION'.
they declared it the best moment on live TV since The Pistols on Bill Grundy in 1976.

H.B. guitarist Jo Johnson since the mid 2010's has released electronic music
Living in Boggerland then the only time I ever saw The Word they filmed a very drunk Oliver Reed (unaware) in his dressing room and then when Terry Christian said ''after the break live music from Ned's Atomic..'' I switched it off.
music wise it was the best thing on TV at the time particularly getting a lot of Americans artists in who wouldn't get on TV otherwise but the non music segments were seemingly crap.
One of the music papers in winter 1992 brought Katie Puckrik in for an around table debate about The Word show and it got very uncomfortable for her. the silly 'shocking' parts were lambasted by a panel of kids and there was an unfavourable comparison to The Tube.
but hey, little did we know the horrors around the corner on TFI Friday.

LUSH - Ladykillers

Miki Berenyi's song about being sexual harassed by Anthony Kedis on the 1992 Lollapalooza tour and the bassist from Weezer.

TFI Friday was really all we had back then, I'd love if the Word had stuck around until the late 90s.

It's amazing thinking back how, even aged 13 or 14, you could tell the vibe was all off but couldn't exactly say why, is this how all adults act or what?

You'd take from it whatever you could, a few good performances, maybe the odd decent joke, but there's no way of getting away from the horrendous culture of the period.

It's the same with a lot of the music writing, there absolutely WAS good stuff, but the bog standard Mark Beaumont/Sutherland - just about managing to be clever but never having anything to say - crap filled up 90% of it all.

Ultimate post britpop pre Strokes time capsule

Me and @ilovehoovering saw Helen Love at Primavera years ago, they were great but didn't play this. Not sure references to Gina G and The Longpigs would have made much sense by that point .

didn't Nude records try and sign Huggy Bear and who said not unless Nude dropped Suede?
Huggy Bear refused to speak to the music press and said the indie scene was as sexist as the mainstream.
I can't get my head around a feminist riot girl liking anyone in Blur.
this is the whole HUGGY BEAR - Her Jazz 1993 clip on The Word including the band off camera shouting their disapproval at the follow up segment as they were removed from the studio.
a picture of Huggy Bear singer Niki on The Word was on the cover of Melody Maker the following week with the headline:
'THIS IS HAPPENING WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION'.
they declared it the best moment on live TV since The Pistols on Bill Grundy in 1976.

You know, just to prove both our points, I came across Huggy Bear BECAUSE of Blur when I was about 12, but only in the context of a cheapo blur biography, where they were sniffily dismissed as flavour of the month and attention seekers. That performance is class!

Graham Coxon has a reputation for being the most nicest, most indie man on the planet, who fucking lost it completely when blur got big, i believe the Huggy Bear connection actually was part of that; he'd be getting it from both sides, so to speak. But it's makes sense that he'd have been seeking out their kind of thing, nothing surprising there. If it had been Alex going out with someone from Huggy Bear, now THAT would be a surprise.

(No idea about the Suede story, seems a bit unfair to Suede??)

Last edited:
when Bikini Kill and Hole played a London gig for women gig in spring 1993, the idea didn't get a good reaction and only 200 odd turned up.
Huggy Bear got a lot of sensationalist journalism. I think a debate in an autumn 1992 about women in music for one of the weekly papers ended in a row with the band Die Cheerleader. After that HB wouldn't speak to the press again and they had their own zine.

the comments women faced were quite surprising to me even 30 years ago. surely you'd think writing about your interviewees like this is not a good idea:
''looks like a slighty overweight Marilyn Monroe'', ''sexy young women'' weren't even the worst comments.

the letters page showed some journalists responses could be really ignorant and they would avoid admitting it at all costs.

here's a few other bands from circa 1993 connected with garagey Damaged Goods Records end of the London grrrl leaning scene.
MAMBO TAXI - Poems On The Underground

VOODOO QUEENS - Kenuwee Head

recorded off MTV 120 Minutes no less. a poor girl has crush on Keanu but realises how absurd it is.
VOODOO QUEENS - Super Model Superficial

as I often said on thumped I gave up following the music press in Sept 1993 so I ignored what came next.
Maybe the above bands were an alternate reality for the future of indie instead of OASIS.

when I heard Her Jazz I thought ''the is great - raw recording, out of tune, a woman shouting and snarling why aren't there more bands like this?'' but of course there were loads I was just about to discover.
another thing about Her Jazz was it got to the top 100 despite being only released on 7". maybe unique on that in 1993.

a friend of mine died in his early 50's recently - the first half of the 90's was his era. I got some his CDs from his mother the other day. we'd often spend ages talking about that era of music.

Dave from Blur assaults Nardwuar on camera (Coxon wasn't there).

apparently Dave used the clip as motivation to stay clean now as it wasn't an isolated incident.
there's also a 1991 Nardwuar interview with Sonic Youth where Thurston and Lee manhandled him and knocked him over and somehow thought it was hilarous.

When huggy bear played Belfast I helped out on the day and lent them my drums and maybe other stuff. They were super nice and appreciative that afternoon but seemed to piss everyone off at the gig. I vaguely remember they used the warzone pa and whoever did the sound said something along the lines of them being the most unpleasant band they'd ever worked with.
I probably didn't pay much attention as I wasnt into them.

Voodoo Queens were one of the first bands I seen live. Probably 93 in the Downtown in Letterkenny.

Mark Beaumont was definitely a snarky little rat...

Jim Wirth and the bloke who ran Fierce Panda seemed to be the only people with any sort of niche knowledge at the NME in the late 90s.

I came across an old review of a live Helmet show in an NME from '97 where the guy just shat all over them. One of the most seminal heavy acts of the early 90s. How fucking ignorant of actual music can you actually get??

Seems like a relevant thread for this

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back