Best Android Media Player? (1 Viewer)

Splunk

Looking at getting a Minix but from reading some reviews - they are not very compatible with some older tv's ( 8 years or older) and their support isn't the greatest either.

Just looking for a decent android box that is simple to set up (none of that rooting shite) ie you power it up - it searches for your wifi and you just enter the password..voila.

Also one that has the ability to stream 4k and doesn't buffer like fuck aand with feck all bloatware pre-installed. I will be getting a brand new Samsung 4k telly for myself this crimbo.

I ain't asking for much...am ?I?!?!?! (hugs) (y)

Not a direct answer to your question, but I got the Windows 10 version of the Minix (pretty much the same price I think) and it's fantastic for what it is. You then don't have to worry about finding an android media player.

But if you still want to go android MX Player or Kodi will do the job.

Not a direct answer to your question, but I got the Windows 10 version of the Minix (pretty much the same price I think) and it's fantastic for what it is. You then don't have to worry about finding an android media player.

But if you still want to go android MX Player or Kodi will do the job.

Thanks m8..how does this windows 10 version operate. Can you play/cast it to tv via chromecast?

How much did it cost you and what benefits did you get from the box as in channels etc?..(sry for all the questions)

Thanks m8..how does this windows 10 version operate. Can you play/cast it to tv via chromecast?

How much did it cost you and what benefits did you get from the box as in channels etc?..(sry for all the questions)

It's literally the full version of windows 10. I don't know the current prices. Google is your friend. I got mine from Amazon. You connect it to your TV with a HDMI cable. You can chromecast from the Chrome browser, although as I say, it's all directly connected to your TV. All the full gambit of internet available television is at your fingertips. Or connect a hard drive with your stored media collection. Or put it on a micro SD card and stick it in the micro SD slot. Get yourself a decent all in one keyboard / trackpad and bob's your uncle.

It's literally the full version of windows 10. I don't know the current prices. Google is your friend. I got mine from Amazon. You connect it to your TV with a HDMI cable. You can chromecast from the Chrome browser, although as I say, it's all directly connected to your TV. All the full gambit of internet available television is at your fingertips. Or connect a hard drive with your stored media collection. Or put it on a micro SD card and stick it in the micro SD slot. Get yourself a decent all in one keyboard / trackpad and bob's your uncle.

I'm getting one..you have utterly convinced me. Just one more thing...what is the steaming quality like?

I'm getting one..you have utterly convinced me. Just one more thing...what is the steaming quality like?
On your 4K TV it's going to look absolute tripe.

If it's quality & something that's completely unattended you want, your setup needs to be:

- Automatic downloader of TV/Movies (Sickrage/Couchpotato). set to grab 1080p WEB-DL content.
- NAS or some big storage device to store said files.
- 4th gen Apple TV with Plex or an Intel NUC running OpenElec to play the files.

4K is in its infancy. It's a technology used to sell TVs but the actual content out there is minimal (Netflix own-produced shows, some Amazon Prime stuff). Can't think of any broadcast channel doing 4K other than a demo channel by Astra. 4K files are too large for the current preferred encoding standard du jour - h264. h265 is its successor but is processor heavy due to the greater compression. Until manufacturers start putting h265 hardware decoding chips into everything, adoption will be slow. Apple are only after putting it into the latest revisions of their MacBooks/iMacs.

[edit: oops, didn't mean for that to shit all over the party!]

On your 4K TV it's going to look absolute tripe.

If it's quality & something that's completely unattended you want, your setup needs to be:

- Automatic downloader of TV/Movies (Sickrage/Couchpotato). set to grab 1080p WEB-DL content.
- NAS or some big storage device to store said files.
- 4th gen Apple TV with Plex or an Intel NUC running OpenElec to play the files.

4K is in its infancy. It's a technology used to sell TVs but the actual content out there is minimal (Netflix own-produced shows, some Amazon Prime stuff). Can't think of any broadcast channel doing 4K other than a demo channel by Astra. 4K files are too large for the current preferred encoding standard du jour - h264. h265 is its successor but is processor heavy due to the greater compression. Until manufacturers start putting h265 hardware decoding chips into everything, adoption will be slow. Apple are only after putting it into the latest revisions of their MacBooks/iMacs.

[edit: oops, didn't mean for that to shit all over the party!]

I will still get it and wait for 4K to become more mainstream and the technology to become more advanced. This will be a nice stop gap in the meantime.

You didn't shit all over the party at all lol, actually found your post very informative and educating - you certainly seem to know your stuff! .. so thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back