Denny Oubidoux

Hangin round town
Supporter
Solutions
So what do you think?

hhalal.jpg
sd.jpg
sotr.jpg

im only putting in the first three albums. i was going to put 'em all in but really - what would be the point? they totally blanded out after stay on these roads.

I intend voting for Scoundrel Days. Its got at least six absolutely crackin tunes and even the filler isnt bad (the filler is probably only there because they werent allowed the time to come up with something better because they were, incredibly, looked upon as a boy band whos only market was teenage girls who didnt care what they sounded like but wanted more pictures...)...

anyway, scoundrel days - a very dark, edgy album with bleak lyrics ("i can still hear our screams competing/ youre hissing your Ss like a snake"), minimal arrangements and excellent drumming (particularly on the outstanding single "i've been loosing you" which has no less than three full kits being battered all the way through).

my favorite a-ha song off any album would be "stay on these roads". that album has very odd lyrics masked by accessible synth-pop disguise - check these out:

Red stains on “Eyes of a blue dog”
My pains fade as the interiors fog
The blood that moves my body
Now covers the ground

my favourite is
A-Ha-Memorial-Beach-318851.jpg

a very melancholy album. Only have a ancient taped tape copy though and it always seems to be expensive whenever I see it for sale.

Minor Earth, Major Sky would be next. A pretty cool comeback.

I think that Hunting High And Low is their weakest. One outstanding track, Train Of Thought, two ok ones, Sun Shines plus the title track, remainder is very poor filler.

Scoundrel Days is a big improvement. Mostly good especially The Swing Of Things and I've Been Losing You.

really? looks like ive made a serious error of judgement in leaving out all those albums... I listened to both "minor earth major sky" and "memorial beach" on friday but still didnt dig them much. Ive listened to scoundrel days every day this week. and you wouldnt rate "take on me" at all either? I dont know...

did you go to see them in the point a few years ago? they put on a great show and as a last encore they played a lovely accordian-led version of Locust.

really? looks like ive made a serious error of judgement in leaving out all those albums... I listened to both "minor earth major sky" and "memorial beach" on friday but still didnt dig them much. Ive listened to scoundrel days every day this week. and you wouldnt rate "take on me" at all either? I dont know...

did you go to see them in the point a few years ago? they put on a great show and as a last encore they played a lovely accordian-led version of Locust.

Take On Me has lost its shine after too much airplay.

Didn't go to the last gig in the Point but did see them in Dublin on the Scoundrel Days tour. Won tickets in a badminton club raffle.

Hunting High and Low. I won a copy of it on cassette for coming second in a treasure hunt in school.
good times. I was mostly listening to Napalm Death's From Enslavement to Obliteration at the time, so it made a nice change.

Ah that gig was soooooooooo good!
One of the best nights out ever.
Yeah for A-Ha! :D

Hunting High and Low all the way.

I'm a massive A-HA fan, always have been. Hunting HiGh and Low is deadly. I fancied Morten Harket somethin rotten. He's meant to be a real fucker tho! Me friend met Pal. Said he was sound, hes the least good lookin tho.

I love 'manhattan skyline' tho, which isnt on that album. I also love 'you are the one'.

Ah that gig was soooooooooo good!
One of the best nights out ever.
Yeah for A-Ha! :D

Hunting High and Low all the way.

it was excellent, tho the merch was all very overpriced. It was amusing the way every one stood up and went mad for the old hits and sat down and chatted for all the new ones and solo spots. Nobody minded. Highlights for me were all the scoundrel days ones - esp "the swing of things" - and "Stay on these roads". I admit i was surprised to see that mags appeared to be musically gifted and came across as leader of the band, i had always figured him to be useless.

Morten Harket's meant to be a real fucker tho!

is he?!! how so?

manhattan skyline

excellent song.

.|..| Eeeewe knaaaow!! dchnnng dchnnng dchnnng dcg dchnnngdchnnngdchnnng .|..|

- Hunting High And Low was the first album I ever bought
- My bedroom wall was covered in ridiculous A-Ha shit
- I used to tuck my jeans into my socks and wear leather wrist-thong strap thingies
- I still have their appearance on Wogan taped somewhere (Mags thought Terry's head was a different shape in real life than on TV! Oh, Maaags!)
- 'And You Tell Me' on HHAL is one of the worst songs ever written, even including one of those FortyCoats-esque keyboard sounds that RTE were so fond of
- My Aunties bought me a ticket to their gig for my birthday but by that time I was all Sisters of Mercy and The Cult and made them change it - what a prick!
- The song 'Scoundrel Days' is really fucked up

- My bedroom wall was covered in ridiculous A-Ha shit
did you have the poster book thing with 20 posters in a book with a chapter of the a-ha story written on the back of each one? My brother bought it for me in 1987, as well as an a-ha t-shirt - no idea what they managed to write 20 pages on back then. i later got the pink floyd one.

i dont really have a favourite album, i rememebr one summer in germany being captivated by that song Velvet from Minor Earth Major Sky

disappointed fan - Scoundrel Days review

stars-1-0.gif
I ordered a CD Imported and what I got was a Tape made in US, September 4, 2004
Reviewer:Carlos Renato Goncalves "Ren" (Fort Myers, Fl USA) - See all my reviews
I really wanna my money back, is not about the $ 2.99 is about respect.I hate lies and this is ridiculous is not what I ordered I will never do the same with anybody, because I don't think you or anybody else will appreciate been treat like stupid.

comment-sm.gif
Comment | Was this review helpful to you?
btn-yes-tiny.gif
btn-no-tiny.gif
(Report this)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back